mid October easy access fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
6th Year Apprentice

mid October easy access fishing

My 78 year old Dad may be coming across in October and he's never caught a striper, so i need spots where the walk is fairly flat and no more than about 1/2 mile or so from the car. he is fairly fit though - he'll be speyfishing the Blackwater in Ireland in September, so he'll be okay on the beach.

schoolies will be fine. he would be chuffed with a 5lber i reckon.

My initial thoughts are the tub from the condos, refuge by the steps, - and maybe ministers point or fox hill road if there are still fish in those spots at that time of year ?

also - any charter captains still operating that time of year for 1/2 a day ? is that an option ?

I will also be hoping to take him for a day out to western mass to troutfish, so if anyone has any specific suggestions for easy access pools on the millers, swift, deerfield, nissitisset etc

This maybe the last time we get to fish together and as he taught me as a kid, if I can send him home to the UK having caught a few stripers and his first wild brownies/rainbows on the fly, I reckon the debt will be partly repaid.

cheers

Mark.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Early morning or evening high tide, calm winds or north winds on any southside beach particularly those from Hardings Beach Chatham west to Herring River Beach.

I would recommend dawn high tide at Herring River fishing as far to the west as you can handle, then start jumping west to Sea St, the cottages along Old Wharf, then up to Lower Cty for a mile and back onto the shore at Pollock Rip Rd, then over to Bass River, etc.

You should see hordes of fish moving with the bait and birds in a distinct east-west path. Just stay in front of them and look for locations where they veer closer to shore.

If the wind is hard south go to Sesuit Harbor / Harbor Beach and work to the left toward the rocks at high tide dropping. If you don't see any birds get back in the car and go to Corporation, Chapin, and Barnstable Harbor.

What part of October? (early / mid / late?)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 PM

The Deerfield sounds like a great idea. I may have to go over too!

There are several places on the Deerfield river that are not bad to get to. Drive up to the Bear Swamp power dam about a mile upstream from the Hoosic Tunnel. There is a little bit a bank to crawl down but the fishing should be good, and if you follow the river from there back out to RT 2 there a more places than you can fish in a day that are accessible from the car.

Disclaimer: I have not been there fishing in ten years so anything could happen. I have driven by several times recently & it still looks the same. I do know a gal who has floated it lately & she says the fishing was very good. She has also fished the Millers and likes it too
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Dad's visit

Mark,

What time of October ?

Don't forget about Scorton Creek.

If it is in the first half of October I will be at cottage in Mashpee and Poppy Bay fishes easily and we could get together. Don't forget, I'm 71 with a bad back and Popponesset Bay is very "do-able" by me.

Gotta be more and maybe some others will PM you locations, to keep them from the "masses".

Keep in touch.

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay
Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 AM

RI breachways would also be a good bet. Not much walking and your in the path of the migration . The RI guys who fish this a lot could help on this one. FishHawk
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM

there are a couple of good spots in hull that time of year. check out the base of allerton hill and green hill at the base and aroud back-short trek. also the bridge on jerusalem rd. all of these arte close and minimal walking.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 AM

I agree the RI shore has good access.
Watch Hill Lighthouse is a stellar surf spot with on the water parking for seniors and handicaped. Downside is it's much more appropreate for surf casting than flyfishing.
All the breachways have on the water parking as well. Flyfishing is easier but landing fish requires someone spry enough to climb down the rocks.
If you had access to a 4wd rigged for beach running you could go for miles just cruising looking for birds. This may also be true on the cape but my understanding is RI is more liberal, less restrictions [second hand info disclaimer applies].
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Jonesin...

RI fishing in October can be great. But it is still fall fishing and it will be hit or miss in my experience. As Juro mentioned, I think one thing the Cape does have to offer that RI won't is the ability to fish opposite shores to get in the lee of the wind. There are fewer options in that regard in RI and many require a longer walk to access. In RI you would have the option of a short hop on 95 to get into CT and fish the protected waters of LI Sound. As others have mentioned I think access and parking is more plentiful in RI. If you make it down this way feel free to hit me up for more specifics. There are also plenty of guides still on the water in RI in October and if you hit it right definitely the chance for a slam that time of year with Albies, Bass and Blues...maybe even a few Bonito making the late push.

Sean
Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
6th Year Apprentice

thanks for the responses guys.

I am not sure he will be up to running the beaches, I was thinking more of posting up somewhere with easy casting too. I had forgotten about scorton - thanks Pete ( 71 ? never ! )

A 1/2 day on the water midweek with an RI guide might be a good idea but then again neither of us has ever flyfished saltwater from a boat so it'll have to be a patient captain

He should be here mid-october, so I guess we will be weather dependant whatever we do.

cheers

Mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.