2 Handed Overhead Question - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM

2 Handed Overhead Question

Not sure where to post this so will start here and moderator can move at his discretion. I have had one season with 2 handed, overhead casting and finally got comfortable enough to try some night fishing. How do those of you that cast at night "mark" you lines so you know that there is the correct length out the tip to get a consistant "load" on the rod? Day-time I can see the joint of head to running line but at night I am totally "in the dark" about when to make the cast. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Hope I have expressed my question in an understandable manner. Thanks

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 AM

Pete,
I don't normally fish at night, but one suggestion would be wear a head lamp to allow you to see that joint. I use the Airflo beach line on my Atlantis and you can see that joint pretty good during the day. I would assume it would show up good in a light. Or you could do it by feel, I suppose, retrieve the line in until you feel that joint between your fingers. Then strip out enough line to get the joint where you like it at the rod tip.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Anotherway of marking the line for the correct amount of overhang would be to find the point you like and make a small nail knot of mono over the flyline, add alittle duco cement and you'll be able to feel the bump during the retreive. The nail knot won't impede the cast if its small enough. The cement is only to help ith durability of the mono. Just my $.02 Ron
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel1
Anotherway of marking the line for the correct amount of overhang would be to find the point you like and make a small nail knot of mono over the flyline, add alittle duco cement and you'll be able to feel the bump during the retreive. The nail knot won't impede the cast if its small enough. The cement is only to help ith durability of the mono. Just my $.02 Ron
Ditto to what Ron posted,if you don't feel the bump as it slides over the guides you should feel it as it slides over your finger as you retrieve. Lights at night are a no no.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Flats Rat

Just adding to Paul's comment.

Lights at night when casting are absolutely a no-no. Static lights from streetlamps (or certain restaurant decks ) can be an advantage.

But, a random head-waving beacon won't buy you many friends after dark. Certainly not on the beach and probably not in the suds either
Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Paul, Adrian- any experience with the "game friendly" green LED headlamps? Supposedly they don't spook deer (when used to find one's way to a treestand in the predawn darkness), but I wasn't sure if anyone has used them for nightfishing to see if they were an improvement over the standard white light headlamps. If no info, I may try mine on the local trout ponds at night as an experiment...if it don't spook the trout, would probably be OK for the stripers.
Flydoc
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Talking So, let me get this straight...

WHAT?!...Personal headlamps can be a issue on a crowded beach?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadLampEtiquette.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6578  
Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Damn, Pete...that one would have me singing (as well as wearing) "Sunglasses at Night"....
Flydoc
Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Phew! Good thing I don't own one of those lights! Point taken

Since I fish during the more civilized hours I had no clue lights would be such an issue. In the past I have surf casted at night & never used a light, but there was always enough ambient light to see what I was doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.