Blood on the new boat - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Fly chucker

Blood on the new boat

Stripers and blues yesterday.....albacore spotted, but small pods and very flighty.

Put 53 miles on the new ride between Race Rock, Fire District Beach, and many points in between. No shortage of bait in that neck of the woods! I've been reading that a certain man made stucture in RI was loaded with albacore yesterday morning, but it was also loaded with an armada of over 50 boats. Glad I wasn't there to experience that mess, even though reports state that most folks were well behaved.
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Unfortunately my own experience does not agree with what you were told about that "certain manmade structure".
The number of albies was a fraction of what we've seen the past two weeks and the behavoir of the fleet was an embarassment to our sport.
Only a few pods showing along the wall but for some reason a large contingent of boats decsended on them as if they were the only pods within miles. Guys on the jetty fighting fish were cut off by boats. Boats were coming with in 50 feet of the crowded jetty and actually getting between the shore fishermen and the fish they were trying to cast to. I finally quit when the guys in the boats and the guys on the jetty were literally screaming threats of bodily harm at one another.
The sad thing is, there are so many fish around, if the boaters had given the shore guys their few pods they probably would have found many more fish elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez
Unfortunately my own experience does not agree with what you were told about that "certain manmade structure".
The number of albies was a fraction of what we've seen the past two weeks and the behavoir of the fleet was an embarassment to our sport.
This is in fact opposite of what I've been reading. I'll trust your observation on this one, and am now more thankful that I wasn't there.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Yah, it wasn't a pretty sight. You had to laugh although a few people let it get to them and I'm sure their day was ruined.
I had two personal encounters with numbskulls.
The first was an older gentleman next to me who kept hooking bluefish. Despite the fact that he was using a stout surf rod, he had his drag set too loose and he played each fish for a good ten minutes, letting them run all over and following them down the jetty. Several times albies blew up right in front of me but I couldn't cast as I would have had to cast across his line.
The second was after I had given up and was walking off the jetty. As I walked along, a pod of albies came up in the happy, slow methodical way that means hookable fish. They were about three cast lengths away and heading right for me. I stopped, dropped all my gear, strapped on my stripping basket and began pulling line of my reel in anticipation of getting one at the buzzer. Before I had a chance, a boat from the fleet came flying down and proceded to drive right into the pod as if they wanted to run them over. They drifted for a minute looking surprised that the fish were gone and then took off again without even making a cast.
If only they were in a zodiac I'd have thought Greenpeace had a Save the Albies campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Secret:Time on the water

That just blows!!!!! I never get near the shore guy's I once was a shore guy and still do fish from terra firma and I absolutely lose my mind when someone in a boat pulls that sort of thing. Just no reason for it and I would guess the guy's in the boats were not very accomplished fisherman or else they would have gone and found their own fish somewhere not so crowded. Last Saturday there was a couple of guy's in Yaks out in the middle of the Harbor of Refuge and they could not possibly keep up with the fast movement of the pods of albies. One of them had not hooked up at all and was not using what i would call the best spinning lure for the task at hand. I told him to come over and gave him some Zoom Super Flukes and hooks to rig them with. Showed him how to rig em' and sent him on his way. We continued to fish but anytime the fish got within his distance I backed off to give him an opportunity to catch as well. I never saw him hookup although I hope he did but that is the way it should be everyone sharing and enjoying the scene. Man this post gets under my skin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.