French Creek's Big Adventure III - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM

French Creek's Big Adventure III

An eclectic array of fishing conditions, thatís the story in RI this week.
Weather conditions continue to be warm with very little winds.

No problem finding schools of bluefish in the upper bay. No matter what side of the East and West Passages you look, they are everywhere. No specific areas required. Blues up to ten pounds are pushing peanut bunker all along the surface. Best bests on the western side are Quonset Point, Round Rock, and Greenwich Bay. Over on the East Passage, look for surface frenzies around Hog Island, Providence Point, and Ohio Ledge. Plenty of action north of Conimicut Light too.

Further south along the ocean, striper fishing can be spotty. The fall migration of stripers is showing some signs of beginning. Occasional pods of silversides and anchovies are being harassed by small schools of five pound bass. Most of the activity is at dawn and shuts down rather quickly. A few larger stripers can be caught in the surf using needle and popper plugs just before dawn.

Good news is the return of albies along the walls. Anchovies have returned but in smaller numbers than we had two weeks ago. Fish are still selective feeding on ĺ inch size baitfish. It is frustrating and demoralizing at times, especially when they are all around the boat to catch one.

Pete Laviolette and his son Chris returned to Rhode Island this week. Residents of Calgary Canada, they both look forward to some fall saltwater angling. Weather was great and they were greeted to some magnificent sunrises and calm seas. Tides were low this week and not much current. Most shores were depleted of baitfish so there wasnít a consistent bite. They managed to boat a few bass throughout the morning.

The mouth of Charlestown Breachway produced bluefish to 12 Lbs. on the dropping tide. There is nothing like trying to leverage a 12 lbs. bluefish in breachway current with a fly rod. The fights are amazing. They had plenty of bluefish the following day in upper Narragansett Bay.

The real treat for both and the main reason coming to RI is for albies in the fall. Any angler knows who is worth their salt knows how humbling, frustrated, and humiliating this addiction is. How amazing it was to have a double hookup together. What are the odds? Chris beat the odds latter along with all the albie rules we follow. Most of us rely on stealth presentations and the exactness of our fly patterns. I for one, use camo lines, fluorocarbon leaders, and small translucent flies for albies. Imagine to my chagrin when Chris using a multi-colored orange sink tip line, thick mono leader, and a fly that looks like nothing on the water, hooks up. What a rush and surprise. Chris went back home happy as can be, Aye!

Chris and his trophy albie. A job well done.

Pete with an early morning striper.

A monster bluefish falls for Peteís offering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
President of CAC

Ray, thanks for that great report and I am glad for Pete and his son. Unfortunatly I was unable to fish with them on the Cape...our timing crossed...I hope to see him next year and I supose that YOU took the Cuban cigars he had for me!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Me no smoke!.... Never mentioned any Cuban cigars?

He's still in RI till Saturday afternoon. Going out to supper Friday with Gretta and Pete. Will ask.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 PM

What Cigars? AKA Next time maybe!

John, If you are referring to those fine Cubanos that I brought along, they are still with me, well some of them anyway. I had no place to leave them for you so I guess they will be migrating back West when I leave on Saturday. Next time maybe! As for the Holy Peat Water, it disapeared somewhere on the Cape at a yet to be identified location. Next time maybe!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Pullin' Thread

Pete-

Glad to see you got to go chase something other than Bow River trout! You come out here to the PNW and find nice wild winter steelhead, get to fish for trout on the Bow, fish for pike around Calgary, then get out to New England in the fall for stripers, blues, and albies. There ought to be a law preventing this I tell you!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM

It's all in the fly!

We had a great trip with the World Famous Capt. Ray, as usual he got us both on the fish. The magic was using mostly flies that I got from The Man - Slinger, a few years back and a few secret weapons from the WF Capt. Ray Eh!
Further report about our segment on the Cape with SeanJuan and DblHaul when I get back to Calgary. The only regret is that we did not get a chnace to visit with other East Coast Buddies this time around.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Middle Aged Member

Sorry we didn't hook up Pete. I had a "special release" 17 year old Balvenie to share with you that was left behind by a house guest. Nice peat water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.