Next Rip Trip - Saturday, Aug. 18 and/or 19 ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:53 PM
President of CAC

Next Rip Trip - Saturday, Aug. 18 and/or 19 ?

Spoke to Ed today. Keith will call me tonight with a MUNG report. If he sees none (and will continue to check up till we go) lets have another for this Saturday or Sunday. Any number can sign up... Or a weekday next week...or both. Lets start with the weekend....sign up here and I will get the first MUNG report this evening and post the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 PM

HI John
I can go any of the following days 19, 20, 21, 25, 26. If one of these is going to be a trip sign me up.
Larry
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
6th Year Apprentice

sorry, I can't make this weekend at all.

if there is still some mung around, i was thinking that a popper or slider with a weed guard might do the trick if cast between the weed patches ?

Mark.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
President of CAC

Mark, good point, I think if there is any mung around we will not go, and schedule for the week after, If we have numbers we can do it during the week... we shall see.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
resigned

John. Perhaps it would be beneficial to pick the day based on lenght of time available to fish the entire incoming tide? The mung may be there at dead low and clear out an hour or so into the incoming. On the 11th (last trip) the low occured around 5am and fishing started, I'm guessing, around 7.45am and stayed good for about two hours? Does any of this make sense? I know weather plays a BIG part in this. What weather pattern tends to blow the mung away from the rip? Wind was out of the north west on the last trip. Maybe a SW would help keep it off the shoreline?

As an example, Wednesday the 29th has a 7am low in the event the dreaded mung is still around.

Phil
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM

I cannot make it this Weekend( trout fishing) or Next, I have an event in town here I am involved with. I might be able to slip out mid week, but only if my work schedule gets messed up somehow.

I'll keep an eye on things here, you never know, I may decide to come down on a moments notice
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
President of CAC

I have not heard back from Keith Yet, but will speak with him tomorrow. We were catching fish on the incoming but it has always been the outgoing which is what we shoot for. But working both tides is something that we can do. For example, if there had been no mung our day could have been much better since we were in the time frame of the outgoing as well. In order to pull these off , and since we are there all day, we need to pick meaningful dates to get numbers. I had thought that by scheduling "several" trips we can minimize the cancellations because of weather, etc. With the new boat, there is still the matter of a strong south west wind, like today, where he did not go out for beach drops and only did seal trips. If we can not get numbers for Saturday we can try during the week. Naturally, I do not know about numbers until I post...so...scheduling several in close proximity seems to be the way to go. We are looking to September as well, but there are still three more weekends (plus numerous weekdays if people can get out of work, etc) though labor day and as the weather and water cool...the mung goes. To plan a trip around the arrival or departure of mung on a specific day, just gives us a small window and we should be looking at full days of mung free casting.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

I'll stay tuned on dates. The next two weekends are out due to sailing races, but the weekdays could work (myself & possibly one other). Warren I'll let you know if I'm going to be driving by.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 AM

Sounds good Loon, The ride is much shorter with company.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 AM

My suggestion would be to shoot for Sept. A lot of people are trying to get in the last fling of Summer in the next few weeks. Sept . with it's cool crisp weather and lack of people seems ideal for us. Perhaps we might get lucky and get some Albies in the mix. There is one problem with Sept. and that is the weather as usual but the Tropical storms start heading up the coast. In fact there are a couple of them brewing as I post this.
FishHawk.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM
President of CAC

Bill, I could not agree more with you, but let's see what happens, and, as you know we will do September anyway. I called Ed this morning and he indicated that keith will call me today after a few checks during several tide changes as he motors by during the seal cruises. But here is what Ed told me. There is a group of birders going down. Keith would drop off the birders then us, but we don't need 10... all we will need is a number less than 10. Ed said that he will need to reclear with Keith the number he is willing to take, he could go with one, which would be me if there is no mung....or 4 guys...or6 . etc...ALL for only $30 ....no paying any difference with the usual $300....he can justify this because he needs to make the trip anyway with the birders... he needs to know how many since he needs to call the birders to let them know they will have company going down. But I still need to wait on the exact number he is willing to do, or rather the exact minimum . If this worked out and birders go down quite a bit we might have a better window and better cost and not be locked into a certain number going down...this is good. more later....If there is no mung, I might have the rip to myself this Saturday. By the way Where is Juro???? still down at the Newport Jazz fest?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Brother John -

I just got in late last night from Detroit, which I stumbled onto a flight to get there very early monday after the weekend in Newport which came after the red-eye all night flight from a week and a half in Seattle. The week before I was in Ft.Myers.

I have been checking in now and then from various locations but sporadically at best.

Anyway... it's so funny I was reading your post thinking hmmm... maybe not just you and you asked where the hell I was! HAHA

Let me see if this is going to work out... talk soon buddy
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Middle Aged Member

Looks like I can make Saturday if this goes off.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Local Boob

I can go either Saturday or Sunday...hopefully see you then.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
President of CAC

I just spoke to keith and he could not get close enough today to check mung but will try again tomorrow and radio some Captains he knows. Also, I am going to SB tomorrow and will check the ocean side...the temps tomorrow are suppose to be in the 70's as is Saturday. My middle son will come with me as well.... so lets give it till the end of the day tomorrow. Keith says that the birders are going as well as a couple other hikers so the cost for us is $30 regardless of the numbers... I told him I had myself, my son, Fred and Sean Juan so far...with the possibility of Juro and Fish Hawk if I can get him away from Yaking Stay tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.