Bunker city, silverside strip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bunker city, silverside strip

On time as usual... I recall a bet?

Well dog days are over. During the Newport Jazz Festival the silversides were thickening the water and bunker were prevalent in the area as well. Reefs were hot. Bunker has since invaded all the way to the north shore.

Southside Cape action lit up especially for blues and hardtails making their push now. Bunker are thick up in Boston Harbor as of this date and lots of fish on them.

If the biomass makes their typical push to the north shore and Maine we should be in for a good late fall classic on Cape Ann and search missions on the Cape into early November. I guess it depends on how far they get before they turn around.

My prediction is the most interesting new development this this year will be the bunker blitzes at the new Nauset break and I think it will last until the bait on the north shore pushes by which should be well into late October. The ORV pass is good until next spring so I will def check it out.

(real reason to post this... historical reference for searches later on)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 PM

The Migration is in full swing. Confirmed by kayak at a often overlooked UDL.
When I was getting ready to launch I meet some flyfishermen who informed me that there was a huge "Washboard Blitz occurring and that you'll get them with that." They were referring to my yak.
Well, Lady Luck was with the Bass today. The blitz reminded me of a photo of a blitz on Montauck . There was by my estimation about 1000 bass busting small peanuts. When I paddles through the blitz I could feel the bass bumping the yak. At the risk of giving up the spot they were near the Cape.
I only got one strike because I had trouble controlling the yak while trying to cast.
Ron and Craig save your pennies for a yak. What I saw today will make you forget about SB. No, I'm not going to tell where this was.
FishHawk
Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Middle Aged Member

Seems I saw a post somewhere describing a similar event. Blitzing fish as far as you could see with binocs. Me thinks I might be able to make a good guess.

Vacation coming up and will get some quality fishin time. You guys saying I need somethin other than deep eels.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Funny thing about fish busting on pea bunker...

I will wager a meal at the Squire (restaurant side) that I can catch more total weight of bass with only a deep eel in such a blitz provided the bet-taker fishes a peabunker fly that resembles the individual baitfish.

Matching the hatch can sometimes be the worst approach you can take until the bunker reach a certain size.

And the situation (shallow, deep, current time of day) affects that further still.

Fishhawk... meaning no disrespect are you sure it was kayak control if they were bumping the yak?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Middle Aged Member

I'm a believer.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
I'm a believer.

Well...on the elbow today, the master and I encountered some large singles and schools that could not be force fed. No bunker, but silversides were the du jour. Tough, but encouraging. The bass have definitely put on the feed bag - big bellies.

Albies should be here soon!

Fred, on vacation next week?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

August ? Migration talk?

Imho; this is in no way shape or form the start of any striper migration, It's called taking advantage of extremly large quantities of bait . We've got pb's and silversides on the move doing what they do at this time of year ,stripers and blues follow the schools and wack them along the shore in creeks ,bays ,and river mouths where ever they can trap them. These fish have been here all along, their just making their presents known. Now if this was the end of September I'd agree they were starting to migrate. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Middle Aged Member

Jim, yes I'll be on vacation. Wife has to work wednsday so it would be great to get together with you and frank and chase some fish.

Paul, agreed it's early to talk of migration. At least on the bayside it seems every year mid august into september the fish bunch up where the bait is in a "pre migration" pattern.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Well the second shift bait biomass is moving IN for sure, however I tend to believe like Paul that most of the stripers have been around and aren't leaving for a while. Bayside flats being among the largest inshore flats on the North American continent (far larger than Monomoy) makes sense that the majority of fish just dial in on new arrivals and follow the shoals from Sandwich to Billingsgate to Wellfleet and beyond. I've had screaming days in early November on the bayside around Chase Garden with gannets diving and big bait around, everything all shuttered up for the winter, park anywhere you like and not one boat or angler in sight although I bet Paul was behind a dune so I couldn't see him and FredA already at Marshside eating eggs by the time I got my butt out there. Damn Squire

Clearly some fish, for instance hordes of blues and definitely the hardtails, are migrating TO the area right now with the bait. I suspect some biomass of bass roams the open waters with the bait rather than dial into the patterns of the shallows, definitely the slugs of big bass that are off Stellwagon for instance.

