Rip Trip - Friday, September 7 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
President of CAC

Rip Trip - Friday, September 7

Absent anything to the contrary from Keith we should try for the 7th...right now I have, me, FishHawk, Warren, N1gdo , jimS and Paxton...That's 6... will you start using this thread to communicate or SIGN UP for this Date... To simplify, those who indicated thay can go on the other thread...just confirm here so we have one thread on this. We really should get 10 or more so we can keep the cost to $30 each... anything less would cost us proportionatly more (since we would not join any birders - that I know of right now) . I have not spoke with keith on the cost if we have MORE than 10...so I will get that info. I will drive down on Thursday and if anyone needs a place to stay on Thursday night just let me know....I don't think I can put 10 up unless you have a sleeping bag and would floor it. Looking forward to this and hope the weather plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great tide (timing).

I can't do a weekday but wish you guys the best with the bait situation in place it could be explosive down there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM

John,
I was gonna drive down Friday, but staying at The CAC sounds like a much sounder idea as I have to leave Friday night. Unless the world goes totally haywire, I'll see you Thursday night the seventh. Of course I will keep an eye on this thread for further developments. We have to talk flydoc into having a tummy ache that day
Old 08-30-2007, 09:17 AM
President of CAC

Ok Warren...but Thursday night is the 6th....The Trip is Friday the 7th.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Flats Rat

Darn it - Friday 7th I have a big presentation in Cambridge after which I'm planning on heading to the Cape.

Hope to catch up with folks if anyone is still around.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM

John...just conforming that I am in, if it's a go. I appreciate your generous offer re staying at the CAC, but I teach a course at Assumption College on Thursday nights and wouldn't arrive at the Cape till around 10:30ish....might be better for me to just leave here at 4 in the morning.

Have some questions as I have never done the rip trip....I'm assuming that this is a fast sink line place??? Waders or just beach it? Waves or still water? Thanks
Ron
Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
We have to talk flydoc into having a tummy ache that day
Unless I was at death's doorstep, I'd still have to work, as one of my associates is on vacation today and tomorrow, and I'm covering his patients as well as mine. Sorry I'll miss it, but I can't dump this on my one remaining associate. See ya next time, and leave a few for me....
Flydoc
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Ok , hope the weather gods are good to us. Probably take you up on the Thurs. sleepover. FishHawk
Old 08-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
Unless I was at death's doorstep, I'd still have to work, as one of my associates is on vacation today and tomorrow, and I'm covering his patients as well as mine. Sorry I'll miss it, but I can't dump this on my one remaining associate. See ya next time, and leave a few for me....
Flydoc

Your a good Man doc. If I was in your shoes I would do the same. I think we can get one last blast in the following weekend. Then I am off to Quebec for a week or so.

John, I am so confused I meant the 6th, just a small brain fade there.....I stand corrected Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Paxton's Question ?

I too would appreciate some info on what works there...

Is it a wading spot or quick access to deep water ...?

Could we have a Rip Trip 101 correspondence course...

Thank you
Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Paxton & Frank,

Conditions would be similar to South Beach or any other sand type beach as far as water depth & beach structure, since I have only been once I imagine surf would depend on wind direction & tide etc...

Frank waders will be good unless you are an Iron man. Tackle would be your normal assortment of Salt Water flies and a 9 or ten wt rod. Bring some water & some munchies if you like. Rain jacket etc.... once we are out there we are there for the day.

I will more than likely bring the Atlantis two hander and a Ten wt for a backup in case one of us breaks a rod.

I am getting excited......whoooHooooo.....oh crap.... I need to tie some flies before next week .

I also better get off the computer, we are having a vicious thunderstorm
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Frank -

Slide the fly under tension on the bottom's sandy humps and keep it there if you want to hit paydirt. Easier said than done as the current will be ripping into standing waves. Stripping is far less important than keeping the fly out of the mid-depth flow.

Fluid dynamics on a structure like that makes the water slowest at top and bottom, but the fish will be on the bottom in the humps most of the time (although they will get up and break occasionally). The bait is being flushed and the predators will be stationed in the slower water with their bellies rubbing the sand so thats where you need to keep the fly.

A fly with a narrow profile will stay in the zone longer, like a sand eel pattern which also makes a good silverside pattern in seafoam green with complimentary flash materials and plain silver eyes.

High density sinking line and a streamlined fly are the ticket. Be one with the bottom and you will hook up all day.

BTW - I showed the Estey brothers the "Estey swing" at the 1999 Outer Limits Clave on Race Point. I was hooking up one after the other and they were clearly frustrated. Those boys aren't used to being outfished by anyone as they are natural born fishers. I showed them the narrow fly / sinking line swing working the eased bottom current in the longshore flow. They ran back to the car to get what they needed and came back and the three of us were on non-stop. Anyway even I call it the Estey swing now

Then there's walking the dog or scratchin' up a hit and don't make me break out the closer, if you have a good day you will take home the commemorative
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Warren and Juro... the other thing for you guys to do is search back on this forum for the earlier Rip Trips which covers everything...Just plan on bringing the same stuff you would for a full day at North Monomoy or South beach, bring food and water, first aid kit.. sun screen, bug spray (you probably will not need that), maybe a small plastic bag with wrapped TP or Kleenex.....one or two guys usually brings an extra fly rod in the event someone breaks a rod...Walkee-talkees are a good idea so we can communicate with each other on conditions if we split up... I don't wear waders down there simply because I don't like them for walking and you can step out of the water anytime you want.... the wading is just off the beach.... The surf is usually big around the corner of the point but the rip is usually a right to left or left to right water flow of considerable speed depending on the phase of the tides and moon phases.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 AM

Thank you guys...

Great info.,.. most appreciated!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM

I wish I could go but my soccer team has a game that day. I suggest that you also bring a floater and some poppers. I get such a charge having fish blast out of the fast water. Splash splash missed, Splash splash missed, Splash splash missed, splash fish on woo hoo! Good luck.
Larry aka shadfreak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.