2-Hand vs 12wt - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Local Boob

2-Hand vs 12wt

I just had a question.

This year I've been using a 2-handed rod to cast very large bunker and squid patterns - took some doing but I've finally got the cast down to the point where the big flies really aren't that much of a problem.

I was just wondering though that before I had a 2-handed rod I was trying to cast these same flies with a 10wt - the 2-hand casts the equivalent of a 12wt - so maybe that wasn't a fair comparison.

I also heard, and this may just be something you hear in the streets, that a 12wt one handed rod - for the most part - is designed more with lifting/fighting fish in mind than as a casting tool.

Reason I'm asking is I do a lot of kayak fishing where the 2-hand is of limited use, and just curious how it would compare to a heavier one handed rod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I see it a little differently.

My kayak is of little use for my two-hander

Serious answer: I don't enjoy fishing from a kayak, so I never do it and am not qualified to answer this question. I use a kayak as a transport but fish standing up. However I would think a big grain single-barrell would be useful for propelling big flies from a sitting position.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Two hander in Kayak

Hi Sean,

I fish with a 2 hander from my Kayak alot. I can't take sitting in them for too many hours unless I'm amongst heavily feeding fish.

I like casting with it, seems to be alittle less effort to get longer distance casts. Line management is a challenge at times..

I can use the standard rod holders with it which is a nice plus. Allows you to troll while your paddling from one spot to another. It also has a real fighting butt for big fish so my wrist doesn't get too strained.

It is alittle more of a challenge getting fish close to the boat at times, But I have a pretty good technique if the fish isn't too big.

I don't have a 12wt for comparision, But I heard the same thing about heavy weight rods too. That they don't cast as well But provide more backbone for lifting. I imagine getting the right grain weight and taper configuration makes a big difference with any rod.

Greg.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Local Boob

90% of the time I beach the yak and fish, I just perfer to be on my feet.

I like the two-hander primarily because its something different, I was just curious how it compared to a similar weight one handed rod - primarily when it comes to big heavy flies.

Like with my 10wt I use a 420gr head - the two hander uses a 550gr head. So is the relative ease of the cast due more to the line being that much heavier, or because of the design of the two hander? The power I can generate with the two hander is much greater than I can with the 10wt, but then again I can generate substainally more power with my 10wt then I can with my 8wt.

I suspose the question works in the reverse as well for the guys that have the lighter version of a 2-hander.

If you had two rods: one a one hander and one a two hander and both loaded properly with the same grain weight head (length could vary) how much difference would their be in power? My guess is that the two-hander would generate more energy just because its length allows for a greater acceleration, but the one hand with a double haul could be pretty close...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:48 PM

I was recently out casting my Xi-2 10 Wt & my new to me 9/10 wt Atlantis with a outbound Intermediate line. Trying to do a comparison to answer this very question. I could defiantly cast the two hander farther with less effort than the ten wt using the same line. Both rods load good with this line.
However I am not all that great of a caster yet. I am good for about 70 ft or so with the single hander. I can cast the two hander about a hundred feet. I dunno if this means more power or not.
Right now I am no so concerned with distance as I am just trying to get the timing & mechanics down to a consistent level & work on my tracking & acceleration to a crisp stop.
I do find with either rod, if I get everything right they shoot line like no tomorrow and no effort on my part. Just like Adrian & Juro do on every cast They make it look so easy.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM

i was became familiar with two handers after my accident and perhaps i have over compensated as a result. however, i can cast a two hander farther and more accurately than i could ever cast one of the single hander 12 wts. it just easier to get the distance if i let that long lever do the work. there are some problems when fishing in a boat but so long as there is someone else to help i don't usually have a problem. my solution for the kayak problem was to get one of the hobie pedal type. with one hand it is difficult to steer and play the fish but in the saltwater i fish it isn't generally a huge problem. on occasion i will hook a large crevalle jack and it's best to just let them tow me around until they become more tractable.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Also, with an axis point between the bottom and top hand, allowing you to use both hands (push with the top and pull with the bottom) you do get significanly more power applied to the rod.. more line speed and distance. timing and casting competency become more critical... I nailed myself a couple of times with a weighted fly that was under full steam from a two handed powered forward stroke..it hurt. That is more likely to happen in a wind or with a poorly executed D loop with a spey cast. Not as likely with overhand casting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.