Matane Update - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Matane Update

Water conditions......dropping but still good with very cold temps for August. Fished on Monday with no results. Some say the water temps are too cold, especially for early morning fishing. That confuses me as I always thought fish take better in the colder water. The same guys say that one should start fishing at around 9 or 10 when water warms slightly. They also have been talking about the cold temps making dry fly fishing impossible.....only wets if anything. Who knows.

Over 2000 fish have entered this season so far with 30 - 100 fresh fish per day still coming in. I will give it a go a little later this morning, as it is too cold for this fisherman early this morning.....forget about how the fish feel....
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM

Hi Howie, I ve been there Saturday and Sunday with a good success. Fish are sparse everywhere for anglers who want to go out of the major pool. And finaly, it seems Matane has an interesting run of grilse. At this speed, we could see a season with 2500-2600 fish this year, with a very very good level of MSW.

Regarding the cold water in the morning, I would say it is more the difference between the cold weather and the water. Sunday, water was at 52-53 F, which is perfect, but with outside temperature at 46 F (what a cold front we had!!!), it was almost impossible to rise a fish before 11:00 (in fact, only few fish were caught soon ine the morning, the balance were all around 11:00-12:00 and in the evening). With september coming, it is true that fishing is usualy improve with the weather warming, but only after cold night. Friday night was not that cold and it was good as soon than 6:00 am on Saturday. It begins to look like fall!!!

Other thing, at this time of the year, you will gradualy see 75% of the daily activity concentrated in the last 1/2 hour of the day, until mid-september or another good shot of water!!!

Action this week end were all on Spey flies accelerated by stripping the line.

Last edited by Salar36; 08-22-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Howie, hope you caught a couple today. I have some questions about the Metropole salmon run numbers that I hope you can answer for me. As of 8/21, the run is listed as 2191 and the killed salmon as 707. If 707 were captured, it probably means at least 1000 were hooked. The Matane salmon must be really good "takers". Does the 2191 include the salmon caught below the dam? Also how many salmon have been landed below the dam?

Earle
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Earle,

The number of fish caught reflect the fish caught upper and lower the dam. For the total number of fish who came in the river , we should add the number passed over the dam and the fish caught lower the dam. This season, you may figure around 100 to 125 fish caught bellow the dam, for the exact number, we could call Sogerm.

The usual rate of fish caught on the Matane is always in the range of 35%. Now, if we consider the % of fish hooked, it is probably more than 70% (in fact maybe a bit lower since some fish will be hooked more than 1 time) !!! But it is not different elsewhere (and in fact probably higher), I would say if you look for all anglers, the average % of fish landed on the number of fish hooked is lower than 50%! If we could have accurate measure of fish in each river counted with a fishway and the total fish hooked, I am sure we would be very surprise about the number!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Venture

Fishing yesterday was slow for me. Started at 9:30am. The sun was high, air temps were higher than normal after a very cold night, and the water is still at decent levels yet dropping. Fished one of my favorite spots (took three there in July), but no takers. Fished down river for the fresh fish that recently entered....no lookers.

After lunch, crossed the river from my chalet to Lebreau, a very popular pool that I don't fish often because there is usually too many fisherman there. But because it was mid day there was no one fishing. The pool was filled with fish....especially in the middle. Saw a pod of at least 10 salmon resting.....a few grilse, but mostly salmon, with a few being in the 20s. Fished with very small wets with no success. Also fished them with riffling hitch. Put a dry on an rose one good one to the surface hard, but did not take the fly...

Then a guy appeared from no-where and got into the pool and spooked all the fish. His casting was pathetic and slapped the water continuously. He then actually waded deep into the river right on top of the pod of fish because he thought he saw a big one he saw across the river. He then turned to me and yelled that there was a big fish across the river. He did not see the fish right in front of him....thus spooking them badly. They all disappeared quickly. That was it for me at Lebreau.

Took it easy from then on and fished some of the secondary water near my chalet with no success. I am waiting for my friend David Bishop to come and stay at our Chalet on Saturday before I try again. Its David's first trip to the Matane. We are supposed to get some rain on Friday so perhaps it will be good timing for David and I to fish together.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Venture

Got a nice buck this morning of 12 pounds. Took a #12 wet on my first drift down the pool. It is raining now.....and looks like the fishing will improve over the next few days......
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Venture

Loomis Trilogy

Got another fish yesterday of 10 pounds. Took a very small fly just at dusk. Was fishing a 6 weight 10 foot Loomis Trilogy which broke in half during the fight. Landed the fish on half a rod.

It was my first decent fish on that rod, as I purchased it used last year, yet the rod was in brand new condition. The rod just split laterally down the blank folding the rod up. Anyone else have this problem with Loomis? They will be getting this rod back for replacement.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM

I have a Trilogy for line 5 that I use sometime with low water, small rivers, but all my other rods are G. Loomis (GLX Native Run and GLX Cross Curent), and I never had this problem.

I don't think the Trilogy is still available, they might change it for a Streamdance.

It was nice to meet you and David saturday. The young guy I was coaching lost 2 salmons at night, 1 over 20 pounds, and I caught and lost a grilse very very near of your chalet, a bit upriver
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Venture

Hi Pierre. I think your right about the Trilogy not being produced any longer. It was a 10 foot / 6 weight. I liked the long rod. Do you have any suggestions regarding what I should request for a replacement?

I was being very gentle with the fish while playing it as I tied the knot to the fly almost in the dark. The rod broke under very little pressure.

Good to hear you and your young companion had success. David and I also had some action. He raised a few and I got lucky. It was his first time here and I think he will be back for sure.... He's back on the Petite today guiding his father. He will probably return next week. WE enjoy spending time with our new friend.

Gonna wait till tomorrow or Thursday to wet a line again. Its supposed to rain tomorrow.....which should shake things up a bit.... Great seeing you.......stop in any time.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Howie,

In the same kind of rod, I would suggest a G. Loomis Streamdance 10 feet line 6. A bit stronger, I have a GLX Native Run 9' 1/2" for line 7 (4 sections) which is a jewel. Use it with an Air Flo Ridgeline Distance, you will love it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Venture

Pierre,

We will see how good Loomis is with rod repair or replacement. I have had good service with Sage, Lamson and Orvis, but never had this situation occur with Loomis... I will let you know. Thanks for the rod suggestion......we will see how far that goes with Loomis.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Venture

Follow-up: Loomis Makes Good

OK. Here's the story. I purchased a used Trilogy 10' 6W from Richard at the Campsite Fly Shop in Huntington NY. I was sold it with the verbal guarenttee that the rod was fully guarenteed by Loomis.

Took it back to the shop after it folded up on a fish with the blank splitting laterally. No problem. G.Loomis is replacing it with no charge for a brand new Streamdance GLX 10' 6W. Rich said that if I asked specifically for a Native Run it may cause complications. The Streamdance GLX is slightly lighter than the Native run and made for big water trout. Should be a nice light weight rod for small water salmon. So Loomis and the Campsite made good on their promise. If I break it on another fish then is when I'll get opt for the Native Run.

Also snapped a Sage while stringing the line......really stupid, especially because I was up ln the Park.....a long way away from a replacement. Sage had no problem either and is giving me a new section......

Last edited by Venture; 09-14-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
thread killer

Hello Venture

Thanks for posting the outcome re the Loomis. Nice to know who's got your back.

Tough 'break' with the Sage. I pulled a clumsy not long ago with a digital camera, not a good feeling.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

SG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.