Reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:24 PM

Reels

I'm looking for another reel, without spending a fortune, how do the Redington CDL titanium reels stack up and the TFO large abors TFR425
I need it to handle a 12wt and lots of backing
thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
The TFO is adequate, and a notch above the Redington. Depending on the pursued species, I'm only guessing the TFO is OK. If you are targeting pelagics, then you need a robust drag. Check Ebay for used reels.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 AM
UnderstimulatedBoneJunkie

Send a message via MSN to kyhnau
Bauer?

Hi Trevor...
How about a Bauer reel?
M6SL or M7SL at 385$ and 445$.
I've only good things about them.
Most likely buying one M5SL for bonefish myself.

-Lars
Old 10-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Most current reels are more than adequate for uses I've seen people put them to. It almost seems there's as much excitement in owning prestigeous flyfishing gear as there is in using it as a tool to catch fish with flies.
I suppose there is enjoyment in both aspects, although I often see gear importance elevated way beyond its role as a fish-catching tool, i.e. a means to an end, where the end is boating fish hooked with a fly.
Some years back I decided to see how many species I could catch with a Sci. Anglers Sys.II reel. Although admittedly low on the 'gearhead scale', it's landed everything from BFT, YFT, striped marlin, GT down to carp and pike. I don't recall ever loosing a fish directly attributable to the reel. However, I got very intimate with its internal workings, and maintain it carefully.
I read the stripping basket thread and am kind of chuckling at the amount of huff'n puff over a single reel gasket failure. We definitely seem to be lifting gear expectations beyond those required to catch fish. Nothing wrong with that, but we need to realize we're 'gearheading' and not talking fly fishing implements.

To answer your original question, I'd say both reels are probably fins. I own a TF0 375, and it's been fine, but with the following two weak points;
1. The one-way bearing is prone to rust and may lock up if left unattended. I store mine in light oil between trips.
2. The carbon drag can get sticky when wet. This is easily prevented with a light coat of good grease on the disk pad.
With those two maintenance items, A TFo 425 should last you a good long while. I suppoose the redington would have the same weaknesses, but haven't used one myself.
Whatever reel you get, learn how it works and how to keep on top of the maintenance.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Josko
What you are saying makes a lot of sense, I think we are all guilty to some degree of getting caught up in the "gear head "thing.
I Have read many opinions on rods and reels, but seldom with any concrete evidence to back what that persons is saying about that particular piece of equipment. Your comments was one of the few that did, thanks for the help
I'll give the Bauers a look at as well I think.
Thanks all
Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM

Trevor...I have owned 2 Lampson Velosity4 reels for the last 4 years.....not a problem at all....has a drag (conical) that is smooth and can stop a truck if needed and the price point is around 220..... the "4' can handler line from 8 to 12....large arbor and holds plenty of backing.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.