South County 9/30/07-10/5/07 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

South County 9/30/07-10/5/07

I'll be out there the first week if anyone wants to meet up and fish pseudo-tuna from various UDL's. I am usually in the "Jerusalem area" every morning but will also be further west on the top half of the incoming. I would also appreciate any PM'd reports from the aforementioned UDL as the last couple of years have been lean for me at that particular location, although the former usually performs well.

Don't worry Phil...I won't give away any of "your" flies

Tight lines,

Rick

Last edited by FlyFishMich; 09-19-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 AM

I will be fishing the same areas during that time. When I know my schedule better we can figure out a way to connect.
As to your UDLs, I haven't fished that one in the west since the F/A arrived. I have visited and observed good bait concentrations. However I will say that that spot is no longer any fun on weekends, even worse if the fish ARE showing. I see you solicited intel from the famous writter on the other board. His info will be more current, assuming he provides any.
The UDL to the east has been very consitent. The weekend crowds are daunting but liveable. The key is to arrive predawn for a parking space and a good rock to stand on.
Bring food and plan to stay all day. The bite has been good all through the day making the run west not worth the afternoon hassel.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
I will be fishing the same areas during that time. When I know my schedule better we can figure out a way to connect.
As to your UDLs, I haven't fished that one in the west since the F/A arrived. I have visited and observed good bait concentrations. However I will say that that spot is no longer any fun on weekends, even worse if the fish ARE showing. I see you solicited intel from the famous writter on the other board. His info will be more current, assuming he provides any.
The UDL to the east has been very consitent. The weekend crowds are daunting but liveable. The key is to arrive predawn for a parking space and a good rock to stand on.
Bring food and plan to stay all day. The bite has been good all through the day making the run west not worth the afternoon hassel.
Thanks Mike! I sent you a PM
Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Light tackle enthusiasts are finding good fishing along the South County shores. There are still plenty of albies around, striper fishing is improving with cooler nights, and bluefish abound in the upper bay and west to Westerly. There is plenty of diverse action to suit any fishermanís needs. The weather continues to cooperate.

The West Wall continues to hold false albacore during the morning tides. Winds and surf have been light making for great surface visuals. Albies will run up and down the foot of the sea walls waiting for trapped anchovies to emerge from the boulders. Fly fishermen have the edge on the jetties. Small epoxy flies with silver, olive, and brown contrast work best. Very fast two handed retrieves and no pause work seems to do the trick. Be patient; work the fly line continuously regardless of fish sightings.

Most of the bigger schools of immature anchovies in the open water have moved out. The number of pods of albies has dwindled too. Anglers are having a better hook-up rate using conventional spinning gear. The number of surface blitzes has diminished, but the fish are more cooperative to take other offerings. Longer cast are a must. Fewer fish in each pod and boat noise have kept them at a bay. As the morning wears on, the surface action dissipates. Best shots are right after sunrise.

Striper fishing has improved during the morning bite. It peeks at false dawn and slowly fades with the rising temperatures. Patches of mullet can be seen skating across the surface fleeing for their lives. Some bass in the low teens have been swimming in the surf. Plenty of immature bluefish were schooled along the shores of East Matunuck Beach. As you move west toward the breachways more and more peanut bunker are holding. The salt ponds are loaded with them. Bluefish as large as ten pounds or more slash the bait at times.

Dan Devine and Joe Hebert got some fast fleeting albies on separate trips this week. Dan fishing under less than good weather conditions Saturday had no problem landing this beauty.

Joe had more than is hands full with this baby! Congratulations Joe on your first albie caught fish. He is no longer an albie virgin, Joe canít wait till his next hookup.

Dan

Joe
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
resigned

Rick can't seem to get here soon enough. The last I heard he was wearing a funny looking white jacket with all those weird looking belts all around it. Mr. Houdini had a few if I remeber correctly. Rick's wife said he was acting rather unusual and thus the new jacket materialized. Funny fish can do that to you.

I urge all of you to make a connection and fish with this gentleman. In all due respect..........Rick Darby is one of the finest of his kind. Just beware the funny fish. Rock dancing is to your advantage and keeping up with Rick can be daunting.

If he gives you a fly......bury it deep in your flyboxbox where it will be hard to find. You WILL want to copy it when you get home. I have one left and it is under lock and key! Got the Slam with this one fly that catches everything in the sea!

Phil
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
I urge all of you to make a connection and fish with this gentleman. In all due respect..........Rick Darby is one of the finest of his kind. Just beware the funny fish. Rock dancing is to your advantage and keeping up with Rick can be daunting.

If he gives you a fly......bury it deep in your flyboxbox where it will be hard to find. You WILL want to copy it when you get home. I have one left and it is under lock and key! Got the Slam with this one fly that catches everything in the sea!

Phil
Thanks Phil, I am blushing And its even more apparent in this white jacket I am buckled into. 237 hours until I wet a fly out there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.