Historic section of the Susquehanna river devastated by pollution - The Clouser Deep - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
chromedome

Historic section of the Susquehanna river devastated by pollution - The Clouser Deep

I recently stopped into Bob Clouser's fly shop south of Harrisburg PA during a trip where I was passing near by. He's a great guy to talk to. I asked him about how his guide business was going. He told me that productivity on the nearby Middletown stretch of the Susquehanna river had become so poor that it was necessary to travel forty miles upriver to get decent fishing and this was prohibitive due to the cost of gas. To give a better idea of how rapidly the fishing has dropped off, Bob said that 10 years ago, two anglers fishing 6 to 8 hours in the Middletown area, could expect to catch between 50 and 75 smallmouth per outing. Today one is hard pressed to catch 1 in an hour or two. So Bob is not guiding anymore. It was on this very stretch of river that Bob originally developed his fabulously successful Clouser Deep Minnow. And if only for that reason, this part of the Susquehanna is of great importance in fly fishing lore and history. Pollution, presumably from the expanding Harrisburg area, is what did the river in. Bob's comments that "It looks as if certain agencies can make more money off of humans than animals" and "animals can't vote" more or less sums up some of the bad attitude that went into destruction of both this river and many others across our land. He pointed out that most causes of mass amounts of nutrients come from agriculture, medical waste and over stressed public sewer systems. He also said that a lot of livlihoods were lost when the river went sour. Putting it mildly and kindly, I'm guessing there had to be insufficient concern for environmental impact as the expansion took place. Perhaps an even larger concern here is that the Susquehanna is the major tributary to Chesapeake Bay. The decline of biogrowth in the Bay and the great negative economic impact this has had, is well known and widely publicized. Surely the river pollution is contributing to this decline. Its hard for me to believe that measures were not in place to prevent all this destruction as the expansion proceeded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 PM
chromedome

Title of the thread got truncated

The title somehow got cut off. It should have read:

Historic section of the Susquehanna river devastated by pollution - The Clouser Deep Minnow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.