Wish my kid would've come out last night... - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Wish my kid would've come out last night...

Last night I was sitting with my wife at a soccer game and feeling very antsy about getting out on the river, as the recent rains have made it almost impossible to wade, and a swing by the old fishing hole verified that things were finally calming down. Well, my son Shane wanted to watch the rest of the soccer match, so I kissed my wife on her cute little forehead and took off.
The river was extremely high, fast, and clouded, and very difficult to fish, but I managed to get a few "barely legal" smallies and a sunfish. It was a beautiful evening, and I was just enjoying the show that the purple martins were putting on over my head, dive bombing a late hex hatch. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a bit of activity and turned to see a bunch of minnows breaking the surface on the usually non productive shallow side of the river. I waited, and sure enough a minute later another commotion, this time superceded by a large wake.
I quick like bit off my bead head bugger and tied a sneeky pete on in a size 8. I placed a nice 40 footer at about 12 oclock and gave it a couple twitches and was pleasantly rewarded with a huge surface strike. a couple minutes later released the respectable 16" smallie. Well, it just so happened that I noticed two fish going for that cast, so never to be the one to look a gifthorse, I repeated the cast, only to get another huge strike, this time the fish swirled and sucked it straight down...another 5 minute battle, and released another 16 incher. I repeated this several more times, catching and releasing two more nice bass, and all of this action within a half hour! Probably the most fun I've had this summer, and in retrospect it would have been a great night to have gotten my son to go, but it wasn't to be. When I told him about it he was pretty excited so I think next time if it's a choice between watching his big brother play soccer and going fishing he may be taking me up on it!!
Tight lines and good knots!!
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
_

Nice! Smallies are awesome! There are a few places where I fish that have smallmouths, but I haven't found many this year. Definitely one of my favorite species .

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.