Question: Spey Practice - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Question: Spey Practice

To all you spey experts. Where is a good place to practice spey casting without it interfering with fishing. Many times I just want to take my rod down to the river without fly and practice, but without a permit, I think this would be illegal and I would have a tough time persuading the inspector that I was just casting.

I also don't want my practicing to interfere with a day on the river where my focus is to locate and hook a fish. As a youngster, I learned to fly cast in a parking lot in Queens NY of all places. Can any body of still water be used for practice, as water is needed to load the rod properly?
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Howie.
Any legal body of water will do from a pond to a beach and all points in between. Grass is also a wonderful place to learn to train your muscles in the movements of the spey cast.
And as for the authorities?? You are not fishing until you have a baited HOOK on the end of your line,, am i correct in this gents?
Derek Browns "Spey Masterclass" has a terrific part in the vid dealing with Derek practice casting on a grass surface by "pegging" his leader to the ground so in effect gaining his anchor that way. You can also use a "grass leader" that works too.
Good luck with the long rod Howie.
Salmon Chaser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
To all you spey experts. Where is a good place to practice spey casting without it interfering with fishing. Many times I just want to take my rod down to the river without fly and practice, but without a permit, I think this would be illegal and I would have a tough time persuading the inspector that I was just casting.

I also don't want my practicing to interfere with a day on the river where my focus is to locate and hook a fish. As a youngster, I learned to fly cast in a parking lot in Queens NY of all places. Can any body of still water be used for practice, as water is needed to load the rod properly?
Howie,

I'd agree with Salmonchaser that there should be no problem about permits if you don't have a hook on your line. I often practice here on my local trout river even when the season is closed. When the season is open, I just make sure to choose a poor piece of water so I can practice without inconveniencing anglers who are fishing in earnest. I use about 3 inches of bright wool yarn, and tie the tippet to it in the middle. This gives some "stick" in the water. I've had trout nip at the wool, but never "wooled" one to the bank. ;-)

I have not been very satisfied with "grass leaders" for practicing since they tend to either stick too much or not at all. Derek Brown's excercise of pegging the end of the leader to practice D-loops is probably the best grass excercise. (Disclaimer: my business, The Usual Press, publishes Derek's DVD for the NA market. There are other good Spey DVDs too, of course.)

On the Matane, you might consider going down to tidewater and practicing there, combining errands in town with some casting practice and a visit to the fish ladder and checking up on angler gossip.

Have fun,
Ian.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Howie
Just practice in front of your chalet ,it's an ideal spot. The water flow is perfect and if someone comes along to fish just get outta the way .
GRass also works OK with the grass leader ,unless the grass is too long.Then just the piece of wool works OK
-
Quote ---(" On the Matane, you might consider going down to tidewater and practicing there, combining errands in town with some casting practice and a visit to the fish ladder and checking up on angler gossip. "

Have fun,
Ian.)

Ian, you're an evil person Da locals MIGHT have a word or two to say about that !!!!!

Cheers
Brian
Old 08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Venture

Thanks guys. Now I have documented a post in accordance to my intentions, so if I get questioned on the river, I can use this as evidence. The tied wool end is a great idea too. I'm gonna practice right in front while watching the fish roll in Lebreaux.

I want to master that"D" spey roll. I was inspired by David on the Petite. I may have out fished him that day but he definately out casted me.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Left, right, left, right...

Practice on water with a chunk of yarn, big enough to give some line stick, is a good idea. Try doing it from a low dock or small point of land. You'll have to alternate casts to your left and your right, which is good, since it means that you'll learn to alternate between upper hand placements, which any spey caster should be comfortable doing. (Those who've mastered cross-body strokes may disagree.)

First, take your leader with yarn attached to your local woods-'n'-water cop, and show him what you'll be using. Unless he's the worst authoritarian hardass since Torquemada, he'll say that there's no problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
chromedome

Howie,

For spey practice, I like to tie up some bushy bucktails on some old cheap long shank hooks I'll probably never use. Then I shear off the hook part where the hook begins to bend off the shank. Now this gives me a simulated fly that behaves much more like the real thing than say yarn, and the law can't accuse me of fishing should a warden come along.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Venture

Even a better idea.....thanks. Between practicing my archery and spey casting, I hope I get to do a little fishing.....
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Something to consider. When I attended a clave in Michigan, I was advised to get a licence, even though I wasn't fishing, as just by simply having a fishing rod in my hand was sufficient to require a licence. Talk to a CO.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 08-17-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.