Rip Trip Report - 9/22/07 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
President of CAC

Rip Trip Report - 9/22/07

NO WIND.... left at 7:30 and had 11 guys on the trip. This was another classic Rip Trip... we get to the drop off around 8 and the entire water area from the drop off to the point was full of large blue fish breaking right in the wash and out.... FA's were spoted just out of reach but Basses hooked up only to lose it and some of us saw the pointy noses inbetween blue fish blizes. For every 5 or so blues caught one came up as a striper . The pain of constantly switching between mono and wire.... pick up a striper then break off with a blue. Doc used thick mono and Fred and Jim kept mono on and lead the team with early stripers. Sean was a constant hook up all day while we held steady for about 2 hours...then the lull... the usual lull with lunch and the occasional blue or striper.... then about 2 hours before we had to leave more hookups, double and triples.... one guy with a blue on while his neighbor with a striper. I caught 4 fat stripers...then a blue in about 15 minutes and so on. Jim and Sephon were moving all over the place and Pete did as well....no place along the beach was slow. Polareyez was on constantly. Art never took a break all day and neither did Sean. I look around and see Jim, Pete and Fred standing up on the bluff just watching---taking a break. Even while we waited for the pick up Larry caught two large blues which Pam, Jim's wife takes home for dinner...then Pete walks down and hooks up as does Basses.... Great company as usual...lots of ribbing and laughs.... a great day to spend a sept. saturday... The SW wind picked up just as we got off the Rip ryder...Thanks Keith and Ed and Mrs. L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Who is...

Jack Darkside?!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 AM

Good report. Looks like maybe next weekend we'll get a shot at those albies.
FishHawk
Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Another great trip to the Rip....blues ruled the day for me, although did catch a few nice bass, with the last fish of the day looking about 28" or so (Polareyez caught it's twin a short time later)...loved the way some of the blues would explode two feet into the air on the end of my line...like a cross between a trout and a piranha, but on STEROIDS. If Bill "The Albie Whisperer" had been with us, we probably would have gotten into the hardtails as well. Hope those guys going next weekend have a great time (I'll be on call, so can't make it)....see everybody at the Spring Clave '08....
Flydoc

Last edited by flydoc; 09-23-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Great time

I'd agree with Doc. It was a great day for all. I fished high in water collum all day with either a floating line or an intermediate and a boyant fly. It is so much fun to see the blues boil and slash at the surface. I did not get a striper all day, but what the heck. Special thanks to John for letting me stay at the CAC and setting up the trip. Jim S thanks for talking me into getting those last two fish.
Larry
Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Squire animal

Sounded like a real blast. I must get down there sometime.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Middle Aged Member

Great time. Got to donate a bunch of old, rusty hooked phlyes to Neptune to dress up his fishes with lip piercing. Big thanks to Jack Darkside, man of mystery and hero of the realm.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
One fish, two fish, striped fish, blue fish

What a day! I couldn't believe walking around the first point after the drop off and seeing fish busting as far as I could see, and it continued for a couple of hours while we were there... It's awfully hard to tie knots whie your hands are shaking and fish are busting literally at your feet. It was nice to see everyone. Thanks to Striblue for his organizing and for getting all the fish to show up on cue... Next time John, Please try to get Uncle Albert to stay for a while.....

Garry

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Local Boob

Great trip guys thanks for having me along.

That spot sure is something, real interesting to watch how bass relate to the mung line.

Jim - next time I'll practice some piracy and knock that dim-wit senseless with a clouser.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
President of CAC

Sean, I assume you mean that guy with the boat who slid along the current yards off shore right in our path....The Boat had the words.."Fly Fishing Edition" on It's side and I think it was a Parker Center c...but could be wrong on the boat make...but not the name... He was using a spinning rod (nothing wrong with that btw)...just that he was catching nothing and flycasting was easy there. Anyone know "fly Fishing Edition"?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I saw all of you guys fishing off the point. I was on a charter on Banshee out of Chatham with my Mom and a few in-laws/relatives. Because of the number of people on the boat fly fishing was out of the question or else only one person at a time could have gone. We were using jigs out in the rip and shortly after we got there both my wife's cousin and my mom hooked big fish. My mom was the only one to land hers but it was a monster 41" female! I got a 37" male a little while later, and my wife's cousin got a 32" fish. We also got into a few big blues.

I was pitching a light spinning rig with 14 lb test on it and a sluggo while there were three people trolling rods behind the boat in the current. Right as we were leaving because the action dried up, I decided to pitch one more cast out. I let the sluggo sink for a couple of seconds and as soon as I flipped the bail BAM big fish on. It ran until over half my spool was empty and then turned right back towards the boat and I was reeling as fast as I could. It then went deep a couple of times and I slowly brought it up to the surface. The 14 lb test couldn't have been holding by much! Just as I got it alongside the boat, the hook pulled. It put up a good 15-20 minute fight which was awesome, but I don't know what it was. It was either a monster blue or a false albie. The deep runs and the really long first run make me think maybe it was an albie but I'll never know. Oh well, it was a blast! After that not much action for the rest of the day other than another big blue on the light rod.

Hopefully next time you guys schedule a rip trip I won't have a charter trip that weekend....... That's a tough one though!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Hi John
I thought it was a contender
Larry
Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Local Boob

Thats the one John, a few times he nearly beached.

Jim yelled at him and he took off, but what a dip I really wish Rommel had gotten him.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
resigned

What did Pete think of all this lack of vertical airspace? Must have left the mini portable underwater bazooka torpedo rig back in the car? Too much added weight for the Rip Ryder. Next Rip Trip..............PVC pipe and some big potatoes?

Phil
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Phil- no need for the PVC potatozooka...next time I'll just stow my S+W Model 29...aka "The Dirty Harry Special"...in my pack with a few speedloaders...a few choice rounds below the waterline will have that puppy thinking twice about crowding agents of the FFF during their covert ops to the rip tip
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.