Boneclave- Group Trip Details Sep 23-25 2007 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Boneclave- Group Trip Details Sep 23-25 2007

MAKE THAT SEPT 23-25

Once again we are having our awesome group outing to Washburn Island in Mashpee Cape Cod. We reserved the group site #9 for Sun and Mon nights Sep 23 and 24 for up to 3 days of fishing (if you can squeeze a day or 2 off from work-or just fish Sunday). Come and chase Bonito/Albies/Spanish Macs in Vineyard sound with us and enjoy the great camp food, laughs, and stories.

Check back to this thread to find out if we need you to bring anything or not bring anything. You can respond here to let us know if you want to hop on board for the trip. There will be a gear list and boating directions evolving here. If we are light on boats we will try to get everyone over to the camp and over to the "Wacky jetty" where anything can happen fishwise. We have extensive experience on what to bring and how to prepare for the island etc.-Just ask. Let see what we can put together.

Lefty

So far:

Lefty- small boat, gas stove, propane tree, 25 lb tank, lantern, cook table
JimW- boat
Juro- tables,cooler, lantern, small gas grill, kitchen cleaning supplies
Mike Z
Fred A
Greg D- boat
Jfbasser
Shadfreak
vtloon
Bigcat
Quentin- small boat
PopnesetBay
Hawkeye
bonefishmon
Sean- possible

BOATING DETAILS

We anchor our boats right out in front of the camp site off the beach. There will be smaller boats pulled up on shore which you can use as a dingy to get out there. This is inside a quiet bay, not open ocean. So the mooring is easy and little wave action.
The Ramp is called White's Landing on the Childs river. There is a parking lot set aside for all the overnight parking of vehicles for the island campers. Multiple trucks and trailors will be parked there. Many of us will meet there at dawn on Sunday morning, proceed to the island, do a temporary dumping of gear, then head out to fish.

Driving Directions to Ramp:
From the Sagamore Bridge (Cape Cod Canal) proceed toward Hyannis on Route 6 to exit 2 - Route 130. Follow Route 130 toward Mashpee for 7.2 miles and bear right on Great Neck Road just after the Flume Restaurant. Continue to the Mashpee Rotary. Halfway around the rotary take Route 28 toward Falmouth. Reserve Headquarters is located on the left 3.5 miles from the rotary and White’s Landing is located 0.4 miles beyond the Headquarters, also on the left.

Again more info at: http://www.waquoitbayreserve.org/camp.htm

Last edited by Lefty; 08-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
_

I'm planning to bring my little boat, which will get me and my gear to/from the island. I can also take one passenger on trips between the campsite and jetty.

Can't bring any extra gear or water for the group due to weight limitations, but I will bring a contribution for the group dinner.

Q
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM

I should be good for the Sunday for sure,I will have the boat and can take two anglers
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
fish'n Hobo

Hi Guys
Is there a place to dock, anchor or beach a 21 foot boat near the camp site?
Also what is the closest place to launch boat and leave truck & trailer?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM

Boating Details

Boating info moved to top of thread.

Last edited by Lefty; 08-22-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
fish'n Hobo

Thanks lefty!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Jehu Boat Ramp

Hi Guys,

Jehu ramp was another option though I'm not sure it still is.

I was wondering if the rumors of the Jehu ramp being closed to public access are true. I know if I bring the Scarab down it's too long for the ramp at Whites on the Child river. I'll need to find another spot to launch from and Jehu comes to mind.

Any info on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Greg, I called the town hall - you can launch from that ramp without a sticker but parking will be sketchy. Best bet would be to coordinate with one of the riders who could drive your rig back to the White's landing lot while you haul a load of gear / riders over. Don't blame you for not wanting to put in at Whites but I was amazed the size of some the crusiers that where set afloat there albeit not easily.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jim,

Thanks for checking on that for me. The boat is 34-35ft bow to prop, the trailer is about 40ft long. I can't see being able to make the turn to drop it in the water at childs. Even if I back it down to the ramp. It's enough of a challenge with the sea-ox.

I'm not too sure many guys can drive either rig comfortable enough for me. The truck and trailer is alot like driving a semi I'm afraid. Not an easy task on most town roads for turns.

I'll work it out somehow, possibly put in up the cape at a better sized ramp and run it down, if there is no parking at Jehu.

It won't take very long once I get moving

Perhaps I can check with one of the group if anyone plans to use the Jehu ramp and see if theres any room along side the road, id' need about 60 feet at least to park track and trailer.

food for thought.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Jonesin...

Greg,

I think we need to see some pics of this new rig in the Propwash forum!

Sean
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Ah jeez I screwed up the date at the head of the thread. Can we get an Admin to change the Thread label to read "Boneclave- Group Trip Details Sep 23-25 2007".

Thank you
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
Ah jeez I screwed up the date at the head of the thread. Can we get an Admin to change the Thread label to read "Boneclave- Group Trip Details Sep 23-25 2007".

Thank you
All set. I may be able to make a Sunday trip or longer but I will be tentative until we get much closer.

Sean
Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Yeah, that's a huge rig, Maybe run up from Green pond or Falmouth.
I could always drive the scarab over for you

I'm burning ~10 gallons per hour at a 26mph cruising speed loaded with gear and 80 gallons of fuel Unfortunately my boat is a tad under powered with the 115hp, so running and gunning just eats the gas.

So with the twins - What are you burning 30gph?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure your not the only one that would like to take it for a blast.

Gas consumption is obviously more with the twins, depends where you run it on the RPM's But your guess is a pretty good one. I usually run alittle slower to conserve gas, it's still quite fast at around 3500-4000 rpm. If I run it about 500rpm off the top end it's flying and burning alot more gas. Someday I plan on swapping out the motors for direct injection motors, that will drop fuel consumption by a whopping 2/3rds. But I have to pay it off before I start dreaming about direct injection motors.

These motors have around 150 hours so they are just broken in. I can still see shining metal on the piston tops when looking in the spark plug hole. It wasn't used much.

Sean - Yes I suppose I should put some photo's up on the forum sometime. I'm sure we will get some shots of it at the clave if I get everything worked out and my truck tranny doesn't give out on the way down. It hasn't been quite the same since pulling it up from Florida.

Greg.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 PM

logistics

I will bring:
16 ft Lund & mooring tackle
Tent & sleeping pads for a 60 yr old bod
A fish pole or two
Some Vermont beer
Carton of contractor size trash bags

Could bring:
Large Cooler
small gas grill or cook-stove
The rest, I'll wait to see a need list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.