This week, Sept 27th, RI - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 PM

This week, Sept 27th, RI

The sport fishing has been slow along the shores of Charlestown Breachway to Narragansett this week. You have to put the time in and work hard for every fish. The beginning of the week produced calm seas conditions. As the week progressed higher surf and stronger winds hindered the boaters and surf fishermen. But the fact remains that the baitfish havenít appeared on the ocean front in numbers. There are plenty of silverside and sand eels in the salt ponds and estuaries right now. Water temperatures are still in the high 60ís. Conditions are in a lull right now, but thatís normal for the change in seasons. As soon as water temperatures drop action will improve. Nature hasnít convinced the predators just yet, to fatten themselves for the fall migration home.

False albacore have completely vanished from the West Wall. The last two weeks the fishing has been fair, but selective. Hookups have been limited. As the week progressed, each day produced few sightings and fewer hookups. Look for the albie fishing to improve as we get into October with a smorgasbord of mullet, silversides, sand eels, and peanut bunker.

Striped bass fishing is improving along the shores of Matunuck. False dawn is still the best time. Action is limited to morning hours. Good current flow and stronger winds this week improved the top water action even though we had near record high daytime temps.

Joe Ganino and friend Kevin has placid flat conditions Monday along South County. The weather was beautiful, temps high and fishing was slow. We fly fished around the popular spots of Pt. Jude, Center and West Walls, and the Harbor of Refuge, without a strike. We made a decision to find cooler waters, so we set our bearing to Block Island. The water dynamics of North Rip produced a single bass on a Clouser fly. We moved to the western side of the island working our way south. The water was clear with plenty of rock structure and our drifts were slow. We nailed a few more bass hiding in the rocks. This made for an enjoyable afternoon.

The theme of the trip was to catch a few albies. Both Joe and Kevin have never felt the feeling. We did locate some albies off the western shore of BI. Kevin working a fast strip felt the amazing tug. He hooked up briefly and the fight lasted all but ten seconds. Kevin received the bad luck award when the fly line caught on his wristwatch trying to get the fish on the spool.

Joe Ganino with a North Rip Striper.

Wednesdayís trip was a complete turn a round in conditions. The wind was blowing hard all day from the Southwest with surf building to five feet. Moon tide produced plenty of current flow, fast drifts and choppy condition. The waters were covered with dead grass. On board today was Marvin and Scott (aka, saltybugger). It was a great day to product tests some of Scotts line of fine plugs. No albies in sight, we focused mainly on stripers and bluefish today. It was an amazing visual watching stripers chase poppers in five foot waves with all the turbulence around. We got beat up today with all the pounding but we seen some great sights and late season fun. All agree that the bass bite dyed too early. Once again the forage was missing. The migration along RI just hasnít materialized just yet.

Marvin holding a boat caught striper in the surf line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Ray....now THAT'S a report....I will never post my feable attempt at a report again Highly informative and educational and most importantly ..... tells it like it really is. It's very clear why you are so successful...you notice everything and are able to put all the pieces together.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

THANK YOU....

...for telling it like it is! I just read a report on another site from a guide that talked of albies up to 20lbs taking 200yds of backing. Its nice to read the play by play. I felt like I was in the boat with you Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks Ron and FlyFishMich for your heart felt comments!

Your time and everyone else's is important in today's world. What free time we do have should be used wisely. Not sent on some wild goose chase on some feeble attemp of embellished reports of ones imagination.

Now for today's fish report:

We hooked a ninety lb bluefin tuna on 12 lbs. test leader this morning. We had it to the boat in ten minutes while fishing the Seekonk River. We did take pictures of the feat, but we left the camera at home.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Ray- You trying to start a stampede to the Seekonk R? or are you tryin gto protect another area. Ron Lomas
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
We hooked a ninety lb bluefin tuna on 12 lbs. test leader this morning. We had it to the boat in ten minutes while fishing the Seekonk River. We did take pictures of the feat, but we left the camera at home.
Ray, you left off the part about covering over 1000 miles of water.

I heard someone was getting Kingfish off the wacky jetty on a 2 hander.

McFish-

I saw the 6-20lb post as well but think that guide was generalizing about he size range of albies, perhaps taking into account they get bigger down South. As far as taking line, I can attest to screaming runs. A few days ago I hooked up on the spin gear and broke off at the leader with well over 150yds out while palming the spool a bit too agressively. While I seemed to be able to break off almost instantly on the fly, need to work on that non-slip loop knot or my tippet is junk.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM

The thing I like best about your report is the effect it will have on the elbow room in my favorite shore spots this weekend.

I agree it is refreshing to hear the real deal from someone who spends hours and hours on the water.
A big difference from some who I shall not name who's reports are blatant adds. [Paid sponser or not] Even worse when he/they recycle old reports and present them as if they were fresh news. Must think we have short memories.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
A big difference from some who I shall not name who's reports are blatant adds. [Paid sponser or not] Even worse when he/they recycle old reports and present them as if they were fresh news. Must think we have short memories.
That was my point, Mike. It read like an ad, not a fishing report. I will be heading towards NY waters on Sunday I'll call you to see how the rest of your week is going to pan out. Tight lines!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Just to be clear, I was not refering to the same guy you were Rick. The same general idea though.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 AM

[QUOTE][What free time we do have should be used wisely. Not sent on some wild goose chase of someones feeble attempt to embellished reports of their imagination.

Now for today's fish report:

/QUOTE]

I've got dozens of emails asking for more information. The Seekonk River was so loaded with outriggers Saturday, that the college sculling event scheduled had to be cancelled. I feel about about this. It was all a hoax and I'm truely sorry!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.