Pentax Optio W30 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Pentax Optio W30

Cameras are gear, right?
I have an Optio WP and its a nice little camera. waterproof, fits right in your pocket and takes good pics when you can see what you are shooting. The one drawback with the camera is that the monitor is very difficult to see in bright light. Pentax claims that the monitor on the W30 is easily viewed in brght sunlight. Has anyone tried this camera? Can you see the monitor in bright light as they claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Swalt, I have yet to see a digi cam that you can see the monitor in bright light, Unless they have invented some new technology. That is why I like a standard view finder in addition to a LCD screen
Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My Canon D1000 is not only super sharp in bright sun, it automatically tilts from landscape to portrait based on how you hold the camera.

It's not waterproof though!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks Juro. Maybe someone has checked it out. They do claim monitor is visible in bright sunlight. I have a nice canon 35mm, eos I think. But I am looking for something I can put in my pocket, drop in the salt and even stick under the surface and take some pics.
The WP will do that but the drawback is the monitor. I was hoping that the W30's was improved.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If it does I am buying it too! I'll be watching this thread

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 PM

You might check out the Olympus 720SW. Like your Pentex, the 720SW is waterproof (mine says its good to 10' in depth). Unlike the Pentex, the Olympus is also shockproof. Olympus states that it is good for a 5ft free fall onto a concrete floor.

While I don't want to try to test the shock proofing, I did inadvertently partially check their claim when I bent over and the camera slipped out of my shirt pocket and fell about 3' directly onto a large river cobble. A little scuff on the camera's metal body was the only damage incurred.

I haven't noticed any problems with the LCD monitor. However, like Warren says, they seem to all be difficult to see well in bright sunlight. Perhaps the Pentex is worse than most? My Olympus doesn't have a viewfinder which I agree is a nice feature to have for as an alternative to the monitor when sunlight mnakes it difficult to see well.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 AM

I had the W30 and it filled up with water the first time I submerged it.

I do like the layout of that camera though and it takes crystal clear pics with great color. I a friend has one and the outdoor shots are stunning.

I returned it for an Olympus 770sw which is waterproof/freezeproof/shockproof and like it a lot.

It's good to be able to run it under the faucet to remove fish slime/scales at the end of an outing
Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Olympus 770 SW

Is rated as waterproof to 10 meters (33 ft), not 10 ft -- that is a significant improvement in waterproofing without increasing the casing size.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Gunner,
I hadn't heard about the 770SW and it looks like it has some nice improvements over the very similar 720SW. Besides being rated to over 3x the depth of the 720, it looks like they've stengthened the case ("crushproof" up to 220lbs.), improved cold-weather performace slightly (down to 14F compared to 32F for the 720) and added a higher-resolution LCD which they say (swalt take note): "The 2.5" HyperCrystal LCD lets you easily compose or share your shots even in direct sunlight."

This new model looks even better than the 720SW which I am really pleased with. Olympus even shows it having the same MSRP as the 720. Go figure.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM

I have the second generation Pentax Optio WP [waterproof], which deleted the optical viewfinder the first generation had.

The good: The camera takes decent photos and is waterproof.

The disappointing: 1-Lack of an optical viewfinder is huge problem in sunlight. Many shots use estimated "windage" aiming method. I'll ditch this thing as soon as I find a reasonably priced alternative with optical viewfinder and wide angle lens. 2-Lens is not wide angle. This is a major disadvantage when taking fish photos in the small prams I use trout fishing. The minimum I need is the equivalent lens to a 35mm camera's 28mm lens. I would prefer wider.

Beau is one of the best photographers I know. Maybe he has a waterproof answer.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 AM

I have the 720sw

its a great camera.

aside from not having a view finder, the only other drawback is that
the zoom doesnt work when in movie mode, however the movie
quality is decent

Has anyone come up with some polaroid lens solution for this camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.