August Gaspe Water Levels - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
August Gaspe Water Levels

This is quite an interesting year. Many rivers had poor runs, some rivers had good runs. All this is due to many theories......but hopefully it's just caused by cycles and not huge declines in specific river stocks.

What also is very interesting is the water levels, as the Gaspe has been rained on all through the season......making for high and cooler water conditions going into mid August. Last year was the exact opposite.

When and IF the water levels subside, some of these rivers maybe producing very impressive catches because some of these rivers are filled with fish. Normally these late season pools are heavily populated with fish, but the low and warm water conditions make for frustrating days. It could be very different this year......
Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 PM

I'd like to know which rivers actually have good numbers of fish out there. I was hoping to do another trip out there this fall after a lousy (great fishing, lousy catching) June trip. Every report for many different rivers that's come my way has been very negative...

Hopefully the water does drop enough to get some good Sept fishing in. Sadly, a sign of how high that water is, is that a close friend of mine recently returned from the Petite Cascapedia and relayed this new to me: A rookie angler (a complete stranger) that he spent some time with and gave some tips to, waded out too far and drowned a few minutes after my friend left him alone at Arthur's Rock. Normally in August, I can't imagine the possibility of that happening on that particular river.

Last edited by Fontinalis; 08-11-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Venture

That is a terrible story. I fished the Petite this year and know that the river can be dangerous for the novice especially in high water. I am sorry to hear of this tragedy.

Regarding your question.......the Matane has had a good run of fish this year. Perhaps the Ramouski, St Anne, and the Petite also had decent runs. My camp is on the Matane. And I just got word that the water levels are dropping there and a friend of mine and his father each caught a fish this morning. We are going back up this week and staying through the first week and a half of September.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Good Day Gentlemen.

Yes, I must say, we are having quite a season!!
Heavy rain fall rose all three rivers 4-5 feet!! Some needed it, some didn't.

The York river has dropped over 2 ft since the storm and is clearly up.
Tea color, but I was standing on the Baillargeon bridge this morning, and could easily see the bottom at some places....should offer great fishing in a few days.

There are anglers fishing Sector 9 today.... ( i wouldn't mind throwing a fly at Keg today!!
High water like early June for the moment!

The Dartmouth was raging and will not be accessible until early next week, due to a bridge on the main road that was washed away. It's also dropping, and clearing up. We'll keep you posted once we can access the road...
As fast as it rises, it tends to drop faster than the York & St-Jean..... we'll let you know when things are back to normal.

The St-Jean went sky high too....... it has dropped considerably since the storm.
We'll be fishing the St-Jean later next week....

To assure our clients' safety, we cancelled our weekend fishing, to give time for each river to drop and clear up.
We will be back on the waters Tuesday....

Right now we are scouting the pools and looking for the new "hot Spots"!

Safe fishing,

Ann
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Hi Ann, Jim Corrigan here. I've seen a few recent pictures of your three rivers - the water levels are amazing for this time of year.

More flood pictures are always welcome. It's always a kick to see familiar pools in very high water.

Which bridge went out on the Dartmouth road? Was it the one just above Fortin Pool?

I cannot imagine the amount of water that it would take to push any bridge on the Dartmouth road off its base.

Thanks again for the watery update ... all those folks that booked mid-late August trips should be feeling pretty good.

Jim
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Hi Jim,

It's the bridge at Petite Fouche....you know, that wooden bridge just before " Les Chalets Dartmouth" ... (on the paved road).

I spoke with a guardian, he drove to Moose and all, on his bike....
all other bridges seem fine. It appears they will install some type of Army bridge for the moment, since there are residents stuck on the other side, and we also want to go fishing, n'est pas???!!

I will be taking pics tomorrow......

A..
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM

The great benefit to these heavy rain events is it will wash away the silt that has accumulated in some pools.

GSB
Old 08-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Venture

Unless we get another big storm soon, the water levels will continue to drop and make for good fishing next week. Without making light of the property damage and the drowning mentioned, high water normally leads to more good fishing while low water does not. Some rivers this year should be very interesting with this "reversed condition" season, which by the way lasts through middle to the end of September.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Dear Mr. GSB.

"The great benefit to these heavy rain events is it will wash away the silt that has accumulated in some pools. "

Unfortunately, this much water will deposit those silts into other pools downstream, It will also likely move a good deal of gravel from one place to another. Possibly disrupting some good spawning gravel beds. It may be changing pools and some of the salmon lies also.

A huge benefit for the fishermen is that it will distribute the fish throughout the pools for the next couple weeks.

One thing for sure, even with modern controls, replacement with a permanent bridge is certain to cause silt in the pools below the construction area. Subsequent rains during this bridge construction will undoubtedly turn the water brown from this point downstream, I HOPE THEY MAKE A PERMANENT REPAIR IN THE OFF SEASON. (not that I would want to do construction work in the winter!)Some good pools are below there.

This bridge was probably in need of replacement anyway, and the corner and hill it is on was treacherous. If they have to straighten the section of road there at all, there is sure to be property losses and you guessed it---- More SILT. I hope it all goes well!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Green Ghost

Back in 1996 the Gaspe had some heavy rain events in August and a large amount of silt that had built up in some river systems over the years was washed out. That's a fact not fiction! It's nature's way of repairing things. I understand your position though. As Salmon Anglers we always assume the worst.

GSB

Last edited by GaspeSalmonBum; 08-12-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Well, I really wasn't assuming the worst, I was definitely trying to encourage CARE in the re-construction of the bridge that will ensue. You also may recall the MAJOR flood that changed the dartmouth lower pools forever. I agree it is natures way. Incidently, my degree and profession are in Hydrogeology. cool: .

That sediment load from the flood could even plug the channel in the estuary!! (that is assuming the worst). Have you noticed the sandbar at low tide below the 132 bridge? OR the deadness in the Pool below the Bouchard bridge? I hope that this latest flood actually IMPROVES the Lower pools!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaspeSalmonBum
The great benefit to these heavy rain events is it will wash away the silt that has accumulated in some pools.

GSB
But with the level reached on the Dartmotuh, it may also have washed all the parr in the river, as it happened in Saguenay 10 years ago...they are still on recovery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.