Taste of Fall - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Taste of Fall

Here in New England, North America we are getting a taste of fall now. A few of the leaves are already changing and the mornings and evenings are crisp. The color of the sky is vibrant and days are shortening.

Bait infuses the region on the coast and the wildest of the wooly fishing is about to unroll in front of us as Boneclave nears.

I dream of such days in the pacific northwest as well, when big searun steelhead start to think like the trout hidden deep inside those silver armored missle bodies and they can be tempted to torpedo a dry fly.

This fall I am going to tour the fall foliage areas in the White and Green Mountains with a 5wt in hand, areas full of deep memories for me.

We're supposed to get 90 degree weather this weekend around Boston... surely the last of the hots for the year. I think I will have a lobster in the rough this weekend to bid the summer of 2007 farewell in proper fashion.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 06:02 AM
In moderation

Juro
You are just a hopeless romantic.

I am off to Canada on monday.

have fun.

Pete
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tis' true my friend... hopeless being the key word!

Good luck with those atlantics
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 AM

The birds have been shifting to fall mode for weeks, long before other, less subtle indicators start to show.
The resident pair of redtail hawks that share my home patch absconded from the spring/summer breeding grounds in mid August. The newly fledged baby they left behind sat around a screeched to be fed for over a week before getting down to business. Now I see him every morning in the same dead tree his parents used to perch in warming in the early sun's rays. If the red and grey squirrels had a productive season and the weather is mild, he may stay the whole winter.
My bluebirds, after two successful broods in the box outside my office window, have moved off to where ever it is they go at this time of year. They'll be back in midwinter when the snow is on the ground, sleeping in their nest box by night and guarding the winter berries from migrating robins by day.
The main body of the kildeer flock has moved on leaving behind recent fledglings from late third broods. These naive youngsters are favorite sport of the coopers hawks that are passing through now. If I go outside and hear several kildeers all giving their alarm call, I stop and look out over the fields and soon enough spot the winged preditor. If his first pass was discovered in time, he'll be sailing away empty taloned. If he got the drop on the kildeer, he'll be busy plucking his dinner while the downy feathers blow in the wind.
At the south coast RI beach I lurk in now, the flock of tree swallows has reached the thousands as more and more migrants join the flock from the north. They'll spend the next several weeks there feeding over the salt marshes and fattening up for the jump across the water to Long Island and than on to Cape May. One day in October the flock will be so thick it'll look like smoke from a distance. Next day, when the first frost kills the last of the winged insects, the swallows will be gone without a trace.
And of course the fish, which after all is why you're reading this post. The young of the year bunker and herring are clouding the water and the bluefish and other preditors are "turned on". Bonito are being replaced with false albacore in southern New England and the stripers and blues are schooling up north ready to make the long journey.
Like Juro, I too am looking forward to some outdoor activity this weekend that involves boiled lobster. A fat fall bluefish on the grill will be the appetizer. Later I hope to do battle with some fast swimmers. Hopefully the morning bite will be good cause I gotta be home in time for the start of my football season.
Damn I love this time of year! Someday when I grow up and get rich I'm gonna take the whole month of September off!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 PM

nice guys...nice work there. IMHO there is some talent on this board...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Very nice piece, Mike. Your observations of late summer bird behavior make for very entertaining and informative reading. Keep them coming (with or without fish notes).

Cheers,

Eric
Old 09-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I cranked on the AC for what I hope is the last time this year. I'm not a fan of the heat!

On the good side, I've been planning a weekend trout trip to northern VT for about a month from now. It should be prime time by then!

And on another good side, my wife told me today that I was cleared to get an ocean kayak next spring at tax return time. I can't wait.....
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM

this thread needs a bump...good stuff! Today it didn't get much over 60 degrees in Michigan, and with the cooler weather come the Salmon!! Bring it on!!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Satisfied

Getting cooler, (FINALLY), in the northern Rockies also! Fall hatches are starting to pick up, hopper fishing continues, and streamer season is just around the corner. Oh, the tourists are starting to get scared of the weather, providing solitude for the rest of us!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Flats Rat

Frost warnings for tonight in our neck of the woods.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
_

I had ice on the car this morning, but let's not rush things. After tomorrow it's back to summer time for another week or so

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.