Schooled, owned by big pike 8/25/07 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 AM
_

Schooled, owned by big pike 8/25/07

The action on the river has been pretty slow for me lately, and yesterday was no exception. I casted and sweltered and casted and sweltered some more, with only one bluegill and one small pike landed after several hours. Saw a few largemouths but didn't get any to hit. When I was about halfway back to the launch site I made another cast to a likely-looking spot under tree that leans out from the river bank. On the second or third strip, a large pike hammered my foam-head diver and soared horizontally above the water, with it's entire body about a foot or so above the water, before plunging back into the river . The pike wanted to keep the battle short and charged across the river and under some submerged branches. I could see the silt swirling up from the bottom where the pike was thrashing about, but I couldn't budge the line and I didn't want to re-enact the scene where I broke my rod earlier this year . I tried putting the rod down and pulling the on the line between the rod and the fish but still couldn't move the fish. By that time I had pulled the boat over to the fish and didn't think I would be successful in trying to pull straight up, so I repositioned the boat so I could pull from the same direction that the pike went under the branches and tried again. I couldn't feel any real movement on the other end of the line, but if I allowed some slack in the line it did move slowly towards the branches so I figured the fish was still there but the leader was wrapped around a branch. I didn't want to give the fish the opportunity to get the fly line wrapped on the branch so I pulled (with my rod straight!) until the leader snapped -- right at the point where there was an overhand knot that had been in the leader for several fishing trips and I was too lazy to tie up a new leader/tippet . I got schooled and my fly is now owned by that pike .

I got a good look at the pike when it hit the fly, and I know for sure that it was the biggest pike I've ever hooked. The body looked to be at least 5" from top to bottom, and when I look at my yardstick I'm pretty sure that the fish was longer.

Q
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
troutbum..

I hate loosing flies in fish.. It's somewhat of a loose loose at that point.. go catch him again!! you need to get that bug back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimflo.
I hate loosing flies in fish.. It's somewhat of a loose loose at that point.. go catch him again!! you need to get that bug back
yeah, but much better to have fought, and lost, than to not have fought at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.