Plymouth - 9-27 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Plymouth - 9-27

The Boneclave was great, got to put a hook in albies 3 times but lost 'em all. The absence of the bass and blues left me itching to hit the local waters I call home. I was not disappointed this morning and picked up right where I left off last week. The surface activity was steady right up until 8:30am when off to work I went.

I'm really posting this because some of you guys yak Plymouth in the fall. It's ON! The flats off Nelson street were covered by 8am today and it was just getting going when I left. Most of my fish were in 12' or more today but I would have loved to stay an extra hour to get into the 2' water on those flats. Decent sized blues are mixed in with bass that were mostly in the 22" to 27" range with a few 16" mixed in. Not big fish but the numbers made up for it and helped bring my avg back up.

If you are putting in at Nelson beach you'll have to wait ~1hour after dead low or drag it a long way, it's a moon tide. I've found that this time of year the action at dusk is sometimes better than dawn but haven't been out much in the evening YET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Hey I live in plymouth.

I was fishing the buzzards bay side (bourne) before work and go into some keepahs today.

Let me know if you ever want to fish together before work or whenever.

I didn't know there were any plymouth fishers on the board.

I've never fished the nelson area but fished Ellisville last week and it was dead.

thanks for the report
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Fished Bourne area estuary this morning. Lots of big fish in the mix. I used a floating line drag free drift and a size one deceiver and they would snag it just as it started to swing.

Great morning, great sunrise

tight lines
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM

I'm in Plymouth. Been chunking Hobbs Hole with no luck, and only have a light fly rod that will work for schoolies. I can definately meet up in the area though, would enjoy learning from some more experienced people.

I'm only about 10 minutes from Nelson Street too. Didn't know there were good fishable flats up there. How high does it get, and is it wadeable?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Thinking more about it, I'm going to try and make trip tomorrow morning (saturday), probably around dead low (7:45) to check out the area. No guarantees, but I'll be wearing a green hat with SNK on it.

Last edited by South Shore; 09-28-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Let me know how you do.

I can't make it but we can get together some time before the stripers go away for the season.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
CantAnchorUs

I`ll be at Pips Rip at first light. Thats the Canal side of the jetty at Scussett beach. Look me up if you get down that far.
Slinger
Old 09-28-2007, 06:03 PM

The flats are accessible by kayak, canoe, inflatable, that sort of thing. The fish do sometimes come in close but that's more likely on the top of the incoming. There will be a dropping tide tomorrow morning, which is not the best tide for that area. You'd be better off on the back plymouth beach out across the channel from the Red can down to the Green can near shore, an area you can wade. The jetties in the front of the beach can be productive on an incoming too, but once the sun gets up there it's iffy.

Can't make it tomorrow, kid's sports. Sunday I hope to hit the Albies with my buddy who missed the clave, but might get out in the AM one weekday.

Slinger, good luck at Pip's, that's a great spot, never fished it in daylight though. You thinking FA's?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm still learning the area so its a big help. I probably won't be fishing tomorrow until after the sun comes up, so I was thinking I'd check out the Nelson St. area to get to know it. I just don't want to be knee-deep in mud. There is a channel a little ways out I see on a map I have that I might be able to get out to at low and then work my way back in as the tide comes in.

If I can't really wade the area I'll check out the jetties on the front of the beach.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 PM
CantAnchorUs

Got to Pips at 3:30 and by sunrise had 8 shorts, current changed at 5:30. I`ll probably get back again tomorrow morning. Guys fishing fresh sandeels were slaughering them.
Slinger
Old 09-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Slinger,
Are things that dead in Rhody?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.