BFT info. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 AM

BFT info.

Well, next year in 08 I'm going to try for one of these guys. So I have a few questions about fishing for these fish.
I want to do it with a flyrod so what about flyrods for these guys? I noticed that there are special rods that are only about 8 feet long .
Next question an probably very important is rigging. What type of knots do you use ?
Reels, I'll use my Tibor Riptide but if I really get into this I see a Gulfstream on the horizion.,
Lastly what fly has worked best for you?
Thanks FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 AM

Bill......I know absolutely nothing about BFTs and thus can't help you.... but I can't get the "visual" out of my mind, after reading your post, of your yak heading towards France at 40 mph. Please tell me that you will use a charter!!!
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 AM
fish'n Hobo

Fish hawk
try to get a hold of the video by First Light Anglers. Tells All.
14-15 wt stick, your riptide may be a little on the small side for fish over 50 lbs.
If I dare make a recommendation..... look at TFO bluewater & Hayden for a bombproof combo!
Watch out, it's addictive!

ps. flys as per the bait. Sandeels, Herring, mackeral, bunker, halfbeaks etc. Tie on strong hook! I like Mustad C68s ss or Eq.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 AM
President of CAC

Bill, after you get information from the guys on the board, I suggest to call Derrick Spangler or Nat Moody at First Light Anglers who are expert and have a lot of experience with this fishing. I still use their advice on Rigging ,etc. They also make a great composit fiberglass graphit rod. Also people like Josko and Terry Nugent are expert and have done this for years. Jeff Smith out of Orleans is a good guy to speak with also. This last summer I was invited countless times by a neighbor in Chatham who went out almost every day. Atleast he would drop off some Sushi for me at the end of the day. My sons went out with him and would also bring back some catch. He also uses the flyrod when it's possible to hookup. He does not use the internet boards. The last time I went out was two years ago. I did not take up the invites because of timing and home responsiblities at the time. BUT..This next summer I will go out as much as I can with him....he knows what he is doing and I expect to also ask him if you can come along when you are in Chatham. He goes out mostly during the week and has the rig, twin screws, etc. to go the required distances if they are out further. As long as it does not interfere with my loved striper beach fishing. Edit..just saw Jim Miller's post and the video he is refering to is the one you saw at CAC Last summer I think.... I have a nice TFO 14 weight also but use a Abel Supper 12 which has room for the required backing. I expect to talk Jim Miller into staying at CAC next summer and go out with him..Jim, Gas and lunch on me.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 AM
fish'n Hobo

John
Let's plan on it!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Yes I saw that video and wanted to get input from the rest of the members who target these beasts. John we'll team up for a charter in 08 for sure.
There is a new reel on the block by Jack Charlton called the Mako which will be interesting to see how it does in the crowded reel market. Jack has a good track record and his older reels are worth a lot of money . I'll wait until they're awhile before I pull the trigger . I'm a little apprehensive in trying this fishery because I know what can happen.
I used to trout fish all the time and now I'm addictive to the salt. I even bought an expensive Tibor reel with my retirement money.
FishHawk
Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Jonesin...

Bill,

Here is my quick take on the subject. Just settling down after my third unsuccessful trip for these suckers in two weekends. Be prepared for that.

Gear - Personally if I was in your position I wouldn't buy any new gear except maybe a 14 or 15wt rod and this would be solely for practice casting (more on this below). If you charter a tuna trip in the Northeast the guide will have the gear and I am guessing any friends you go with would let you use their gear as well. Save the $800 it would cost you for the gulfstream for gas money and charter fees as they will rack up quickly if you want to get a fish on fly. I tried the Riptide/Super 11 route and that equated to bringing a knife to a gunfight and I lost every time. If the RI fish show in good numbers next year you are all set. A Riptide and a 10wt rod is all you need for the 10-30lbers.

Practice - This will be the biggest key to your success if you want to target the CCB fish. Ask any guide what is their biggest challenge and they will tell you most guys can't make the cast. A 14-15wt fly rod in general is not a casting tool and requires a bit of strength and a lot of technique to make it work when it counts. Personally I would find something cheap on ebay and practice as much as you can in varying wind conditions. This means being able to cast of the back cast as well as the forward with minimal false casts. Think fast ball down the middle. Think of ways to simulate a rocking boat. Stand on one foot or something. Yes it is possible that you may get the perfect day where there are fish all over the place and the wind flat but that is highly unlikely and the fish tend to feed best when it is a little snotty. Read Tom Gilmores book. I believe he has a section on casting including a description of the boat technique involved and the timing of the cast in relation to the drift of the boat. The captain and sport need to communicate to make this work.

