Smallest rod for Stripers? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Smallest rod for Stripers?

Was wondering what people use on the small side for schoolie stripers? I've heard of people using down to 5 and 6 wt rods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 AM

My custom wrapped 7wt worked fine for stripes up to 26" this morning I'm sure you can go smaller but I think below a 6wt you might miss the backbone of a heavier rod. If it's just twinkies in the spring I guess you could go lower. I use the 7wt when I figure I'm going to catch mostly schoolies. If something big takes the offering I've still got half a chance of landing it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Couple of things to consider. The Wind and the fish. The Wind is usually a big factor up here and you sometimes need a heaver rod and line combo to punch through the wind. Second, I like to play the fish quickly and not stress them out. With a lighter rod there is a chance that it will take longer to bring in the fish which might put more stress on them. FishHawk just my .02
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM

I have a couple 6-wts that I'm happy with in a variety of settings. have used these off the back beaches as well as in estuaries. This was my first choice rod for surf fishing in CA before I moved east, but then I was most often catching perch, and the occasional halibut or striper.

Now, I'll pick the 6 if the wind is down, I'm fishing flies of 1/0 or smaller and expecting fish to be on the smaller size. Expect I could still put the screws to something a bit bigger should she show up, but would definitely go bigger if I'm specifically looking for something bigger.

mark
Old 08-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the replys. I recently got a new reel and intermediate line for my 5 wt for trout in brackish waters. Realized I might wind up with some schoolies on the end of it too if I'm out at the mouth of the river. I've handled some good-size bass in fresh water with it so I think it'll be strong enough. Casting in the wind hasn't been too bad either.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

7 wt.

When I haven't been throwing a 2hander this year I 've been casting a 7 wt. rod with a 9 wt. floater , I have not had any problems subdoing 30 + in. fish on it , just fight them deeper in to the butt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.