8/8/07 Good concert and best LMB of the year - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
_

Thumbs up 8/8/07 Good concert and best LMB of the year

Dropped the boat in the local lake after work today to catch the Rev Tor Band for this evening's Live On The Lake concert and maybe catch some fish as well. I motored to the calm side of the lake, across from the concert, and started fishing. I could hear the band pretty well as I moved up the shoreline, casting at likely spots but not seeing any action. I went around a point and stopped at the next spot, and as soon as I started casting a bald eagle flew up from a tree overhead. I didn't even see it until it flew away, but it was right above me when it took off . A couple of casts later I was scanning the sky, wondering if the eagle would circle back around, and suddenly there was a fish on the end of the line. It was one of those fish that kept getting bigger and bigger the longer I fought it, and it turned out to be the best largemouth of the season for me . It measured a little over 21" and probably weighed 5 lbs or so. I fished for a while longer but didn't catch any more fish so I went across the lake to catch the rest of the show .

Here's the bass :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onota Bass.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	6499  
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Fly chucker

That sounds like a great summer evening.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Nice fattie!
Sounds like a cool evening.
Wouldya gettum on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Hi Q,
Nice looking bass. Did that come from the lake that begins with O or P? Or perhaps some other nearby lake? I know there is a couple more close by, but their names escape me at the moment.

I have been hoping to score a job at the Pittsfield facility of J.H. Maxymillian so we can try to get together. So far this summer I have done two jobs for them, Both up here in NH. I am waiting for a overnighter in the Pittsfield shops. Never the less keep up the good work & keep the pics coming
Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Pencil me in.....

Nice Hawg, Q
Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM
_

Warren, it was Onota Lake. No big secret there, except maybe the exact location . I haven't used the boat in Pontoosuc in a while. I should give that a try again since I know it has plenty of nice bass and carp and there's always a chance for a pike or tiger muskie. Hmm . . . , maybe that's where I'll go tomorrow.

Q
Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 PM
_

Mike, I got it on a black foam head diver with chartreuse fishair tail. I think this is the same fly but it now has a black head after replacing the head 2 or 3 times. Surprisingly, it isn't the fishes' teeth that destroy the head: it's my pliers from trying to wrestle the fly out of the fishes' mouths.

Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foam diver destroyed.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	6500  
Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Ah yes, that's your go to fly isn't it?
Do you use a floating line, and does it still dive if you do?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Beautiful fish! I have yet to get one that big on fly tackle. There's still time this season.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
_

Thanks John and Popper . . . hey, that reminds me of another good band

Mike: yep, that is the fly that is attached to my 7wt most of the time from May to November unless I'm fishing for carp. I'm hopelessly addicted to topwater fishing and I use it more like a popper than a diver. I do use a floating line, and with a steady retrieve (e.g., trolling or sweeping the rod sideways) it will dive 6" to maybe a foot under water depending on the leader/tippet. I use a few feet of 20# fluoro for a leader with a short length of 40# mono for a bite tippet. It might go a little deeper with a wire leader. I use a loop-loop connection to attach the leader to the fly line so I can remove the whole leader/tippet/fly assembly if I want to switch flies.

Q
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Local Boob

That looks a lot like a fly I saw used for pike with great success...

You didn't happen to be in a fly swap with Dble Haul by any chance?

What are the brand name of those head or do you make them yourself - if its the same thing I saw I'dm never seen anything like it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM
_

Sean, that is the same type of head I used in the pike fly swap a couple of years ago. Those were the deluxe versions with eyes and flash . Now I just tie on a bunch of fishair, build up some thread and jam the head on without any glue. I stopped using glue because the fish often inhale the fly and it's easier to unhook them if I can pull the head off the hook and slide it up the line so it's not in the way.

The heads are called diver heads and are made by Edgewater Foam. Bear's Den sells some Edgewater products but I don't see the pike divers listed. They may be able to get them if they still are available. I got mine from Hunter's, which is now Stone River Outfitters. They still have the Edgewater popper heads and even show the diver head in the picture, but they don't have the item listed in the catalog or online. I hope they still make them! If not, you would probably get the same result with one of the other popper heads turned backwards.

Q
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Juan
That looks a lot like a fly I saw used for pike with great success...
The remnants of a few of those flies are lying in the depths of a deep lake in northeastern Alberta. They certainly do drive the pike nuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.