Just bought a flyreel...need a rod! (suggestions) - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Just bought a flyreel...need a rod! (suggestions)

Finally got my 13 year old son his own flyreel, an Okuma SLV 5-6 weight. Very nice, affordable reel. stuck it on an old Cortland 6 weight rod, and took him out. The results were not very good. But it's not the fault of the reel, its the rod! The action is way too slow. He is trying to learn to flyfish, and the noodly action on this rod is causing him to struggle so I guess at this point in order to insure that he will enjoy the sport, I better pony up and get him a rod. Any suggestions for a good beginner bass rod for about a C note... I am leaning towards the mid flex Orvis clearwater rods, but would consider other options...or maybe someone has a rod collecting dust that they'd think about parting with...?
Thanks, Bill
PS: is it easier for kids learning to go with a faster action or is mid action (6.5-7.5) good? I think the easier the better for my boy. Remember that he is mainly throwing poppers and bass bugs, wooly buggerts and other warmwater stuff. Thanks for any input you have!
(edited to add the PS>>>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM

ok well geardaddy you have come to the right form. im kinda new so ill help you as much as possible. well hear goes, my first rod was a redington rs2 combo. it was a 5wt i still have that same rod today. and it works great. nice mid action its the rod i use for most of my fishing. I use it to throw mid range flies and also its my trout rod for when i do make the trip to the trout strems. but it will throw your larger wooly buggers and mid sized bass poppers. and I can throw a small decivers and clousers on it. I also have a 7wt rod for when i do make it down to the bass streams and lakes. its a cabelas xst teamed up with there sr real. great combo. very fast action rod. it will throw your bigger bugs and streamers. But what type of bugs were you throwing. I think that either a 5wt or a 6wt will do you fine. anything from redington or temple forks outfiters would be a fine first rod. but dont buy crap either. Just because its a first rod does not mean it should be cheap. if he does manage to break it many rod makers have great warantees and will replace it for very low cost. and it will last him for many years to come. and dont line it cheaply either. you want him to have a good first fishing experience.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sean Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM

In addition to the aforementioned Redding & TFO rods. For $175 you can buy a 6 wt Sage launch which is not a bad rod at all. We had one around here at one time & I liked it.
I echo Darkscopes advise to get a good quality line as well. Since you are looking at Bass & warm water species a Bass bug taper line from Rio, Scientific Anglers or Cortland should do your new rod justice.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 PM

I'll check those brands out...If I can get a quality sage rod for him for under 100$ I would consider that a great deal! I got scientific anglers air cell WF6 and it is a very good mid cost line...I think I paid 27$ for it...at any rate my kid is going to get a much better rod than I learned on!! (Shakespeare fiberglas flyrod and Martin auto retrieve reel.) Its a wonder I stuck with it!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Pullin' Thread

I'd stay with a mid-flex rod for him because my experience over 49 years of fly fishing and 40 years of teaching others how to do it lead me to the conclusion that mid-flex rods help newbies learn to feel the rod load and unload, but not be so slow that it hinders them developing some technique. Redington, TFO, ECHO, Orvis, Okuma (if you can find them), St. Croix, Lamiglass (the G1000, one of my all-time favorite lower priced rods, it has been around for years), higher priced Pfleuger, Bass Pro Shops, Cabella's, and I'm sure some others I've left out all make rods of this type for around $100.00 that are good casting rods.

The SA Air Cell is a good line that back in the 60's and 70's was considered state-of-the-art.

By-the-way, I have fond memories of the old Shakespeare Wonderod Dad gave me for my 9th birthday and that I used from age 9 to age 16 when I bought a Fenwick for myself. The rods with more action than a Hula-Hoop~
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM

exactly!! I think they called it the wonder rod because it was a wonder if you could develop any skill while using it!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Geardaddy,

I pondered your requirements some today, a boy needs a good rod, end of story. I figured I must have a rod I don't need. (I have about 12 or more...read gear junkie )

I went up to the office & rooted around some and sure enough I found a Sage LE 690, two piece six wt. It is the predecessor of the current Launch model. It is a medium action rod & should be perfect for your son to learn on & beyond. I have had it about three or four years now. I bought it new. I'll ship it to you anywhere in the USA for a C-note.
It is in like new condition with a cordura rod tube, Of course, the cork is a little fish stained

I very rarely use it anymore as I have a bunch of fast action rods that I have grown accustomed to.

I'll look around I may even have a decent line or two can send with it to sweeten the deal.

If you are interested send me a PM or email w_jones@conknet.com
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Wonder Rod

Whoa here; don't get too down on Wonder Rods. I still have a 6'6" for an HEH that I bought in 1958. It was my first rod buy over $15! At the time it was supposedly the only production rod weighing two ounces. It was and still actually is a pretty sweet little rod.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Geardaddy,

I pondered your requirements some today, a boy needs a good rod, end of story. I figured I must have a rod I don't need. (I have about 12 or more...read gear junkie )

I went up to the office & rooted around some and sure enough I found a Sage LE 690, two piece six wt. It is the predecessor of the current Launch model. It is a medium action rod & should be perfect for your son to learn on & beyond. I have had it about three or four years now. I bought it new. I'll ship it to you anywhere in the USA for a C-note.
It is in like new condition with a cordura rod tube, Of course, the cork is a little fish stained

I very rarely use it anymore as I have a bunch of fast action rods that I have grown accustomed to.

I'll look around I may even have a decent line or two can send with it to sweeten the deal.

If you are interested send me a PM or email w_jones@conknet.com
I pm'd you!
As for the nostalgic value of that wonderrod it is an icon of 60's flyfishing...I bet every guy with a cabin on a river in north america has one sitting in the closet. But you gotta admit the science has come a little ways since then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.