Bringing together bonefishing form - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Bringing together bonefishing form

It usually takes me 3-4 days to get my bonefishing form together. I'm not really sure what it is, but some combination of casting, fishspotting, flyseeing and not sure what else always seems to take about that much time to come together, and my catch rate takes off.
Doesn't bug me much, since I usually have a lot of time to do this, but how do folks on a week-long bonefishing trip deal with it? Is there some way to get oneself in form more quickly, or even before flying down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 AM
In moderation

Hi Josko
It sometimes takes me a day to get back into it. My next trip is in 2 weeks and I have not been bonefishing this year since April, all my other trips have been for salmon and my trip to the Cape.

I think I may have a problem reacting quickly and coolly to fish, but there again most of my fishing will be wading so I may have more time.
The strip strike may take a bit of getting used to.

Pete
Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can honestly say that Monomoy keeps me in form year round.

Sounds crazy I know but ask the first wave of Acklins veterans about the first cast fish.

We put our luggage away, got water and gas, and headed to find a flat on the day of arrival. We pulled over at any flat and walked out on the flat. Within a few minutes I saw three fish pass, next pod I made one cast and landed/released a four pound bone.

The only thing that bridged me from my previous bonefishing trip a year earlier was a season of sight angling on the Cape Cod flats.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 AM

It usually takes me about a day. I find that if you prepare ahead of time you can cut the you can cut the time it takes to get into bonefishing form.

The hardest thing for me to get down is seeing the fish. My catch rate goes up and down depending on the number of fish I see. I am sure part of it is that somedays there are more fish there, to see, but there are other days I just do not see the fish well. It usually takes me about a day on a flat to start seeing fish well but I have also had that leave me during the week. I don't know if that is due to change in bottom or water depth or what. If I get to a destination, even if I only have a couple of hours, I wll get to the nearest fat or just shore line and work on trying to spot fish in the water. You have to make your eyes look into the water instead of looking at the surface like you do in most types of fishing.

I also practice casting on the lawn. Making quick casts, from 40 to 60', to different spots each time. To the the left, right and in and out. Sometimes you have a lot of time to set up for a fish but others you have to get that fly out quick, especially if the one, you were setting up for, didn't take or you made a bad first cast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.