There are many populations of stripers and they are very different in behavior. That being said it seems totally unlikely to me that they would be leaving now, of all times. If anything the roamers are joining the bunker/silverside buffet with a sand eel chaser and there are several courses left to go.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 AM

Juro ,it was controlling the yak while trying to cast in the heavy current. I would take a cast and then try to get out of harms way and had to paddle immediately.
The bumping occurred as I was trying to paddle out of the blitz. My only strike came on the Deep Eel.
Every Aug there is the beginning of the Migration. I'm of the opinion that it has begun. The larger fish will leave a little bit later. FishHawk
Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the explanation, I can see how that would be a problem! I misread your post.

Last two years I have been playing with foam sliders on a fast sinking line during the bunker feast. Good way to put a crease fly down in deeper water when the 3"+ bunker are around too. When you strip they dive, when you stop they rise. Very effective in current and you can really milk the cast with plenty of enticement without a lot of stripping.

I guess you'd still be in a pickle with a fish on, sounds like you had some serious current.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Hey Bill,

further north of you, stripers have been blitzing for well over a week. by all acounts they have been killing them from the shore between here and canal for several weeks - but all small to medium fish.

i don't hear any reports of big fish blitzing in the haba yet, but the smaller one sure are in the rivers and on the 'outside'.

Mark.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Thanks for the explanation, I can see how that would be a problem! I misread your post.

Last two years I have been playing with foam sliders on a fast sinking line during the bunker feast. Good way to put a crease fly down in deeper water when the 3"+ bunker are around too. When you strip they dive, when you stop they rise. Very effective in current and you can really milk the cast with plenty of enticement without a lot of stripping.

I guess you'd still be in a pickle with a fish on, sounds like you had some serious current.
Juro if I'm not mistaken the crease fly was originally designed for use with a fast sinking line, it's deadly on the bigger girls that like to follow the schools pounding the bait top side . Last year we were going to get together and throw the sliders and bullet heads, but we never made it ,lets try it this year.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
The Migration is in full swing. Confirmed by kayak at a often overlooked UDL.
When I was getting ready to launch I meet some flyfishermen who informed me that there was a huge "Washboard Blitz occurring and that you'll get them with that." They were referring to my yak.
Well, Lady Luck was with the Bass today. The blitz reminded me of a photo of a blitz on Montauck . There was by my estimation about 1000 bass busting small peanuts. When I paddles through the blitz I could feel the bass bumping the yak. At the risk of giving up the spot they were near the Cape.
I only got one strike because I had trouble controlling the yak while trying to cast.
Ron and Craig save your pennies for a yak. What I saw today will make you forget about SB. No, I'm not going to tell where this was.
FishHawk
Bill. Sounds like you've gone Yakky! I found fish blitzing from my yak all week thanks to someone (You & Steve) that wrote me to stay put and not leave the area to fish elsewhere. Amazing flats sight fishing on Thursday. Saw fish the entire tide but they where on peanut clouds in one foot of water and very hard to catch. When they left the pods of peanuts they were looking for more pods and would not even look at the fly. We had to cast to a blitzing pod to catech fish. Took over twenty well ,placed shots at big bass heading straight for me with way too many refusals. All of them were very large. A September Night fly was the ticket. Where? I'm not going to tell you. LOL!!! On Wednesday I fished a school of choppers that extended five miles from one UDL into another UDL My brand new Orvis Rod was hand delivered to Orvis Headquarters last night in Vermont for a new replacement TLS. It was a fun road trip. Needed a rest from all the fish. The cork rings on the full wells grip came unglued after fighting all those blues. Chased some bones this AM but no takers. All those fish on Wednesday are nowhere to be found this morning. High Front may be the culprit.

Phil
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Phil , we might just come down to your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.
We will keep our lips sealed on the secret UDL'S. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.