The scum-fly revisited - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 01:36 AM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
The scum-fly revisited

As my original scum-fly pattern proved a pain to cast and impossible to hook fish with I recently decided to creat a new better designed pattern for fishing the slop.

Attached are some pictures from my scum-fly testing grounds. Over 90% of my fish there have been within a foot of shore busting through the thickest looking vegetation.
The pattern itself, in my opinion, is the real deal. Its unbelievably weedless, casts fairly well, pushes enough water to draw attention and actually HOOKS FISH. The only drawback is that short stout leaders are a must for fishing this pattern through the thickest stuff. I usually use a 7 ft 12 pound leader to make casting easier. Fish really aren't that lineshy when busting through weeds like this.

fool proof scum-fly
hook- sickle bend worm hook (the weight distribution on these things is great for a keel fly) keel weighted with a little fine wire
head- closed cell foam with foam keel balance with a hook slot (popper style can be rounded to pick up even less weed accumulation)
collar- grizzly hackle
tail- white and yellow marabou
weed guard (just in case)- looped mono zap-a-gapped to the foam balance
eyes for artistic touch

The pictures hopefully explain the construction a little bit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6546   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6547   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6548   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6549  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Amother idea I've seen in the midwest is tying a dahlberg diver on an inverted hook.

Hook point up. Then taking some rubber cement or goop working it into the deer hair collar to act as a weedguard around the hook point. Those things work real well in the slop on MN lakes.

If you want I can get some more info on the fly. Chris Hanson a FF guide for warmwater specises in MN came up with them. He has a tying video as well that shows his patterns. But its a pretty simple design a deer hair diver on an upsidedown hook with a toughened up collar.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Another idea you could try is to tie the fly using a piece of thick wire through the body instead of a hook. Then once the fly is tied, twist the wire through the eye of a hook so the point rides up. Tie a hackle feather around the shaft of the hook before this to aid in it staying up in the water to prevent snags and the hackle will help it rides over things. A big stiff hackle is best. Great fly in really weedy conditions, can be used through milfoil and pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.