Looking for a trailer... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Looking for a trailer...

I got an amazing offer for a boat but I need a trailer. My dad told me he's selling both of his remaining boats since he's getting too old to use them, and I jokingly said "Give me one!" and he surprised me by saying "Yeah, why not."

It's a 28 ft Seahawk so I need to find a dual wheel trailer. I have to drive down to Virginia to get it but that's a small price to pay for a boat like that! If anybody can rent me a trailer until the spring that would be ideal since I really don't have the money to buy a trailer right now. From what I can see, a trailer big enough for that boat is going to cost me $5k unless I can find a deal somewhere.

I'll return the favor with fishing trips for stripers, and plenty of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Fly chucker

I don't have a lead on a trailer for you, but I have to assume that one for a boat that size will have brakes. Make sure that the boat and trailer are within the towing capacity of your tow vehicle, and make sure that your tow vehicle has all of the electrical components necessary (including an actuator, if required).
Old 08-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Jonesin...

Scott,

That is a big boat to trailer. My concern with someone loaning you a trailer would be adjusting it on site to fit the boat and then adjusting it back for theirs. Be it a roller or bunks the trailer would need to be adjusted so that it sits on a flat surface and not on the strakes or any intakes etc...Also for a trip of that distance I would highly reccommend having spear bearings, hubs etc... Also, what is the beam of that thing. You may have an issue with needing oversize permits which I believe are state by state.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
fish'n Hobo

Hey Teflon
Maybe look into getting someone to transport the boat up for you. put her up on blocks for the winter.

Look into dockage, mooring or rack/put & take storage for next year. You probably will not be wanting to trailer a 28 footer around. Besides being a BIG, heavy boat it will raise the ante for tow vehicle size, setting up the vehicle to tow and, as mentioned, the cost of the trailer.

Any idea of boat weight? then add fuel weight, gear and weight of trailer to determine towing weight .... it might surprise you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Thanks for the comments guys. I actually found out it's a 25' boat, not 28'. The beam is 9'. I found a place that does boat transport (not sure how much) and also has trailers for sale for about $2200. I'm not sure what the weight is but I think it's around 6000-7000 lb, which means I'll need a full size pickup. I can borrow one of those from my sister to do the haul, but I'm considering the pay-somebody-to-do-it-for-me route.

I researched it a bit and the boat is worth around $20,000, so if I have to spend a few thousand to get it here it's well worth it!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 PM

TJ,

I think it may be a good idea to hire it out. I know a thing or two about trucking & hauling. A boat that big & heavy really needs a 1 ton dually to travel over the highway. More rubber on the road & big brakes is what keeps the trailer behind the truck when you have to stop from highway speed.

You could do it with a safely with a 3/4 ton truck if you have experience hauling and can keep your speed down and following distances wide enough to stay out of trouble when someone all of a sudden decides to stop for no apparent reason

A smaller 1/2 ton full size truck will be OK around town to go from your house to a launch site. They do not have big brakes & heavy duty transmission components / coolers to handle that kind of load for extended travel.

Sounds like your man can haul it & sell you the trailer too. Not a bad way to go since you will have to have one anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.