Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone up for a pre-clave scout?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  JimW 
G
#1 ·
I'm heading down to Rhody tomorrow (Friday). Anyone want to join me? I plan on getting on the road from the Lakeville, MA area at approximately 4:30 AM. First stop, West Wall. (Can someone refresh my memory as to how to get there??) After that, it's on to Weekapaug and Napatree.

Al

#2 ·
Al,
Once you get down on the coastal Rte. 1 take the Succotash Rd. exit to Jeruselam. The road swings around to the left as you pass the Beach parking lot. Then you come to a little rotary. To the left are parking spaces. Grab one then walk down that private road to the beach side of the rotary.
Bang you're there.

TerryW

#4 ·
Al:

I have been fishing Rhody for most of September and it was on fire to say the least. Many, many hook-ups with Albies and many landed....it has quieted down lately, but that does not mean it can not ignite at a moments notice....The wall is definitly a high tide spot (although first light,any tide, can be good) and it looks like it is going to be high around 1:45pm on Friday. Use a sinking line and any type of white deceiver/silverside pattern. I might be in Rhody on Saturday or I might hook up with you guys wherever that may be.......call me if you want more info.

John

G
#5 ·
Thanks again, Terry.

Thanks for the tide info, John. Looks like I may reverse my game plan and fish the incoming at Napatree first.... Then again, I may throw caution to the wind and bring down my 14' boat and see for myself what the situation is at Stonington. Anyone have thoughts on the wisdom of doing this?

Al

p.s. you'd think after 30 odd years of trying, I'd learn how to spell ;)

#6 ·
Stonington to Napatree is a breeze as long as the current, fog or rocks (bouys) are visible. Don't get tempted by the sirens of the reef, lines of boats with rods bent like a super long Succonesset in a miles-long straight line.

The inside (east) toward Watch Hill cove (base of Napatree) should be cake too.

Maybe Art's son could tell you better?

#9 ·
Hi Al,

If youre fishing the West Wall , you might be a mile or so away from the action. Keep your eyes open. Bring small silverside clouser flies about 2in. long for the albies, doubt you will get them from shore :(

bring half and halfs for the BIG stripers

best,

G
#12 ·
I hooked up just after Tim St. had to depart for work on a bunker-like fly.

Here's the story.....I was casting poorly today and really feeling bad about it and not paying attention to how I was fishing. John wanted to help me work through it, and he did. He also gave me the fly of the day. Karma returns.

Most of my casting troubles were stemming from throwing the QD line from the Jetty. Maybe it's the weight of the line but that always seems to throw me off...just can't get the timing right.... Anyway, I moved over to a type II shooting head and started doing a little better. About ten casts after the change, I'm finally fishing with full contact on the fly. Then I feel a little tickle at the end of my line. I set the hook and YES! I'm on, but my god what a puny little striper, I think to myself..... I start to strip it in.... and it starts to really fight. Ok, small blue I'm thinking to myself. NOT! Two huge runs later, I'm staring at a 7 lb. albie that nearly spooled me on that Cabelas large arbor reel I posted about a few months ago, the one with 150' of flyline and 200 yards of backing (Ok. so maybe I had the drag too loose ;)... in short, an wesome fight - weaker than I had imagined it, but awesome nevertheless.

Many, many thanks to John Middelton who ties a mean ________
(I like Ruben's words about leading you by the hand
)

On to Chatham!!

Al

#13 ·
Al:

You have to let me tell the story from what I saw !.....We got to the Wall and walked out around 6'ish.....I was already near the channel and had hooked a few shad. The darn things swallowed two flies on me !! Around 7:00am, the fish started to show and where breaking up and down the wall. Unfortunately, they where not pods but 2 or 3 fish and many times, just one (or so it seemed). The fish at the wall have a pretty noticable pattern....the work one way (most of the time) on the incoming and the other on the outgoing...I was about 50 yards down the wall and had many shots at fish. The fish consistantly broke to Al's left about 20 yards away. Unfortunately with the fog and glare and the speed at which they hit the school of silversides, Al did not see them and it was tough to get the fly in front of the fish. I finally hooked up as I saw 2 fish moving down the slight rip formed at the bend. One of the few good casts I made that morning (thank god !) landed twenty feet in front of the lead fish.....two strips and "wham". I held the fish and got a good hook set and then it was off to the races.

I moved down the wall to talk to Al after that and showed him the fly I was using. It was a basic white deceiver tied on a size 2 hook. I gave Al one and moved to his right to start casting. Now here is where I felt like a jerk......Second cast after I stopped to talk to Al, I hook up again.....I decided to really put the drag to this fish and get it in quick...after the release, I climb back up to the rocks and look over at Al. All of a sudden, his face lights up and his line becomes tight !!! FISH ON !! You could see his nervous way he was fighting the fish as he wanted to officially release this fish if it killed him ! After two reel screaming runs, Al worked his way down to the rocks and held up a beautiful fish of about 7 lbs. It even had 6 spots on it's upper body and was a very colorful fish. We both wished we had cameras but unfortunately, we did not. After the release, Al let's out a big yell of excitement........Man, it was awesome to see him so happy ! Although we left about an hour after that, Al NEVER stopped smiling and every cast after that fish was made with a feeling that his fly was about to get pounded !
Al, congrats ! And very nice job fighting that fish....

John

#19 ·
WAY TO GO AL...

I am very happy for you. This might have a double edge sword affect-- now you are hooked, not the Albie.

Should I get my boat ready for you???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.