Guides - In addition to the ones mentioned I would also reccommend Joe Leclair, Andrew Cummings, Jaime Boyle, Fishstix Charters and Steve Moore. Most will book up during the prime times but I personally would chance it and wait for some good reports to come in. Nobody expected early July to be the best fishing this year. But when the reports come in get on it fast.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Sean
Old 09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Bill, don't waste your energy, time and money. As prior guys have said, it is addictive! Ask your cohort, Craig (CSG60) about it becoming obsessive and compulsive. I think he is even thinking about a boat for tuna. I told him I would supply the tackle, flies and gas.

A good guy to contact is Sean McDermott. He has done it for the last couple of years and hooked and landed a bunch on the fly. He has also broke some equipment trying to land 100 pounders. Knowing Sean, he has probably got the right mojo to get the job done.

If you are serious about BFT on the flyrod, you've got to be in shape to spend at least an hour of a hard workout lifting six inches at a time when they sound after the initial 200-300 yard runs. It ain't easy.

Gulfstream with 400 yards of 65lb bionic braid is the right choice. Straight 40lb fluoro tippet is standrd. The typical fish today is 50 - 100 pounds. Lifting them when they sound requires a minimum of a 14wt weight. If those same fish make it into 08, you ain't got a chance on the flyrod.

Craig and I did see some smaller ones a couple of weeks ago, but then we also saw some that we setimated at 200 pounds.

Good luck Bill. See ya next weekend.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 AM

Thanks Jim. I wouldn't but the Gulfstream unless I got the fever. We'll let Craig get his boat and I'll help you out with the gas. But I'm going to try at least one charter next year and use the guide's money. I'll probably use First Light if they have any room and will take your advise and not book early. FishHawk
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS

If you are serious about BFT on the flyrod, you've got to be in shape to spend at least an hour of a hard workout lifting six inches at a time when they sound after the initial 200-300 yard runs. It ain't easy.
This is a great point that I forgot to add. The physicality of this game should not be overlooked. Below is Sean Ransoms recap that sums it up pretty well.

A tuna fight can be summed up into:

0-5 minutes:
This is awesome. I actually hooked one
5-10:
This fish is huge, my bicep is starting to ache
10-20:
Whose idea was this anyway
20-30:
I am never doing this again
30-40:
No really, whose idea was this.
You land it:
Totally stoked and the pain goes away quickly.
20 minutes after you land it:
I want another

Sean
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That is a classic!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Jonesin...

Bill, a thread on another board reminded me of another name I am surprised I didn't mention in the first place. That is Capt. Al Anderson. He catches a ton of fish but it will be a different experience in that its big boat fishing with chumming fish up to the boat. Just another thought in that it probably offers better odds but a different approach.

Sean
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Quote:
0-5 minutes:
This is awesome. I actually hooked one
5-10:
This fish is huge, my bicep is starting to ache
10-20:
Whose idea was this anyway
20-30:
I am never doing this again
30-40:
No really, whose idea was this.
You land it:
Totally stoked and the pain goes away quickly.
20 minutes after you land it:
I want another
That is very true, the last part I would edit to say "I don't want another one of those today".. Bill this is a VERY physical game and you will not have anything to compare it to that you have done before. The equipment isn't the most important thing although it is a factor that if not properly planned will ruin your trip. I think on the flyrod the most important thing is to be able to shoot a very heavy line on a very stiff rod at least 100 ft. in usually sloppy seas. As Sean pointed out you need to practice this kind of casting with the gear you will be using before you actually get on any fish. Once on the fish be COOL, CALM, and COLLECTED don't get over hyped as this will undoubtedly cause you to blow what might be your only shot of the day. As you are approaching the fish go through your whole setup, make sure everything is in it's place and everything has a place. If you hook one of these fish they will dump a ton of line in the blink of an eye. Line cuts/burns are very real possibilities. Bruised, broken knuckles fingers are also something to be aware of. The point being you will be in the big leagues and need to be properly prepared before you enter the ring for the fight. If and when you do hookup and land one of these you will be ruined for the rest of your life!!!!....
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
President of CAC

Bill, Sean gives good advice on being in shape and practising casting the rods and his matter of fact advice...but don't be scared off by overly dramatic descriptions . The little description By Sean R. is a great way to describe this because it is light and humorous. Like I said before seek out people like the guys at first light anglers and those Sean mentioned. Reread Jim Sims post too. Derrick and Nat take out a lot of first timers. It's good to take advice from those who fish alot and experience many different situations. In fact I am the last to give advice, except as to Rigging probably. This is because I have caught only 4 tuna in my life...Two on the Daisey chains and was "lucky" to catch two on the fly, casting to fish breaking close to the boat, after numerous break offs...Been out other times but got skunked. That is not enough time to give anyone advice. It's really no big deal. I am going out next week with Terry N. Hopefully we will find them fly rod or not. Don't forget Bill, it's not like your in the first wave at Normandy.

Last edited by striblue; 10-05-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.