Forum Winter Dinner. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 AM

Forum Winter Dinner.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Jon and I talked about having a Forum Winter Dinner say in Mid Feb. We would have it in a central location. Sort of a way to talk about the upcoming season and to chase away the Winter Blues. Anyone interested? FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great idea!!!!

Slide presentations and maybe a raffle (in the fly club sense) to try to cover the operating costs would be greatly appreciated. Due to time limitations I have been paying for the site out of pocket.

Coordinating with a fly show would allow those traveling to take in an event as well.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
President of CAC

That sounds like a good idea. We used to try and gather during the fly shows. If that does not work we can certainly try for other dates and a central location... a place along Rt 128 or 495...something like that. Obviously we need someone or a couple guys to coordinate this.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

I would go to either a dinner or dinner /show.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Coordinating with a fly show would allow those traveling to take in an event as well.
either that or one of the FlyFishingFilms Tour nights - i was gutted I missed that last year, I believe it was February last year...

I just checked and the film night will be at the somerville theatre but no confirmed date yet - the tour starts Jan 31st in CA.

Mark.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe have it in conjunction with the Marlborough or Worcester show

Marlborough is Jan 18-20, 2008

Worcester is Feb 8-11

Maybe rent a hotel dining room or something in that order.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 PM

i like guernsey's idea. a fly fishing show and dinner sounds both different and fun.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Talking sign me up!!!

IMHO mid-late Jan. would be best... that way it's between x-mas and the show in Marlboro

Tom D
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 AM

Forum Dinner/Banquet l

I'm thinking that we should treat the Dinner sort of like a Banquet. Everyone who attends the dinner pays $25 and puts their name in a hat .
For prizes, a day tuna fishing with Sean or personal casting lesson with Juro.
Sean and Juro don't meant to volunteer you guys but these are just thoughts.
I like the $25 dollar fee because what happens at most dinners is the deep pockets usually get the best prizes and guys like me can't afford to be in the running.
The $25 would go to help pay for running the Forum. If this takes off perhaps some of our sponsors would donate a prize. Say a Dannielson reel that would be open to bidding. Just my thoughts. FishHawk
What do you guys think?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 AM
President of CAC

Bill, that sounds good. So the first thing to do I would think is , despite responses here, set up a thread with a sign up to get real interest with those who would want to go....that can come later... but we need to have a few guys coordinate this, get the place, figure the costs. etc...or you end up with an informal get together...which we have done before several times after some of the shows where individual tabs are given. So someone would need to collect volunteers to set this up. I would volunteer but can not be the point guy. Three guys would be a good number with a point guy.... We can then communicate by PM and Phones with post when necessary. The three would pick the place etc... you can not have , say 50 guys arguing over the place,etc... but we could get several dates or a time during one of the shows... The shows are good because people make the time or plan the day and could usually extend the day to a dinner. Just My .02 cents worth. PS - I don't think this is something to drop into Juro's lap ( I know that has not been suggested BTW)...unless he wants too. He should just attend and relax.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 AM

dinner

John, I await your sign-up thread; think it's a great idea. But, want to express that I (and probably many who have to drive several hours and probably over night) would very strongly prefer to have the dinner in conjunction with a show.

Todd
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
President of CAC

Todd, hold it for a moment...I did not volunteer to set up the sign up ...I will help but am not the point person. Also, I agree that it probably should be during a show because of those points you raise.

Last edited by striblue; 10-11-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Jonesin...

Sounds to me like Fishawk is on point for this one.

The fundraising ideas are good and I will certainly be willing to contribute something to the cause. Tuna trip probably won't be it though. Just too few days and too unpredictable.

Combining the dinner with the show is the right move IMO, but I wonder if the fundraising piece of this shouldn't be done via the site and over an extended period. One of the other boards does a winter drive in a dedicated forum with member contributions and I think it works very well.

Sean
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
President of CAC

Sean...I think FishHawk would make a great Point person. Having the fund raiser separate is good too. I have contributed to the board you are refering to and they do it that way. An extended time period allows for greater participation which will equal great funding. Anyway, without a point person and maybe two helpers we will end up withan informal gathering...which is OK too, but a scheduled "banquet" might be more fun...slide shows, things like that would be a bonus to that approach. (FishHawk...Don't foxhole -wink face)
Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by striblue
Anyway, without a point person and maybe two helpers we will end up withan informal gathering...which is OK too, but a scheduled "banquet" might be more fun...slide shows, things like that would be a bonus to that approach. (FishHawk...Don't foxhole -wink face)
I agree John. Where's our newlywed. I think the slide show is already in the works.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.