Yak fun. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 AM

Yak fun.

Headed out to Plymouth on Fri. despite the dire foggy forecast. Sun lifted partially as I got on the water. Greeted by an armada of power boats. I was the only yak in the mix. However, I was one of the few guys hooking up.
Small blue and white peanut bunker was the ticket. Got a keeper size bass right off that pulled me all over the place. As the sun got higher the bass got a little deeper. What a great day on the water glad I was finally able to pull it off. Thanks again to Jim W for his tips on fishing this area. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Local Boob

Sounds like a good time Bill.

I went out in the Tub, caught some little guys, then paddled to Stage to find way too much company. Finally smartened up and fished Monomoy all by myself. Plenty of fish cruising some in formation like geese or the Blue Angels.

Got back to the launch on the causeway and it was packed with cars, most with yak racks but didn't see a single one on the water - creepy.

Anyway see you tomorrow I have a plan, its in the vise right now but its a good plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007, 04:24 PM

The Forum Navy has to get a least one more trip in before the season ends. We'll talk tomorrow. FishHawk
Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Glad you got into them. I may have some more post NE blow intel if I get out tomorrow morning. These fish are tough to hook on the spin gear. I had the kids out the other night and I'd cast the fly rod out and let them strip it in, they we diggin' it.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM

I was playing with the kids at stephens field playground and there were tons of birds working about 150 yars offshore at about 6pm tonight.

I might try shore tomorrow morning. Let me know how do if you get out.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 PM

What kind of yak do you use Fishhawk? I'm looking to get one and cant decide
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Way to go Bill!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 AM

I use a Necky Santa Cruz SINK yak sort of like a Pungo. However, most people who fish out of a yak have Sit On Tops.A stable platform for fishing. Lots of good models out there. Check out Kayak Fishing Stuff.Com for yak reviews . A very helpful site when choosing a fishing yak. FishHawk.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
However, most people who fish out of a yak have Sit On Tops. A stable platform for fishing.
There is a sacrifice for that "stable platform" though. The way most sit-on-top kayak designers do this is by making the kayak wider and with a flat hull. That increase in width slows down the hull speed. Sit-inside kayaks are actually more stable in general as you sit lower in these boats... and, you don't have to widen the boat to achieve the same degree of stability if you're sitting inside the boat.

Almost all sit-on-top kayaks, and especially those designed for fishing, have a flat hull design. True, this is the most stable design, but again, as you tend to sit higher off of the water it is debatable as to whether this is really an advantage.

A properly designed sit-inside hull can be just as stable and much more efficient, so your ROI (return on your energy investment) is much higher. If you want to go farther out to sea or further on any body of water, a well-designed hull will be the difference between enjoying the experience and having to liberally apply Ben Gay afterwards.

I currently have 33 kayaks and only one of them is a sit-on-top. I've owned a whole lot of different kayaks in my 30 year paddling career and I'm not convinced that sit-on-tops have any benefits other than they are easier for rescue... (stepping up on soapbox now ) but then again, I can roll any boat out there . People who want to learn how to kayak properly seldom choose a sit-on-top over a traditional decked kayak.

For the ultimate in kayak fishing, a two-person sit-inside boat with you in the bow seat and someone in the stern seat who likes paddling more than fishing is da bomb!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM

I've been looking at them and I would agree with you. Any suggestions for a reasonable priced kayak for fishing given your 33 model experience
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTrout
I've been looking at them and I would agree with you. Any suggestions for a reasonable priced kayak for fishing given your 33 model experience
What sort of water you are planning on fishing? Open ocean? Protected bays? Freshwater reservoirs? Rivers? Perhaps a bit of a mix?

Do you need to or want to be able to cover a lot of ground or not?

What's your fitness level and physical size?

I'm assuming that you want a single-person kayak.

Let me know a little bit more about you and I'll try to help all I can.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Fishing from the boat as you'll do in Plymouth - Pungo. Ocean yakking would be a whole other boat. As with most things you need to sacrifice in one area to benefit in others. The wide boat is a good way to go for fly fishing inside a boat. The open cockpit of the pungo has it's advantages and disadvantages. Personally I don't like a flat bottom boat, the primary stability is misleading and if you do start to go, you're going.

Best thing you can do is go to Billington Sea kayak right near little pond in Plymouth. billingtonseakayak dot com - They'll let you spend all day trying out boats. These folks are hardcore - drysuits and sea ice in maine kind of hardcore. But there are plenty of boats there to try and they may even have learned a thing or two about fishing by now. Give them a call first, I think they only demo boats on the weekends.

It's sort of like a fly rod, you should go try different boats and get some basic instruction. Don't skimp on the paddle, it's as important as the boat.

Now back to the fishing...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Very sound advice JimW! If it's fairly user-friendly water, the Pungo is a very nice boat.

Big Ditto on the paddle too... just important.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:42 PM

I have a Pungo, & I love it. I fish out of it in the lakes all the time.
I am worried about getting in & out of it while fishing the salt water flats and bays. My big ass needs to be on solid ground to get in & out of it. I figured a SOT would be good for easy mounts & dismounts to fish on my feet in such places as Brewster flats etc.. especially when the tide comes in & you are in three feet of water.
My other concern is taking wave and having it fill up. The Pungo has a big opening, where a sea kayak has a small opening and a spray skirt system. I would assume the Pungo would have some kind of cover options too. I never gave it a thought. I just figured a SOT would be better for most circumstances I would likely encounter.

Are these not valid concerns? or do I need to learn more about kayaking?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Local Boob

I too use SOT's primarily for the concerns Warren expressed.

I don't often fish from my yak I primarly use it as a means of getting from bar to bar, or to access areas like the flats. I can easily get in and out of it in wader deep. I also like that I can store my gear below decks should it get dicey or if I want to try surf launches - getting tipped over is fun, breaking rods not so much.

Of course most of this probably stems from the fact that I am a fisherman who uses a yak, rather than a true kayaker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.