sneeky pete - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM

sneeky pete

Hey guys I need to tie up a fleet of bass/ pan fish flies so one of the patterns I was thinking about tieing was a sneaky Pete. but my question is, what do you use for the tail. I heard poly yarn but I cant find any at any of my local shops. So I have also heard about sing some Krystal flash to match the body. But anything you guys can tell me would be much appreciated. Also any other essential pan fish/bass patterns for streams I should know about. I have a small selection of clousers darters and deep minnows. but I need stuff i can launch on a 5wt.

THANKS
Sean Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
You can use just about anything for the tail. A couple of hackle feathers and a little marabou is a good combo. Tie the hackle feathers curving outwards like legs. A couple of rubber legs behind the head of the fly is a good idea too.

As for other patterns, woolly buggers are great for panfish. Put a good bit of sparkle in them. My number one streamer fly for panfish is the Hornberg. I've caught literally thousands on them over the last 20 years, and gotten bass and pickerel on this fly too. Another good bass fly is a Dahlberg Diver. Great for fishing where it's weedy.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:20 PM

I loves da Sneaky Pete's! use torpedo bobbers for the body and tie 'em big! LIke a #2 or #4. I sometimes use colored deer hair for the tail, yellow red, green. I also like a mouse imitator. My favorites though are crayfish imitators, in a 4,6,and 8. I wrap the hook shank in lead, and have gone to using copper wire for the body to show segmentation.
They're a little harder to make but worth it as they cost 3 to 4 bucks a piece if purchased! Enjoy!!
Bill
Old 09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I second everything teflon jones said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.