Octoberfest So. County - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
resigned

Octoberfest So. County

Not exactly sure what next weekend's plans are. The catching has been off and on down here. The last two days have been awesome and we still have Bonito in the area??????????? Go figure. I'll second Jim W's post on global warming's effect on us as fishermen!

Better change the heading to Novemberfest. If anyone wants to hook up down here for the weekend of November 3rd this may be our last chance for a Foum Outing this season. The cold snap begins this week and could be EPIC!!!! Daytime tempos in the 50's. I'll be happy to get this started but am not sure of actual participation until we get closer to the weekend. We usually get a group of 10 or so guys depending on how the fishing is where they live. Why leave great fishing?

Phil
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Flats Rat

Travelling this next 2 week-ends. But from the looks of things, there might be a few fish around for a while yet.

Maybe a thanksgiving clave?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 PM
6th Year Apprentice

i was thinking of coming down next sunday or the following weekend. i had a vague plan to fish point judith light and the east wall.

what flies and lines should i think about ? - is the action mostly top water ?

cheers

Mark.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 AM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernseybass
i was thinking of coming down next sunday or the following weekend. i had a vague plan to fish point judith light and the east wall.

what flies and lines should i think about ? - is the action mostly top water ?

cheers

Mark.
300 grain.......intermediate and a floater. Bring a few old lines if the blues are there in force. A few got chewed on this weekend. One is only 40' long after three nail knotted leaders.

Phil
Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Local Boob

Have Kayak, will travel...

I'd be interested in Saturday - can't Sunday.

I agree with Adrian in that I don't think this weekend is our last chance - typically fishing up here is reasonably good till Thanksgiving (although it becomes and is very hit or miss with no pattern that I have been able to discern)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
Have Kayak, will travel...

I'd be interested in Saturday - can't Sunday.

I agree with Adrian in that I don't think this weekend is our last chance - typically fishing up here is reasonably good till Thanksgiving (although it becomes and is very hit or miss with no pattern that I have been able to discern)
Point well taken. Weather days are an important consideration. Most stayed home on Sunday during the big blow but as Juro knows all too well......it can be the best opportunity for big fish. My friend Paul braved it on Sunday at Napatree and scored a dozen or more legal fish with ten foot casts from dry sand! The blues were twenty feet out. He had three hours of the best fishing he's had all year.

Phil
Old 10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
LBFF Mojo

Small legals they were but the fishing was pretty damn good sunday at napatree. My mom was grinning like a schoolgirl having never caught anything over a few pounds. Very good time.

Fishing pretty good right now in other soco locales today. Heading out now for some more, with all the bait still in the upper bay I got a feeling we still have at least a few more weeks to go.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 PM
_

I was at Napatree Sunday afternoon and apparently arrived about an hour after the shoreline blitz ended . Still saw loads of fish swarming around but no blitzes. Got a few up to ~28" or so .

I'll probably be going to CT or RI every weekend that I can during November. If I can make it down there when you guys get together I'll try to join up with you.

Q
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Flats Rat

Hey Quentin, I know all about ziggin' when I should'a been zaggin'

Most recent occaison was figuring slack low would be a good time to take a nap at one of the SoCo beaches .......
Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Small legals they were but the fishing was pretty damn good sunday at napatree. My mom was grinning like a schoolgirl having never caught anything over a few pounds. Very good time.

Fishing pretty good right now in other soco locales today. Heading out now for some more, with all the bait still in the upper bay I got a feeling we still have at least a few more weeks to go.

-sean
Sean. So you were the 'FlyGuy" that gave Paul the 10 feet from shore advice?

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.