Lanyards, anyone? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
J. Marcus

Lanyards, anyone?

I'm in the process of designing a fly fishing lanyard. Would any of you who use them be so kind as to chime in with what you think the best characteristics of a good lanyare are?

Thanks in advance,

J. Marcus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 AM

comfortable on the neck and rigid so that the various things go get ensnared with each other. for the salt, it should be able to hold the essentials-nippers, plenty of flies, tippet material, maybe eye glass cleaner or small cloth, and additional clips and or tie downs for other stuff that are particular to each user(i like to carry additional leaders for example, one of my friends carries a knot tieing tool). for fresh water i'd add some type of holder for floatant and one for sinking putty or spritz or split shot and perhaps a threader as well as a strike indicator. good luck, and i'd love to try on e when your done.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Lanyards rock. I received one at the Denver show from Morningstar to field test and had a hard time rationalizing the removal of tools from familiar placements on my chest pack - then I noticed my friend John Morin aka "the minimalist" who shuns goretex like a down coat in summer and prefers to wear only a lanyard when fishing... wearing a particularly 60's array of mad angler pukka with great utility and decided to give it a try.

Once I donned those hippie beads it was all over! Never going back, the lanyard is essential.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Marcus
I'm in the process of designing a fly fishing lanyard. Would any of you who use them be so kind as to chime in with what you think the best characteristics of a good lanyare are?
A friend gave me a cheap lanyard a few years back that I originally used just for wet wading in the summers. But as I spent more time with it, I began to enjoy not having all the weight of a vest or pack around my shoulders and neck. Now I use it all the time.

One of the things I'd like to see is some sort of attachment points for pin-on retractors or zingers. I use hemos to hold my flies while I tie them on and have developed the habit of twisting the hemos in the process of tying knots. The result is a twisted attachment on the lanyard.

Ideas for a fix are quite welcome.

CC
Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 AM
President of CAC

As juro said, I use one all the time but the ones I use are all freshwater designed. I would love to see one just for salt...don't need the attachments for putty, or even the attachement for tippet material...I put that in my pocket... also a little more heavy duty, and salt proof.... and most important... a couple more attachement devices instead of the usual 5. Finally a good emergency detatchemnt clasp...not one that wears out and does not clasp well over time. don't want to get stangled by accident. All the lanyards I see and those I use have a padded neck foam sleeve. One good design device might be and ability for the lanyard to "adjust" to hight so to speak....lower or higher. If I have to use a backpack vest the pockets to the vest usually equal the hight of the lanyard...so I lay the lanyard over the pockets...a lanyard adjusted to just below the pockets and at a comfortable hand level position would be a sales coup. That way the vest can be layed over the lanyard and the tools would hang just below the pockets. Once I hook up with a fish, I just toss the lanyard over my back so as to not get it tangled with the line . (probably could not toss it over if it was under the pockets...but it might be low enough not to tangle anyway-another benefit to adjustability) so...a new improvement would be a strong adjustable lanyard... there are none as far as I know. I would love to design one just for salt...adjustable, a couple more salt friendly attacement pins and heavy duty. Don't forget to beads..need the beads...make them all different ...no two alike .... If you don't do it I will (just Kidding)

Last edited by striblue; 09-26-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.