Striped Bass a Gamefish... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Jonesin...

Striped Bass a Gamefish...

http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.c...s/tops0761.txt

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

That's all well and good, but what REALLY needs to happen is more funding for more fisheries officers to ENFORCE the regulations...otherwise the "rogue" shoreline baitchunkers will continue to cart off increasing numbers of fish, many of them not of legal size
Flydoc
Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Middle Aged Member

I smell a tit-for tat (quid pro quo) coming, pogies better run and hide.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 PM
LBFF Mojo

Dunno about this one...

Recreational anglers take far more stripers than commercials do. Much more, especially when you add in the laughable 'commercial' season the rec guys have. The problem bass will face down the road will be angler induced unless some changes happen as far as limits and size are concerned. I see many more bass being hauled away by anglers within the law than by illegal means. Current regs give the anglers way too many fish right now imho. Would rather see a reduction on the rec front and leave the commercials alone for now. Commericals have sacrificed much more than recreational anglers to get the stocks back. Time for us to step up.

Also sucks to see Bush jumping in for species that are not really suffering right now, would like to see them do something about salmon and steelhead stocks which are adversely effected by commercial and recreational seasons.

-sean
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM

I totally agree with Sean . What is not being said here is that there is a very large commercial fish farm which is behind the making of the Striped Bass a game fish . They would be the ones raising the fish for commercial use and putting the small commercial guys out of business. While making a huge profit. FishHawk just my .02
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Sean, Thanks for the link.

The debate will no doubt rage on over this. Taking the livelihood or a portion of his earnings of a commercial fisherman away is not the answer in my book. The commercial fisherman has taken it hard in the past several years. I know the blame for over harvest, poor management, underfunded enforcement etc...lies in many places & there is no easy solution.

I am still confounded why we cannot keep smaller schoolie size bass and can slaughter as many large breeding fish as we can manage to catch. I am all for a slot limit such as Maine uses. For both commercial & recreational fisherman. It just makes sense to me, unless someone can prove otherwise why that is not a sound management practice.

More enforcement would be nice to catch poachers, but how much more can we be taxed to pay for it? Additional fees or saltwater licensing will just be siphoned off and wasted like any other tax we pay. Like I said there is no easy solution. I really wish there was. Unfortunately there is not a larger percentage of recreational fishermen, politicians and bureaucrats that think like a catch & release fly fisher.

Upon further review:
It appears that this executive order is for Federal Waters 3 miles out to 200 miles. I am totally confused now. The internet sucks.... too much information Does anyone really know what is going on here?

Last edited by Warren; 10-19-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Warren...re "more enforcement " on poachers...did you forget that Doc is available on alternate weekends?
I totally agree with your tax opinion...I would pay for a license only if my money was marked and could be traced to see if it went to fund what it was supossed to fund.
Ron
Old 10-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
The internet sucks.... too much information Does anyone really know what is going on here?
The Internet-based Web pages should be used for recreational purposes, only
Old 10-20-2007, 07:20 AM

I don't believe it is true.
Look at the source of the info - commercial mouthpiece.
I think it's a scare tactic to color public opinion against any possible threat to the commercials.
I would find it VERY hard to believe that the current administration is contemplating ANY meaningful conservation legislation.
On the other hand, just how big is this "very large commercial fish farm"? They aren't owned by Halliburten by any chance are they?

FWIW, I'd rather see them go a little more conservative on the rec harvest [especially the Mass com/rec debacle] and put more $$$ and effort into fixing the pollution issues in the spawning grounds. Also I'd rather see more restrictions on bunker boats etc.
Hey, maybe that "very large commercial fish farm" could start producing lobster bait and pet food. That would be win win all around!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 AM

After looking a little further it seems the plan is to ban harvest from federal waters???
Woah! That takes courage! Next thing you know, he'll put a ban on drunk driving.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

The commercials are regulated and much of the enforcement efforts are directed towards them....the rec fisherman are regulated, but not nearly as enforced. I have witnessed striper poaching on several occasions by shoreline baitchunkers (usually while fishing Plum Island)...reported once, but no action was taken before the poachers were long gone. I agree with any regs that would improve the fishery, but they would need to be ENFORCED, both rec and commercial. Otherwise, it's like having laws with few cops around...
Flydoc
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Save the bait Save the Striper. Providing a clean habitat and enough food supply might be a better place to start.

There's a mid water trolling issue over on reel time I suggest everyone who would spend time reading this tread take a look over there and send off an email/letter/fax in regards to your position on it.

It won't matter much legislation or enforcement is put in place if they have nothing to eat.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Save the bait Save the Striper.

It won't matter much legislation or enforcement is put in place if they have nothing to eat.

make sure your reps vote FOR this then :

Quote:

H. R. 3840
To prohibit commercial fishing of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in inland, State, and Federal waters along the Atlantic coast of the United States, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

October 16, 2007
Mr. SAXTON (for himself and Mr. GILCHREST) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

A BILL
To prohibit commercial fishing of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in inland, State, and Federal waters along the Atlantic coast of the United States, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Atlantic Menhaden Conservation Act' .

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds the following:

(1) Atlantic menhaden are a key piece of the Atlantic ecosystem, from Florida to Maine.

(2) Serving as a vital link in the food chain, Atlantic menhaden are a primary source of food for striped bass, bluefish, weakfish, Spanish mackerel, seals, and whales, and are favored by seabirds like loons and ospreys.

(3) Atlantic menhaden help maintain water quality by feeding on plankton and decaying plants. In aggregate in the Chesapeake Bay, these valuable living resources have the ability to filter a volume of water equal to the entire bay in less than one day.

(4) The Chesapeake Bay, the biggest estuary in North America, is a prime Atlantic menhaden nursery ground for the whole east coast, yet populations there are at historic lows. Juvenile fish are especially low, which is a key indicator of a dwindling population.

(5) The Chesapeake Bay is also a major spawning ground for striped bass, which are popular with anglers. Many striped bass in the bay are suffering from malnutrition and disease, and the declining Atlantic menhaden population may be a big factor.

(6) Industrial harvests of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes are the primary source of fishing mortality.

(7) In 2006, Addendum III to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic menhaden established a precautionary cap on harvesting of Atlantic menhaden . However, there is no scientific basis to establish whether the level of harvest allowed by such plan is sustainable.

(8) More research and studies are needed to determine the health of Atlantic menhaden populations, but the danger signs clearly point to the need for protection measures now for what is often called the most important fish in the sea.
get writing chaps, other websites are already
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 PM

just a point on the amount of striped bass taken by the recreationals v the commercials. according to the atlantic states marine fisheries assoc, commercials take 81% of the striped bass harvest. i have not seen the methodology for the stats however.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 PM

If they ban commercial fishing it doesn't effect the quotos so much. What's commercial fishing anyway about 10% (guessing)?

What it would effect is the sale of illigal stripers on the black market. That would be a good thing. No one really knows how prolific the black market really is.

That in itself would add to the striper stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.