Washburn trip End of Aug 2007 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Washburn trip End of Aug 2007

This past Monday I took my family over to Washburn island for a little camping and fishing. The weather was outstanding, enough wind to keep the bugs down but not so much to make the water rough. A couple of evenings we enjoyed an orange full moon rising as dusk over Waquiot bay, pictures cannot represent this spectacle. The kids enjoyed the wild life catching crabs and baitfish in a shiner trap. It was a great time, now for the fishing.

I started things off early in the morning on Monday fishing with a buddy before the family arrived. The target species was bonito and the plan was to hit the hooter for a sure thing. Word at the ramp was Tashmoo was happening. We cleared Wacky after scoping out the campsite and dropping off some gear, missed the morning schoolie blitz but we soon into blues big time. The first school we hit had some brusiers in it then school after school of 3-5lb blues. After crossing a couple of rips and seeing the wind was going to be a factor I decided even going near Wasque rip never mind 10 miles past the Vineyard was not a great idea.

Off to Tashmoo The pond was dumping full bore, sand eels outside the opening and pnuts and silversides in the breachway. Im talking bait soup, never seen that many pnuts in the pond. Ive fished this area a good bit from shore and this day I wish I could have been on the jetty. The current was too much to fish effectively and safely from a boat but there were some LARGE bass right in the rocks just crushing bunker. I tried to swing a fly in that area but no dice, my buddy did manage to catch the no wake sign with a yozuri popper but didnt land it. We messed around outside the pond waiting for something to happen but after 20 minutes or so I decided move on.

We checked Middle ground, seemed dead. Vineyard Haven had a lot of boat traffic so we skipped it checking out East chop. Now Im wondering if we should hit the rips Im ready to troll the Hedge anything for some sashimi ya know.

I decided to check out he bridges at State beach This was a good move for we found the target species in a big way. Prime time was 8:30-9:30 and they were running the edges of the sand bars in tight to the beach with very few birds present. No other boats were in the area when we got the first shot. I positioned the boat and my buddy tossed spin gear as the wind had become an issue on this side of the island. A few more times we get ahead of the slashes and bang, hes on. A short while later I tail a small / medium bone, a quick pic and a couple of well placed punctures and weve got a bloody boat. One thing I noticed is that when a fish is hooked the others lay low for 10 or so minutes following the landing. Anyone ever notice that? Unfortunately now a small fleet descended on us and not all were well behaved, that scene was over. I took some long shots with metal without a hit.

I picked up the family we set up camp and got double and triples on blues but I didnt feel comfortable taking them far from shore, the boat could have use a bit more HP or the prop is a little tired. The next couple of days we hit the blues and did some scup fishing after the blues wore em out.
Wednesday morning I woke at 5:30 like I did each day to catch the bass blitz and nail some blues before the family got up. Today is was real calm and after hitting the bass and blues I decided to run over to state beach. Figuring it might be a time of day thing I was on site at 8:30 to find nothing but more blues but lots of bait. Maybe its a tide thing I thought so hit OB, got gas and check out the rips more blues. I got back to State beach around 10am to find a few boats already on scene. I ran towards big bridge to get away from the crowd and found the bones running toward little bridge and the crowd, being alone I took a few shots with poppers and metal but no intrest even with a really great head on fish porposing out the of the water directly at me shot boy that was cool to see. I continued to take spin shots at them but the crowd worked against itself and only a few times did I get a decent shot. I did sort of figure out how they were running and positioned where they would pop up next but the armada was steaming on them before I could get a close shot with the fly.

To be contined it gets better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1733.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	6519  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 PM

Thanks for a great report Jim. I've got to get over to the fish the Vineyard one of these days. FishHawk
Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Pencil me in.....

[QUOTE=JimW]

One thing I noticed is that when a fish is hooked the others lay low for 10 or so minutes following the landing. Anyone ever notice that? Unfortunately now a small fleet descended on us and not all were well behaved, that scene was over. I took some long shots with metal without a hit.

QUOTE]

Noticed that last week with Albies. They were real shallow. If you are fishing with a pal, fellow with the spinning rod should always take the follow up shots after the fly guy.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:29 PM

I was fishing with Chuck so I was too busy ducking after I said bonito the trebles were a flyin'

Good advice on the fly taking the first shot.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Jim,
I'm buried at work, but this is a great story. Can't wait to get ou tthere and chase whatever around.
Lefty
Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It was crazy with bonito out there last weekend. We found them finicky but had action including a huge albie that nearly spooled Neal. Lots of blues. Bait thick as mud.

Let's hope they hang out, or we catch them on the southward push.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Juro, did you find the bones were breaking from daylight on or was there a particular time slot that had more of a showing? Just piecing together my notes and your observations from Saturday would help fill things in.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

Just to get you guys a little pumped, six albies in the boat yesterday, only one bite today, I was way south, the fish are keyed on small peanuts and charging hard.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The bones were awe-inspiring to say the least but only those pods on larger bait were willing to eat, even shunning the hardware Tom was rocketing into them. However we did get eaten, just not often compared to the opportunities.

I wish I were a fishing bum - I would make a college-thesis level study out of figuring them out on the fly (then move on to another species of course). They certainly have my curiosity.

Inshore there were more blues than bones, and then mixed blues and bones at slack tide which was frustrating because a perfect cast into the sickle tails would yield a bluefish every time. My guess is that the bass were right on the shoreline as they typically are this time of year but we never went in.

At slack there were a few pods, but once the tide current began to move mid-day all hell broke loose and there were hordes of bonito-only breaking "walls of whitewater" every which way you looked.

The key was tide flow and what it did to disable the bait's swim speed, IMHO.

We did not get out early nor stay late but while we were there tide flow was the energizing element as we had suspect it would be.

The albies seemed to be in the minority yet up where we were. I believe the rumors that they follow the bonito, that's been the trend every year I have been tracking it.

I suspect that the bones are pushing east with the SW winds as they have years past. As a kid they would wreak havoc at the mouth of the Herring River up to Hardings and I recall one year they pushed around the corner and hard up into Pleasant Bay and stayed there for days. I caught two from shore that year on flies, one right at the rockpile at the lighthouse in Chatham on an ebb tide.

My suspicion is that the Rip Trippers will see them at the tip. However you'd have to stray from the bass swing (slide) to hook the hardtails or hope they show during slack tide.

The arrival of bait on the North Monomoy flats signals the change to feasting thru the fall and that usually means hardtails at the corner too. Stage outlet at the refuge should be a great spot for shoreline hardtails for the next few weeks.

Anyway to answer the question the tide flow turned everything into high gear and we had that mid-day.

I filmed a lot of footage (even when we had willing fish in front of us) so will convert some and post it when I get a chance.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.