Best time to fish? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Best time to fish?

Not talking about dawns, dusk or all night flings. Not talking about the pat answer - any time. More like what you find personally challenging and rewarding about certain types of fishing or scenarios.

I like chasing stripers, but there is a certain time of the season that I like best. The abundance of stripers in the spring is well received, especially after a long winter. But juvenile stripers are numerous and easy to catch. Large bluefish fight the best, but it doesnít take much to fool one.
My pleasure is trying to entice a larger striper to hit a fly. So the best time I enjoy is the fall along the ocean coast. Away from smaller fish, the level of expertise rises to catch a trophy bass. More time is spent on recon; more patienceís is required, much more down time of solitude. But catching a huge striper if it happens is a major rush. Spring was like a god send with major size bait in RI, so it was much easier with many more large fish around. But Iím not complaining about that.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 AM

If I were to be stuck in a "Groundhog Day" scenario where times stands still, I'd want it to be early to mid september. My favorite time for any and all outdoor recreation be it fishing, hunting, birding etc. All the critters respond to those shorter cooler nights with bright blue sky summer warm days. Even the air itself smells, looks and feels cleaner, more satisfying.
For time of day it would be the time from just before first light to when the sun first peaks above the horizen. No matter whether I'm climbing a mountain or a jetty, chasing birds with gun and dog or camera and binoculars, angling the salt or the fresh, that's the time of day I love the most. Sure we all know the fish bite better, the birds hold the cover better etc. To me it'smore than that. There's a sight, sound and smell that just turns me I. I feel more alive, more like I am where I belong.
Damn, I wish I could take the whole month of September off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM

I'm limited in my options for a reply....
but it goes something like this.....
ANY TIME I GET OUT TO THE CAPE & RI AREA!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Re French Creeks Response

Funny, one of my top times would be any time I can get on the Bow River just above Carlsburg Weir in the evening.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
_

Non-holiday weekdays when school is in session .

Q
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 AM

Anytime I can hook up with the usual suspects....er.... I mean forum members that hang out on the cape.

Although I like fishing for trout quite a bit, striper fishing has it's own magic for lack of a better term. Boat fishing is cool but wading the flats is challenging & just plain fun. What better way to be frustrated by fussy bass & at the same time while away an afternoon
Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sight fishing does it for me... whether for bonefish or Cape stripers. I like them finicky too, all the more satisfying when I solve the puzzle. Beyond salt - wild steelhead in the pacific northwest or the atlantic salmon fisheries worldwide
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 08-21-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Flats Rat

July and August "dog days" have produced some memorable nights. Around the second moon of August, when major bait migrations start to leave the salt ponds and the sound of rising fish comes through the darkness like heavy rainfall, the fish can be some of the pickiest of the year. But when they do hit, it's like hooking a freight train

Fishing a good surf with plenty of white water under a leaden sky has also produced some memorable fish and bruised knuckles.

Fall fishing can be challenging at times, but the prize is that much sweeter when those 'easy' springtime fish have become 'educated', put on pounds and gained fighting condition.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Well , I like all of it. Spring is special because after a long Winter it's nice to feel the pull of a schoolie. Wonderful , Spring is here.
Perhaps , for me times spent alone with a barren beach is a great time. You don't get this chance very often . But on my vacation this August I had such an experience . Fishing was rather slow , no one around and the fish started hitting on the incoming. I had the place all to myself. You don't get a chance like this that often.
Then I like fishing with my Forum Brothers. Lots of fun. Life is about the friends you meet along the way. Great time , great bunch of guys. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.