Boiling Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2000, 06:54 PM

Boiling Bones

Went out of woods hole first light this am under a thick blanket of fog. Hung close to the shore around the corner to Nonamesset island. Found some stripers breaking around a rockpile, anchored a hundred feet from shore looked to be a good spot for safety's sake untill the fog lifted. After picking up a few bass we heard an odd sound further out from the shore. It wasn't really a splashing sound but a slow steady churning somewhat like a big egg beater. So we hauled up anchor and headed out into the fog. About a quater mile off the island we found the source. What a site it was half a dozen schools of Bonito each about the size of a basketball court all pushing there way up current. The cener of each school was packed so dense there was nothing but fish, foam and showers of minnows. They stayed up on top for quite along time. When they went down we killed the motor and listend for the churning sound again. We followed them down to lackeys bay were they broke up into smaller schools as the fog lifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2000, 07:00 PM

RE:Boiling Bones

Tim,

Did you guys hook-up ??

John
Old 09-01-2000, 08:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Aye carumba! Love to hear about such intensity from our tunoid friends. Good description too, I could feel my hands shaking trying to tie on a fly.

I'm almost ready to consider a repeat of the yakbone expedition instead of the rip trip on Monday... almost. Lunker bass or bone blitz? Lunker bass or bone blitz? Although we only found bass, blues and food fish on the first try, we did the right thing to get in front of tunoids. It was just a slow day and a bit early too. I would bet money that a repeat of our venue would put us in the path of exotics raiding the ebb tide. Hmmm. Well, it's gonna be lunker bass o-n-e m-o-r-e t-i-m-e... but bones and albies from that point onward until the late season.

Guess if I had a boat the choice would have been different, in all honesty!

Good luck and keep us tuna'ed in!
Old 09-02-2000, 09:22 AM

Wow. Just hang on another week.
Our timing for the Boneclave is good (albeit on the short notice side). Cooler weather is gonna start coming in from Canada this week starting the end of the Bonitos in the sound. The Albies will probably still be around but it would be nice to get a bonito AT the Boneclave. So we have a real shot this year. I hope we get a nice Bermuda high for it. Fingers crossed.

Terry
Old 09-02-2000, 04:56 PM

Got a couple and lost a few on the mad dash under the boat, just can,t reel that fast. They were not the least bit fussy for a change. For some reason under the same conditions as yesterday they were much more boat shy this morning. But what the hell if you could figure them out they probally would'nt be as much fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.