Falmouth Kayak Launches - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Falmouth Kayak Launches

Hey all.

Will be down to Falmouth for a family function for the weekend...looking to try for hardtails from the kayak early on Saturday AM...I'm not usually down that way...might someone suggest a launch site, without burning any secret spots of course....anyone interested in a paddle?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM

I found them thick from Nobska to Tarpaulin cove yesterday, and also scattered pods around Woods Hole harbor. Kayak launch spots are all about parking: If you can find a place to leave a car, try launching at Nobska beach and paddling over to Nonamesset island. (I think parking at Nobska beach "should" be OK this time of year, but don't hang me if something bad happens to your car.) Otherwise, try to find parking in Woods Hole and launch at the beach next to the stone jetty. (That's all 2-hr metered parking, so be prepared for a ticket of too if you let the meter run out.)
If you launch early, you can find free street parking between the Woods Hole ramp and the yacht club; launch at the ramp and go over to Devil's foot island or maybe even across the hole to Nonamesset.
Another alternative is to park at the town's Trunk river beach lot and look for hardtails from there to Nobska.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 AM

Josko,

By "something bad happening to your car" do you mean a ticket...or something more heinous? I was figuring that parking should be an easier deal here after labor day, and since I was planning to be off the water by 9AM I didn't figure parking meters would come into play...appreciate the suggestions....
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM

I meant a ticket, or possibly a tow. Chances are low after Labor day, but not zero. If you're off the water by 9, park at Nobska beach and I'd be amazed if you don't find hardtails within 1/2 mile. They were all over Great Ledge yesterday.

If you've never been there, current is strong in Woods Hole passage. Check something like tbone for slack and peak current times, and do take a look at Eldrige's or a chart to get an idea how the current moves.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks Josko,

I'm appropriately cautious about the current through Wood's Hole....not sure I'll venture into / across on my first trip out there, but will look at the current info to get an idea of what I might face.....

Also need to pay attention to other boaters in tricky conditions who might not be paying as much attention to a kayaker....have been given good space out by Race Point, but I don't think the boating is as challenging there as through Wood's Hole...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Ended up launching at Menauhant Beach....right next to where we were staying...into some heavy winds and seas washing over the boat on a regular basis.

Plenty of fish around, but a bit tough to get close and set up the fly cast with the wind and seas. Hooked and played one bonito, but little guy nipped through the line just as I was reaching for him...cast to several pods of FAs as well.

Will need to try another trip in nicer weather. The few boats that were out there left me plenty of room, as there were enough pods for everyone to have their own and then some...

Seemed to be most fish outside of Waquoit, which made for a tough paddle into wind and seas on the way back in..no surprise there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.