Juneau Alaska Shore fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Juneau Alaska Shore fishing

Hello,

I am heading up to Juneau Alaska in a few hours. My father had a heart attack there and is on life support. He is not expected to make it.

I am looking for some advise on spots to fish from shore around there and any tips or things to watch out for besides the typical bears would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Greg -

Sorry to hear about your father.

I know he would prefer you to put some memories of fishing in your mind as part of your visit to see him, as you would insist your own sons do.

Hook some kings and coho for him.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Greg,
I just now saw your post. I'm sorry to hear about your father. This time of year there are cohos returning to the rivers. I would check with the Fly Fishing Shop downtown called Juneau Fly Fishing Goods. They can tell you where there are fish.

What they call "out the road" about 30 miles North of Downtown there is Bridget State Park that has a two mile trail to the mouth of Cowie Creek through the woods. There are bears along the trail. Before Cowie creek is another river called Peterson creek. In June this has been a Steelhead river with a small run of Steelhead. Several years ago Fish & Game blocked the river so that other fish could not enter. I'm not sure if it has a run of Coho Salmon. At Gastineau Channel in front of the Empire Newspaper and a private hatchery called Dypac there would be Pink Salmon and Dollie Varden. At low tide there will be other fly fishermen you will see at the mouth of the river. Finally, South of downtown there is Salmon Creek.

On Douglas across the bridge from Juneau going North there is another river "Fish Creek" that has also supported a run of King Salmon in June. I don't know if any other species of salmon are available in September.
Best wishes,
Larry
Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Greg sorry to hear about your Father I know what you'll be going through.
Bill(FishHawk)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Greg,

So sorry to hear about your father.

The Mendenhall (sp) river fishes well during Coho season and is only a couple of miles from town.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts and information. I wish I was here under different circumstances, not much I can do about that.

It so beautiful here in Alaska, ever time I come here I have a tough time leaving.

I do hope to catch a few and bring some home, I know it's kind of late in the season.
But there should still be some opportunities from the sounds of things.

Thanks for the detailed info Larry and Dave I'll checkout some of the spots for sure. I wouldn't dream of coming here without my fly fishing gear.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.