Which Non-Profits to Support? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
Which Non-Profits to Support?

Given the threads about striper status and the past one on beach access rights around the refuge, I'm curious to know which non-profit organizations people support either through time or donations.

Which groups would be good to help?

I know about the CCA but haven't really researched their effectiveness.
Nature Conservancy?
Others?

Thanks,

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM

I support CCA. I happen to belong to the Maine chapter only because my Dad does and usually ups my dues for me every year.
As a whole they have been very effective. Texas and Florida being their most publicized campaigns. Varying chapters vary in effectivness as would be expected.

Nature Conservency does good things and makes effective use of revenue. Not everybody loves them however due to their practice of shutting off public access to sensitive habitat.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Nature Conservency

Concur with what Mike says; both the good and bad. Nature Conservency as well as Sierra Club and WWF got a lot of us up in arms by trying to shut down access (on behalf of the Manatees) to Everglades National Park and parts of the 10,000 Islands.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM

In addition to, not rather than, the good groups others have listed above, consider local organizations. In the same way that we try to support local tackle shops, think about giving in your own backyard.

The Trustees of Reservations does great work (all across Massachusetts, but especially) on the Vineyard and Nantucket, keeping priceless fishing spots forever out of the reach of development. They maintain some nice inland properties on the Cape as well. The Friends of the Cape Cod National Seashore is an independent non-profit-distinct from the Feds, that augments the tax-supported resources that manage outer beaches.

Local and regional land trusts need all the help they can to put habitat out of reach of development and all the resulting pesticides and crap that find their way into water systems. I just Googled "Cape Cod conservation" and found the Compact of Cape Cod Conservation Trusts (http://www.compact.cape.com/) with a long list of local organizations, probably one or two close to where you live and fish. They need the voices--and dollars--of sportsmen as well as foaming no-access eco-luddites.

And while not everyone agrees with Stripers Forever's gamefish-only absolutism, it is New England-based, and in the absence of a CCA chapter in MA, a growing voice for the recs in the fishery.

Let us know where you make your investments of time and charitable dollars. It's a good question and worthwhile discussion.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 PM

let's not forget trout unlimited. they have perhaps almost single handidly kept the local salters (seaborn brookies) going down on the cape.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 PM

I have to question just how well Nature Conservancy uses it's money. I don't see how NC members/donors/the general public are served in the purchase of Palmyra island. Is it possible that that money could have been better spent?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 AM

I don't know anything about the island you refer to.
My point about effective use of money is simply that they purchase habitat. They may not let people use it but they at least protect it from development.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I have to question just how well Nature Conservancy uses it's money. I don't see how NC members/donors/the general public are served in the purchase of Palmyra island. Is it possible that that money could have been better spent?
Eddie, if you'd been to Palmyra you would likely feel differently. Assuming that there is value in preserving pristine habitat, IMO that was a very wise investment.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 PM

Monomoy

The Friends of Monomoy is looking for few good people to restart the group. Over the last couple of years we have had a hard time getting enough people involved to hold meetings. Best way to have first hand knowledge of whats coming down the pike for the Refuge.

If your interested contact Refuge Manager Mike Brady at 508-945-0594

Capt Keith

Last edited by Rip Ryder; 11-06-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.