'Hybrid' bonefishing rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM

'Hybrid' bonefishing rod

I made a cool serendipitous discovery: broke the tip section of my 8 wt (TFO TiCr) rod, and while waiting for a replacement section (It took just 1 phone call for TFo to ship it right to Andros.) , I put on the tip section from my 7 wt TiCr.
The result was a really beautiful rod: it loads up quickly for those short flick casts, and didn't seem to compromise distance much at all. I'd say I prefer this combo for wading, although I'd still go back to the 8 wt tip for those >15 kt wind days, and for skiff fishing, where I don't do nearly as much short-range casting and loop control is paramount.
My point is that the extra tip greatly extends the range of an already great rod. Some have criticized the TiCr 8wt as a line cannon, unsuitable for precise short-range work; well, this tip section solves that problem in style.
Now if we could only get TFO to offer a 7 wt tip section as an alternate tip for the 8 wt...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM

My favorite bonefish rod in good conditions is a TICR-X 7wt using an 8wt line for the same reasons you mention and I didn't have to break it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 AM
President of CAC

Josko, That's a great discovery.....Also , with the Fly Rod manufacturers STRUGGLING every to come up with new marketing efforts, It would not surprise me to see future new grafit rods include different tip sections along with the purchase of one rod. A new 10 wt. including 3 different tip attachments for example.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Deja Vu all over again

Shades of many older bamboo rods.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM

John

Echo rods is already marketing the Echo2 series which comes with A & D tips. The A is a soft tip for accuracy and the D tip is stiffer for distance. Harry from the Nauset Angler told me about them earlier this year.

Dan
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Dan... That's new to me. I have not stopped in to see Harry for a while. May do so this weekend when I close up the house.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 PM

2 tip rods

John, I think Bears Den also carries Echo2 Rods if Nauset Anglers does not have one in stock. Just for your info, not trying to influence where you go to look. Closed the place in Mashpee last weekend.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Bear's Den definitely carries them. I cast a few of them when I was looking for a new rod last spring. Head over there and ask Scott to try one out. I tried both tips and the difference was really amazing on the same rod with the lower 3 sections being the same and just a different tip. The A (accuracy) tip is much, much softer than the D (distance) tip. I was close to buying one but found a used Superfine for a really great price that I couldn't resist.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM

I think we would be surprised how many rods are "designed" by messing around with sections fromm existing rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.