Kodiak_2007 - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Kodiak_2007

Got back from Kodiak last week about two weeks early due to the sudden and totally unexpected death of a dear friend. Haven't really felt much like posting until now.

Last year on Kodiak, we had really tough fishing with only one venue really producing, that being the Olds/Kalsin estuary. Lake Rose Tead was totally dead, the Buskin fish had run early, and the American River run was really small.

This year was a definite improvement in the numbers of fish, although the catching wasn't so great (as the old, hoary joke goes). There were large numbers of Silvers in the Pasagshak below Rose Tead and the lake itself was fairly populated, but both places held lock-jawed fish. Weather conditions (they varied all over spectrum during the few days I was there), didn't seem to help.

The Olds/Kalsin system was full of fish, and I spent the majority of my time fishing there. On the ebbing tide, schools of fish -- mostly about a dozen to the school -- would come uptide constantly. Kalsin Pond had lots of fish, many of them quite dusky, and was receiving bright new recruits daily. But, same old story -- non-biters. We scratched out a few fish every day, but with the hundreds of easy targets we had, results were beyond disappointing.

The Hooknose Society (the gang of cutthroats I fish with up there) most likely will not be going back any time soon. Too far; too expensive; too few hookups. But, things might be getting better over the next few years. The destruction of the spawning area above Rose Tead has been repaired, and there's an excellent chance the fishery there will rebound, but it will take a few years, most likely.

If you're thinking of going to Kodiak, beware Budget/Rent-Heap. We had reserved a Ford Expedition sometime in July for our September trip, confirmed the reservation prior to our departure, and discovered the car gone when we got to the airport. We were lucky to scrounge up a car eventually, but many others were not so lucky. Supposedly the cause of the mix-up was the rocket launch scheduled for later in the month. The techies involved with the launch had rented everything on wheels and had filled all area hotels. Nevertheless, as the old Seinfeld show pointed out, Budget is good at taking reservations; just not good at keeping them.

The Avis lady got us a car. No one I spoke to had any problems with Avis.

I'd also like to thank Alaska Airlines publicly for its kindness in getting me home quickly.

Cheers,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.