Cape This Weekend - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Middle Aged Member

Cape This Weekend

Wife says she is doing stuff at home so I may go down alone for some fishing, at least on Saturday. Anybody going to be around?
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Local Boob

I'm always around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM

this week-end

G Series 69 says he's going down this week-end. He is having trouble with posting on the site , but you can probably PM him.

I'm going to be camping at Sweetwater in Brewster next week, and would like to get in some fishing with other members. My plan is to bring a kayak or two.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Local Boob

My plan was to yak B. Harbor but thats a likely a bust - last night the billions and billions of Bunker disappeared. So I may either head out to the Race or try my luck in the canal - both seem like good migration spots both have been historically bad for me personally.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
My plan was to yak B. Harbor but thats a likely a bust - last night the billions and billions of Bunker disappeared. So I may either head out to the Race or try my luck in the canal - both seem like good migration spots both have been historically bad for me personally.

Seriously,

I was going to try to hit the harbor or brewster over the weekend on foot. Is this not a good idea now?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Middle Aged Member

I've had an itch for about a month but with the stiff west wind saturday I won't get to scratch it.

Brewster Flatz area may work just to get one more outing in my home waters.

I'd love to jump in the old time capsule, if I had one, and take a walk down south beach several years ago. Did the seals head south yet?

Wonder if basser would lend me one of his canal pluggin rods.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Local Boob

Its always a good idea to go fishing.

The key question is where is the best place to go? I've never known the answer to that one. I doubt there is a 100' stretch of the Cape shoreline where a 40" fish never goes.

I was fishing B Harbor on Sunday and when I got home I had bunker in the pockets of my bathing suit.

Last night same place same tide - I didn't see a single baitfish of any sort...doesn't mean they aren't there now or not just around the bend.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
There's an old adage that Jeff Smith told me recently, "You should have been here yesterday...or tomorrow."

Fred's area of the cape has been truly hit or miss the last month or so. Lots of bait, no fish, or it can be very good. The best time was during the full moon tides. New moon coming...
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Local Boob

It certainly wasn't a mistake fishing this weekend.

Saturday morning was pretty close to the best fishing has ever been. Wind was a little crappy, but the fish were little more than 15-30' away.

Very big stripers - more keepers than non-keepers but ironically the bigger the fish the worse it fought. I almost think a lot of these fish are out-of-shape lard-asses. Blue fish were in the mix as well as several hundred birds.

Once the sun was full up the fleet was out and buzzing about the fishing and bird activity slowed to a near stop.

Only thing that kind of perplexed me was what the bait was, since I didn't see a single baitfish.

Sunday got up eager for the repeat and it never happened, same place same tide, fish never showed, got a few out of deep water but that was that - I don't think I'll ever get used to that.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Middle Aged Member

Didn't make it down to late saturday morning, too much scotch with basser friday night. Played around in the river a little Sat afternoon. Lot's of bait being chased outta the water by 6" snappers. They seem to be around a lot later than usual. A real pain in the butt.

Sunday morning the end of the creek was dead. Guy fishing sand eels was doing ok with nice fish along the beach but it was tough casting a fly into the NW wind.

I really blew it saturday, the wind was not near what they forcast. But the scotch was good.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
resigned

Did the seals head south yet?

Wonder if basser would lend me one of his canal pluggin rods.[/QUOTE]

Fred. They are marauding Great Point in Nantucket. If the SW opens back up maybe they will stay put and leave us alone? Don't worry Keith. We'll keep you plenty busy!

Phil
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 AM
President of CAC

I wonder what the action at the Rip would be now... like this morning for example...wish I was on that beach right now.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Thur -Sat

I'll be down from Wed evening through Sun am. Will be staying at a campground in Brewster, and plan to bring a kayak. I'll let the weather and tides determine where I fish. Would enjoy getting together with FFF members still on the prowl, and continuing to learn the possibilities. I don't know if I'll be able to check PMs after 0930 Wednesday.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
Didn't make it down to late saturday morning, too much scotch with basser friday night.
Gee Fred, I was out plugging at 5:30 am at pole 150..then I biked down to pole 85 at high speed and plugged somemore...packed up moved with the crew to the other side of the Ditch and loaded up the bike again...pedaled over loose sand, caught some stripers then landed a Skate on a jig. The scotch did not affect me at all
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Middle Aged Member

Just using it (the scotch) as an excuse for my lack of getup and go Saturday am.

When I saw that thread title "Basser Skates to Success" I had a vision of you sliding down the rocks and into the drink while staying hooked up to a striper. Was mildy disapointed when I read the thread. Of course, I was glad you didn't hurt yourself.

I've got a circa 1960's Columbia girls bike in the shed down the cape. Do you think I can rehab it into a respectable canal pole to pole transit vehicle? I keep looking at those arra 1083's and 1084's every time I'm in goosehummocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.