Plymouth 10-13 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Plymouth 10-13

Put in around 4pm, spur of the moment. Windy but managable. Fish at the jetty, front of the beach, on the flats. The harbor was loaded with bait and the water temp is a solid 64F inside and 62F out front. I took a quick cruise out the the 140 line thinking I might luck into the tuna, pretty windy out offshore so I bagged that plan. Back inside around dusk I see it's really going off near Nelson park. It's a dropping tide but I know the guzzles pretty well from kayaking it so I head in. The wind died down some and being in the lee, I was able to cast with ease found most of the fish were not under the birds but just swirling like trout feeding just sub-surface. With the tide dropping I decided to get out of the shallows but saw a monster blitz at the cordage knowing there was a couple feet of water all the way over I pointed the bow to the North and took a slow putter in that direction. I now know the area just a little bit better as I found a new rock, my 3 blade prop is now a 2 blade
I wasn't going to let that spoil the fishing, it seemed to run without vibration albeit slower, so I continue. These fish were feeding aggressively and I could see them take the fly in close, always cool. As the sun dropped below the trees I thought to myself, this could be my last time on the water this year. I took in the sights and sounds of fish blitzing in the current and put a hook in just one more to end the trip.

I'll probably be out there again and again until I come to terms with the water being sterile but wouldn't Saturday be a nice end to the season.
Next stop - Canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
. . . I found a new rock, my 3 blade prop is now a 2 blade
Jim, wasn't your nickname "propbuster" for a while?

Nice report. Get 'em while you can!

Q
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Fortuitous Rocks?

Don't you just hate those "new rocks"? On the other hand, it may have done some undetected damage (possibly a safety issue) to your lower unit. Thus, it may be a matter of best interest for you and your family to replace it with a new 150 ETech.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Don't you just hate those "new rocks"? On the other hand, it may have done some undetected damage (possibly a safety issue) to your lower unit. Thus, it may be a matter of best interest for you and your family to replace it with a new 150 ETech.
That's a good point - safety 1st you know.

Yeah Q - that was a self applied nickname, those guys at New England propeller know me well. Mr 14-1/2" 19pitch RH thru exhaust they call me. Such is shallow water fishing.

Looking on the bright side, I had already buggered up the prop a bit on a recent trip to Wacky, chasing fish into the shallows just sand and small rocks are enough to take the cupped edge off and reduce performance. I'd normally just have the guys at NEprop give it a little tune up and it would be good as new. I guess I'm glad it wasn't a pristine brand new prop that I wailed on the rock. I've got a 14.5x19 spare that needs a little tune up so I'll probably drop that off this week and maybe get a 15x17 to see if that pops it up on plane quicker, though I'll lose on the top end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.