toobies shot and other non toxic alternatives - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM

toobies shot and other non toxic alternatives

Hey guys I got a quick question for all of you. and hopefully im not putting this in the wrong place. But a few years back when i got into fly fishing Toobies shot had just been released. So I bought into it because i red the little add about it and thought it was just the cats meow. well here i am about 2 years later and I hate the stuff. so I have a quick question for you Does anyone actualy like this stuff? and I was just wondering if you could tell me about any other non toxic alternatives. Yes I know about the tin shot. And it is far better than lead But it still contains toxins that are harmfull to our envirnment. so I was wondering if anyone knows if maby they have made a tungston split shot or something? Or has anyone tried the tungston puddies? Im a suspicious of them. Not that I Think they are harmfull for the envirnment but I think they will either slip off the leader or slide around (not like the toobies shot dident do that anyways!) but any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreceated.

THANKS
Sean Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM

I have tried the sink putty and while it sinks like a stone, it does leave a residue on your tippett and all over your hands - I did not like it, especially if you want to switch to dries or handle small flies. I don't think split shot is something that can be improved upon but the industry will continue to try (LED, toobies, etc).
Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
J. Marcus

I actually like the tungsten paste. One of the secrets to keeping it off of the fingers is to moisten your fingers lightly with saliva before you mess with it. It sinks like a rock and I find that I loose more split shot off my line than I do the paste. To get the residue off of your line you can rub it with a bit of dry cloth. Detergent works OK also.

J. Marcus
Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 PM

I like the tungsten putty as well. When it is not too ho tor too cold, it can work well in a pinch. But I always carry splitshot just in case. There are all kinds of brands and some work better than others and sometimes they switch formulas...

toobies seem like a lot of work. I hate fishing with weights and indicators but sometimes I would rather catch fish than not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.