Washed Up! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 03:15 PM
resigned

Washed Up!

Numerous reports from bather of stripers washing up onto the beach in Southern Rhoddy during big surf yesterday. Alsoi heard from another out on Block Is. seeing huge fish in the surf and no one fishing for them Time to hit the beaches at night after the swimmers leave. Guess those little peanuts have arrived in full for force.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
The Race and Weekapeesit had shoulder to shoulder bass porpoising on krill all day yesterday. I've never seen anything like it. A shrimp fly caught one fish in a hundred or so casts. I've got some video if anyone is interested. It was crazy.

Other notables:
-Not one but two boats (one a grady) on the rocks at Napatree point. No idea what happened, but spooky fishing around them.
-3rd cast of the morning I launch an exploratory kastmaster into breaking fish. Look like blues...wait...they're slashing...I'm tight, the reel sings. My brother, who's never seen tunoids, says "nice bluefish, must be huge". I correct him and say "I think we have found our target species". 3 nice runs later an 7 or 8 lb Bright Green Bonito slides next to the boat and becomes our lunch. After we cleaned him, they were gone and all we could find is bass and blues for the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 AM

I fished the westwall - weekapoug route on sunday and saw very little activity, no dead fish either.
Dead stripers wouldn't surprise me though considering how much bait fishing goes on, especially with inexperienced tourists dominating.
Water is very warm. No actual temps, but on the Z scale it = one hour of body surfing without wetsuit. Should roughly translate to about 75 F.

I've been hearing about the krill feeding bass on all the forums. For some reason I don't recall hearing that before. Has that always gone on and I've just missed it? Or could they be targeting alternative forage for lack of more traditional bait?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Shark Bait

75 is a pretty good guess! I had 74.5 in the Mystic River and 68-72 thoughout Fisher's Island Sound.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Jonesin...

Nick,

Nice job on the bone. We searched all over yesterday in close proximity and came up empty. Are you sure it was krill those bass were on. We had the same activity but the bait looked like extremely tiny (like the size of my thumbnail) anchovy to me. The coloring being a reddish brown was the leading indicator but its hard to tell with that small bait and we never got a blue into the boat to get a regurgitated ID. I keep meaning to get a dip net to keep on board. The same bait was everywhere we went so I hoping it was anchovy and will stick around a grow a little. Things could get good if that happens.

Sean
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

Not sure whether it is tied to anything else but I've seen it as far back as I can remember mostly on the Nantucket Sound side of the cape. My experience is that sometimes the bass still hit flies usually when there is current involved.

Having seen krill in northern waters I am confident that these aren't actually "krill" but copepods or amphipods (?). Krill actually look like little shrimp and color the water with an orange hue but these little brown buggers appear more insect-like and impart a brown hue to the water. The individuals are generally much smaller than krill. Grass shrimp are definitely shrimp, although again different from krill in body shape and behavior.

Shoals of them collect up in Monomoy and on the bayside late summer and you can usually tell when the small gulls sit in the water and pick at the surface.

But the generalized name 'krill' serves it's purpose. Maybe a marine biologist can chime in...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
LBFF Mojo

It would be cool if it was chovies but a little early it seems for em to be showing up. I kinda hope they were, things could get interesting real quick.

I have been seeing tons of small silversides around the beaches right now. Way more than last year at this time and all the way up in the bay as well. The small ones kinda have the brownish look to em back not as prominent as the brown shoals of chovies.

Another thing around right now that some people mistake as krill are small crabs. They are all over right now and about 1/8 inch in size. Pretty cool as when you scoop em up they look just like a crab, only super tiny. Around the docs down in south county you can find bass slurping on them, there are literally thousands of them. Small partridge and oranges in size 16-18 can be the only ticket to getting them when the bass get on them.

-sean
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
Nick,

Nice job on the bone. We searched all over yesterday in close proximity and came up empty. Are you sure it was krill those bass were on. We had the same activity but the bait looked like extremely tiny (like the size of my thumbnail) anchovy to me. The coloring being a reddish brown was the leading indicator but its hard to tell with that small bait and we never got a blue into the boat to get a regurgitated ID. I keep meaning to get a dip net to keep on board. The same bait was everywhere we went so I hoping it was anchovy and will stick around a grow a little. Things could get good if that happens.

Sean

Sean...it was more of Dumb Luck than Good Work believe me! Rusty old kastmaster on a rod that I was trying out some power pro on. Luckily, that stuff can CAAAAST!

Too be honest, I just assumed it was krill of some sort. The water was definitely brown though. And the Bass were definitely more into eating flies/rubber than they are when they are really on the krill.

Nick
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A veritable plethera of forage nowadays. Instead of the dog days we should call it the 'time to get creative' days.

To inspect I often just scoop stuff into my stripping basket. Sometimes it takes the use of opposing hands to get a good look. A kid's net from Xmas tree shops is most effective. I've caught silversides, chovies, yoy herring, bunker, juvi squid, tiny crabs, mole crabs, sand fleas, blue/rock/spider/calico crab, sea worms, baby flounder, elvers, grass shrimp, baby sea robins, mummichog, stickleback, even small puffer on the cape - not to mention the ubiquitous sand eel.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Shark Bait

Here's a video and a pic of the excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9KL2NtW9g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735web.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	6497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736web.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	6498  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
resigned

Nick. I tied some very small crabs from 1/4" EZBoody and ran silly legs thru the body with a sewing needle. Tied on sixe 8 hooks. Used a greased floating line ans leader and held the boat upcurrent from the bass. Deaddrifted the crab straight towards their open mouths with a wiggle cast and got numerous hookups. The real thing was so smal I could'nt make sense of what to tie so I just assumed crabs would work. My success rate has gone up two fold using crabs this summer on the flats and along rocky shorelines.

Phil
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Secret:Time on the water

We have been seeing the surface feeding bass for several weeks now and frankly whatever they are feeding on is so tiny you cannot even see it. I think you would need a very fine seine type net to inspect what is in the water column that they are keyed on. My friend hooked on fish using an anchovy pattern and letting it just drift in front of the bass but all further attempts went totally ignored. The bonito we caught were coughing up small silver sides. Sean I am sorry I did not call you back I did not get your message until Sunday and then it was too late I was wiped out.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Shark Bait

I started throwing a shrimp fly and that got some interest...it was just difficult not to snag one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.