BONECLAVE 2000 (page 2) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2000, 09:57 AM

BONECLAVE 2000 (page 2)

...continued from other thread (which was big enough)

Question: are there any fish we may want to keep for the grill or fry if boated (or "jettied") as the case may be?

Bonito: yes- what size? There are some little guys out there. What would be our minimum for a keeper?

Scup: Anyone want to go after some?

Striper: Maybe?
Bluefish: MAybe
Spanish Macks: They are supposed to have ecellent white meat and a few have been taken in our target area. What size?
Here is a Spanish Mac for ID purposes:

Albies: Nooooooo way! Hungry cats thumb their noses at it.

Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2000, 06:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:BONECLAVE 2000 (page 2)

Nice pic terry - boy these things are rockets, I wish I could leap like them. They were jumping at Wianno a few weeks back, and that one Al and I saw at the red can off Wacky was like a preview of the upcoming Sydney games.

Fluke - any legal fluke should be kept for the saute' pan. Scup as well.

Bonito - as plentiful as they are this year (as well as finicky!) we should retain a legal quantity and size to enjoy as part of our group dinner. I am sure few people will throw back this special catch. I hope to bring one home myself.

As conscientious C&R flyfishers, we release a lot of fish all year. Clearly we do not abuse the resource. That being said I think to indulge in eating some of our catch is a good practice in these situations when we are unquestionably going to utilize the fish fully, and there's something special and celebrative about a shore dinner.

BTW - I've put up a rough first cut at the <!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingforum.com/boneclave2000/boneclave2000.htm" target="_blank">info page</a><!--url-->, comments welcome. I'll work on it later tonight too.
Old 09-06-2000, 08:20 PM

Sorry guys, I'm out.

Good luck, it looks like there will be a few slams.

Roop
Old 09-06-2000, 08:28 PM

Roop: You will be missed. Next time pal.

Terry
Old 09-06-2000, 11:17 PM

Roop -

You will be missed... but not by your wife! Happy Anniversary, friend. Next year we promise NOT to schedule on this date! Now I know why you had such a hot day on the Point Rip. The big guy smiled on you that day so you better be good!

On an unrelated note... GregO - what time are you arriving on Saturday?
Old 09-07-2000, 08:36 AM

Juro,

I will be arriving in Bourne Sat. night 8:00-10:00 PM (I have a niece B-Day Sat afternoon). I need to gas up the boat & load my gear & will be staying at my dad's in Pocassett. I should be at Whites ~6:30AM Sun. Al & I were talking last night & If I am to haul a lot of gear over to the island I would like to load the boat on the trailer as there is NO dock at the Whites ramp. I may also need a helper to unload as I can't do a lot of lifting. I had not filled in my final times, because I wanted to coordinate with Al AND I'm also seeing the surgeon today to hopefully get the "all set".
Old 09-07-2000, 08:57 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

I am only going to be there on Saturday, but I a more than willing to get anything needed for the weekend. If you guys need any help with anything at all, just let me know.
Nick
Old 09-07-2000, 09:13 AM

Juro,

Just checked out the info page, looks great!

Great Boating assignment! looking forward to it! haven't seen Quentin since he taught me the finer poinst of Live Eel fishing at Rhodey 99'. Marvin, looks like I'll finally get you out on my boat. LarryP, looking forward to meeting & fishing with you. BobP, sorry about the circumstance of your boat not being there, but glad to have you. Juro/JohnM looking forward to learning from some expert tunoid guys. Al, we wont make you man the anchor :-&gt;}

I'm still a Tunoid Virgin & I'm certainly not an expert tunoid chaser (like say a Josko or a BrianC), but I'll do my best to put us onto some pods of fish! Fuel costs are on me, but as a non-fly-tier ... hint,hint !!

Getting Pumped -- GregO!

BTW: Can someone pick an under-utilized VHF channels, so the boats can pass Info. ??!!
Old 09-07-2000, 09:25 AM

Oh, Juro, just remembered -- Do we need to let the people at Whites know that we are leaving vehicles overnight for a few days??
Old 09-07-2000, 10:02 AM
i'm so outta here

Greg,

I spoke to Mashpee PD and the Harbor Master. Whites is the <i>only</i> place where you can park over night. There are no attendants or any other officials present - this may account for the idiocy I witnessed at this launch last year! - so to answer your question, no there is no need to inform anyone of parking plans.

Al
Old 09-07-2000, 10:14 AM

So...what is the best time to meet there? 5:30? 6:00? Do we want to stay ahead of the mess?

Terry
Old 09-07-2000, 11:02 AM

Found the marine fisheries abstracts at: <a href="http://www.magnet.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/Dmfabstr.htm#finfish" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.magnet.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/Dmfabstr.htm#finfish</a><!--auto-->

Interesting: Scup has a 9" Min. Nothing on Bonito or Spanish Macs.
Old 09-07-2000, 11:04 AM

We will shuttle (by car or truck) anyone who wants to launch at Great River to get their vehicles to the designated parking area. This will be a Sunday concern but Monday / Tuesday should be a breeze.
Old 09-07-2000, 12:28 PM

A few questions...

How are you going to be sure you can stow gear on the Island Saturday morning.

Is there a list of community camping gear? Stoves , grilles, lanterns. I will gladly bring that stuff I just don't want to be redundant.
Old 09-07-2000, 12:38 PM
i'm so outta here

Check the signup form for a list of needed gear (near the bottom). Please email me if you have something on it and can bring it.

If the previous people are still in the camp site, we will stow gear in the silver tarp on the beach. If they are out, we will stow in the tarp up at the site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.