The Perfect Spot - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM

The Perfect Spot

I can only assume that with the limited amount of action on the forum that everyone is enjoying their summers and that their future Bone and Tarpon exploits are still too distant to really talk about right now.
So I have a few personal thoughts I would like to express before everyoneís attention returns to the hot topics of fishing down south again.
The perfect spot! Does it exist?
I doubt that it does and even if it did it would of course be different for everyone, varying with what species and what style of fishing you prefer, and where in the past you have maybe had a good or bad experience.
With all this in mind I think I have found the perfect spot and I have never yet caught a fish there or even had a bite! Itís a spot that has changed my whole outlook on fishing and has been responsible for teaching more about fishing in the last year and a half than I think I have learned in the previous forty years.
Itís a spot that I can go too anytime and live a whole bunch of different fishing experiences and itís a spot that has introduced me to a whole new world of fishing locations and a whole new bunch of friends some of whom I have never yet met.
Well of course by now you have guessed I am sure, I am talking about this forum, this is a place that helped me with my very first real Bone fishing trip and introduced me to the Acklins island bone fishing experience and partnered me up with three of the nicest guys you could possibly meet. Guys that had no problem at all with having a newcomer to bonefishing along, missing shots and even blowing the odd chance for them with casts over the bones tails, and also too perhaps that most knowledgeable and patient fisherman/guide I have ever had the honor to meet, Bob Bergquist, a true gem of a man when it comes to helping a newcomer to this very different style of fishing, it is thanks to this site that I have met these people.
This is a place that is a never ending education in the art of fishing and travel, with few more experienced in the field than itís own Petevicar whom I also had the pleasure of meeting on Acklins island this year.
I also had the very kind offer from one of the forums members on a few days fly fishing for Carp because it was quite evident to this fellow that I needed to learn how to play large fish on a fly rod and also that I needed some casting lesson and how to double haul and a few other ticks, all of which were accomplished and this was a guy who I had never met until we fished together.
So to my mind this IS the perfect spot, this is the place to come when you maybe feel a little down or the snow is flying or you need help or even reassurance. A place where everyone is more than willing to help and no question is too stupid. This is a place where you can live out your fishing fantasies all year as most of us can only do the real thing for a week or two each year.
No youíre not alone, there are others who live with this most wonderful affliction that we call fishing.
My hats off to all you out there, the Moderators, members and users that make this place the Great forum that it is and in my humble opinion the Perfect Spot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Trevor, well said.
You will notice that all that help came without flaming or belittlement. This forum has to be one of the most well behaved & friendly bunch on the net. There is a group of folks down on the Cape that have helped me see the light on flats fishing. I have a long way to go, but the folks here have sure made the journey shorter with their help. It is truly a honor to be in such comapny
Old 08-05-2007, 07:49 AM

The Forum

Very well put...

I too have had the same experience as you.

I did an Acklins trip and had a great time and met some good friends.

Travelling to fish is mostly a solo thing for me because my friends can never coordinate their schedule to mine so I look to do more trips with the guys on this forum.

A special thanks to JimS who helped me on Acklins and on Monomoy when I did my first flats trip there a year ago... he took the time to impart his knowledge to me and helped me a great deal... thats the kind of folks on this forum!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the kind words Trevor, we really enjoyed your company that week and look forward to many more! I would also like to add for the record that you have been quite self deprecating about your bonefishing skills, I recall some great casts and wonderfully taken bones that week!

I concur with the rest of your thoughts about this resource that has become the Internet's hub for all things Acklins and bonefish. Thanks Juro!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:34 PM
but the scenery's great

Well said.........

Nice post and I agree that the most "perfect spot" is not necessarily the most prolific spot. There is a flat on Exuma Island that I fished two years ago. My guide, Drex, would park his boat in there at 4:00 every day (hey, that's Exuma guides for you, I was grateful for the extra half hour) and there was small little bar right at the flat. He would go in and drink while me and my buddy fished. What an absolutely idyllic spot!!

Only caught one bone out of there in a week, but it is by far my most memorable fish cause it came literally within an hour of boarding the plane to go to Fort Lauderdale. We would go in, have a beer, go back out and fish. It was great and was a flat within a flat that stretched for miles. When I'm sitting in church (damn it), I almost inevitably go back to that flat. For me, it it absolutely perfect. It's all about personal preference.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
In moderation

Hi Trevor

I'm sorry I've not been around for a few days but I have been chasing salmon in Iceland.
I'll write a report soon in the salmon section.

I have one more salmon trip - to Gaspe before I get back to warm water fishing.

POete
Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Pete
Never apologize for going fishing we look forward to reading a report and maybe a pictures or two. So Gaspe next, thatís close to my neck of the woods, give or take a few hundred miles!
Ps love the picture of Los Roques, you looked bigger in person though I think?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM

I agree with Trevor. This is a great site and I love reading the posts, especially when the snow is blowing around the yard. I had the pleasure of meeting Juro at an FFF Casting Instructors Continuing Education class the day after I got my certification and was truly impressed with his warm personality and knowledge.
I have several perfect spots, but one that comes to mind is Exuma, Club Peace and Plenty to be exact, the older one. There is no beach at this place, but there is, or was, a water taxi out to the island where there was a nice beach, complete with bar and meals. On a vacation with my wife, we would take the water taxi and I would take a rod, because not far from the beach was a little bonefish hangout, flat would be an exaggeration. I would go for a swim with my wife, have a beer and something to eat, she would then grab a book an lay in the sun, I would grab the rod and go for a walk. Often I would release a bonefish or two and then go back for a another swim and a beer. Then back to the bones again. This was a great vacation with my wife and we both got to do what we like and spent lots of time together. I also booked a guide for a day and went to those amazing flats out by the airport. Tailing bones as far as you could see. What great memories!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.